Author Topic: Found one...I think  (Read 13748 times)

Offline scuba44

Found one...I think
« on: March 08, 2010, 08:38:26 PM »
What do you guys think about this one? -
http://boise.craigslist.org/rvs/1632160761.html

Guy listed it for $15K, then $8K, now $6K.

I can see one huge problem....no windows!  Must be hotter than heck in the summertime in the back of that thing let alone you'd feel like you were wandering around in a dark cave.  Bathroom looks huge though.  Not sure about the falling ceiling panels but description sounds promising with the supposedly rebuilt engine.  Any other opinions?

Offline RJ

• Vantaré Conversion "Miss Vivian"
Re: Found one...I think
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2010, 08:44:56 PM »
Scuba -

Keep looking.

FWIW & HTH. . .

;)
1992 Prevost XL Vantaré Conversion M1001907 8V92T/HT-755 (DDEC/ATEC)
2003 VW Jetta TDI Sportwagon "Towed"
Cheney WA (when home)

Offline Dreamscape

• Dreamscape
  • Global Moderator
  • 1968 Silver Eagle Model 01 8V92T Allison 740 #7443
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2010, 09:08:53 PM »
I think you can do better. It's looks like a lot of work and money to be spent to make it useable.

Paul

Our coach was originally owned by the Dixie Echoes.

Offline Singing Land Cruiser

• Michael & Christi Hargis
  • Found another Bus= '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71
    • michaelhargis.com
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2010, 09:49:46 PM »
Run Scuba Run
M&C
Entertainers/BUSNUTS
http://singinglandcruiser.blogspot.com/
RV Park MGRS/ Sans End RV Park
Master Mason, Noble Shriner
'77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71

Offline Nusa

« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2010, 10:25:13 PM »
"Wheel Chair Accessible" means that everything is built for someone who is extremely short (or in a chair). Counters, appliances, and storage will all be too low for comfort for most people. So the value of the interior would be extremely low, even if well done. Could be a find for a special-needs buyer, however.

Offline Barn Owl

• Roanoke, VA
  • PD4106-1063 "Wheezy Bus"
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2010, 10:35:26 PM »
Buy it if you can get it for scrap price, and salvage the RV stuff, if you are going to DIY. For all of those who get upset when I use the word "scrap price" flame away.
L. Christley - W3EYE Amateur Extra
Blue Ridge Mountains, S.W. Virginia
It’s the education gained, and the ability to apply, and share, what we learn.
Have fun, be great, that way you have Great Fun!

Offline TomC

« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2010, 10:45:15 PM »
I have the earlier '77 AMGeneral 10240B.  This is the next generation of the same bus-has the same dash, even the same transmission shifter.  If you wanted to gut the interior using the existing equipment to make a new interior-go for it.  The engine and trans is right.  I can tell you that these buses are built like brick you know what houses.  It does have 22 inches of under floor space to fit the gray, black water tanks, deep cycle batteries, propane tanks, storage area, etc.  The thing is, yes this bus is cheap, but it will take ALOT of work.  It took me 6 years to do my conversion-with the first year almost entirely on my back building all the brackets and supports for the under neath above mentioned items.  In this economy-I think you could do better.  Good Luck, TomC
Tom & Donna Christman. 1985 Kenworth 40ft Super C with garage. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.

cody

« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2010, 01:51:11 AM »
It's comforting to know that it's had the customary rebuild on the engine and tranny, all buses that are sold for a fraction of what a rebuild of this type costs are done this way, looks like some major roof leaks tho, I'm thinking you'd need a very good riveter and spend some major time sealing it if you chose to tackle this one, it would be a major job to make it right.

Offline desi arnaz

« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2010, 03:52:26 AM »
run dont walk!!realy crappy workmanship. 1970's paneling   no windows ugly cabinets from home depots trash bin,not worth $500
thomas f  Bethlehem n.h

Offline zubzub

• '53 4104. Roadworthy but rough around the edges.
    • pics of my bus etc....
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2010, 04:36:32 AM »
If! they have documents of the rebuild and you like the platform it may be the bus for you. Many say run, but if you are going to strip out the interior and redo it anyhow, what does the interior matter.  By documents I mean original dated receipts for the engine tranny work, clearly stating what was done.  You never know maybe this is the mythical that really has had a "recent rebuild"

Offline John316

• MCI 1995 DL3, DD S60, Allison B500.
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2010, 05:01:17 AM »
Way too much for that thing. Run, buddy, Run!

God bless,

John
Sold - MCI 1995 DL3. DD S60 with a Allison B500.

Offline scuba44

« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2010, 05:59:30 AM »
Thanks guys....I was assuming the inside would have to be gutted and redone (by me..DIY style).  So....IF the guy has receipts and the engine, tranny are good, etc...  What is a reasonable price for this beast?

Roof leaks...yeah, that could be a major problem.

Offline zubzub

• '53 4104. Roadworthy but rough around the edges.
    • pics of my bus etc....
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2010, 06:27:43 AM »
I'm going to champion this old bus.  Roof may just be an emergency or other hatch leak, in which case no big deal.  If the rivets are leaking I would walk away...too much work and why the hell would they be leaking unless things are really falling apart.  Also remember the ceiling could have fallen in from a lousy install and condensation.  Closed buses get damp and the interior work is crap.  the economy is crap so I'm thinking the bus is worth basically scrap + engine. So I would..
1.go to a big local scrap yard and ask what they will give for *****lb (-the engine weight) bus.
2. search online locally for the same engine/condition you have and find out an average price.
Add 1 + 2 -($1000 to pull the engine, transport scrap to yard etc...)= ?
 This is probably the highest # the owner could get, so I would lowball it and see.  You will have plenty of time to bargain, it's not going anywhere soon.  Please note this has to do with local prices, scrap prices and engines prices vary all over the place, so quotes from 300 miles away don't mean much unless shipping is included.
too much time on my hands...Patrick

Offline bryanhes

• Eagle Model 10 "For Now"
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2010, 06:34:47 AM »
I would keep looking as well. You will have double the work tearing out all the junk built interior to start over.

Bryan

Offline luvrbus

« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2010, 06:45:47 AM »
I am with Zub on this I see 2 furnaces a new fridge, hot water heater, 2 air cond and that electric panel is not cheap and it is all new.
Fwiw I saw that bus at Smith the DD dealer in Bosie before so they may not be pulling your leg about the work.
? for you is that bus around the Fruitland, Payette area 

good luck
Life is short drink the good wine first

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal