Author Topic: Whats the going Rate to have Spray Foam Insulation Applied???  (Read 16798 times)

Offline Highway Yacht

• *****Jimmy*****
  • Locust, North Carolina
    • WWW.MciBusTalk.Com
Trying to get all my ducks in a row and figure out my budget for the conversion. Thinking I am leaning towards the Spray Foam Insulation over Foam Board at the moment. Was just wondering what kind of dollar figure most of you guys spent to have this done. Especially the ones that had it done in my part of the Country (North Carolina) as I know pricing varies according to regions. Did you contact a company that does home insulation to do it, or did you have a company do it that specializes in refridgerated trailers? Any info would be helpful. Thanks Jimmy
1979 MC-9  8V71-Turbo / HT740             * www.MciBusTalk.com *
Locust, North Carolina                           A Site Dedicated To MCI's

Offline belfert

Re: Whats the going Rate to have Spray Foam Insulation Applied???
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2010, 11:21:51 AM »
I asked a home insulation company about the cost for their spray foam.  $1 per inch of thickness per square foot.  They typically don't fill the cavity completely to avoid removing the excess, but they are used to dealing with 3 1/2" thick cavities.

This is in Minneapolis, Minnesota.  They said would probably give a discount for bringing the bus to them.
Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN

Offline Hobe

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2010, 01:38:58 PM »
I have had a lot of coaches foamed at my shop. The price to do 3 inches is 2K Fred

cody

« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2010, 01:53:41 PM »
I wonder what would happen if a person had a bus ready to be foamed and drove it over to where the crew was foaming a house and just brought up the subject over a beer at the end of the day lol.

Offline belfert

« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2010, 02:43:53 PM »
I have no idea if the price I was quoted is any good or not.  I never checked around as I wasn't ready to actually buy.

I only asked these guys because they insulated my house.  I only had a small area of the house spray foamed and they charged me the $400 minimum.  If I had been on the ball I probably could have had some spray foam put in the bus with the rest of my $400.
Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN

Offline DaveG

« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2010, 02:46:18 PM »
You can purchase foam kits that you spray yourself, somewhere around $2.00 per board foot, generally the largest you can get is 550-600 bf and will cost $750-1300...depending.

Offline gm4106

« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2010, 03:14:09 PM »
I did the do it your self kit. I think it was the 550-600 bf. I would have to say I was pretty happy with it. I got about a 1/3 of the bus done. Price was in the $600.00 range.
GM PD4106-1689 8V71TA  V730
Mount Holly,NC

Offline belfert

« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2010, 03:39:46 PM »
You can purchase foam kits that you spray yourself, somewhere around $2.00 per board foot, generally the largest you can get is 550-600 bf and will cost $750-1300...depending.

How are they defining a board foot?  1" thick for a square foot just like lumber?

Offline JackConrad

• Orange Blossom Special II
  • 73' MC-8 8V71/HT740 Southwest Florida
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2010, 04:13:29 PM »
How are they defining a board foot?  1" thick for a square foot just like lumber?

Yes    Jack
Growing Older Is Mandatory, Growing Up Is Optional
Arcadia, Florida, When we are home
http://s682.photobucket.com/albums/vv186/OBS-JC/

Offline Busted Knuckle

• 6 Setras, 2 MCIs, and 1 Dina. Just buses ;D
    • KY Lakeside Travel ... Just 4 the Fun of it!
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2010, 04:37:36 PM »
I wonder what would happen if a person had a bus ready to be foamed and drove it over to where the crew was foaming a house and just brought up the subject over a beer at the end of the day lol.

Cody ya need to bring up the subject during lunch, and that there will be COLD BEER at the end of the day. That way they can hop on it before cleaning up the equipment! ;)
;D  BK  ;D
(then you get to spend the rest of the afternoon icing down the beer and final prep work before they start spraying! ;D)
Busted Knuckle aka Bryce Gaston
KY Lakeside Travel's Busted Knuckle Garage
Huntingdon, TN 12 minutes N of I-40 @ exit 108
www.kylakesidetravel.net

;D Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! ;D (at least thats what momma always told me! ;D)

Offline Depewtee

« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2010, 07:29:29 PM »
This is sort of on topic...

My new to me Prevost (I still need to compose a post about the new bus) has spray foam on the inside AND on the outside.  The entire undercarriage is spray foamed.  The foam underneath is not bad as you cannot see it without crawling under the bus, but inside the wheel wells the foam is peeling/chipping/degrading and looks bad.  In addition, the previous owner had a flat on the driver's tag and did some damage to that area - the slinging tread knocked off a large portion of the foam.  I picked at some of the foam in that area and found it was pretty easy to remove. My question is, what is the downside to removing all of the foam from the wheel wells?  If I remove it, should I replace it with paint, undercoating, Rhino Liner, or something else?  By the way, the PO said the flat did all of this damage, but if you look down the side of the bus you can see where he (or someone else) scraped up against something.

In addition to the fender flare, he ripped the grill off of the vent hole for the generator radiator.

Here is one more to hold everyone until I compose my "I just bought another bus" post.

Brian S.
Brian Shonk
Fort Walton Beach, FL (Florida Panhandle)
1981 Prevost LeMirage Liberty Coach
1984 TMC MC-9

Offline Zeroclearance

« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2010, 08:30:49 PM »
Brian I wouldn't remove the foam.   My Prevost has the same sprayed foam.  I have touched up the missing "rock and debris hits" foam with the touch up expandable foam (spray can) that  you get at HD or Lowes.

It really does protect the interior of the wheel well, and insulates the inside of the bus from road noise.

Online luvrbus

« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2010, 09:41:20 PM »
Best prices are at trailer dealers like Great Dane,Fruehaul,Wabash,Strick along with other refer trailer dealers and a plus is they know what they are doing 

good luck
Life is short drink the good wine first

Offline TomC

« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2010, 08:31:42 AM »
Spraying foam is one of those jobs I'll leave to the professionals.  I had 2.25" sprayed into my bus and it's the best thing I had done.  One it really smells (if it is the industrial grade stuff).  And it sticks to just about anything, so forget reusing your clothes again.  Then grinding it down to the surface again-lots of mess also. 
When mine was done, the crew of two got to my bus at 8pm and worked all night since it was cooler.  Were done at 6am with the bus cleaned up.  Was one of the best $1650.00 I spent, and will have my truck done that way again.  Good Luck, TomC
Tom & Donna Christman. 1985 Kenworth 40ft Super C with garage. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.

Offline RTS/Daytona

• Pete RTS/Daytona ->'89 TMC 35' 102" 6V92TA 4:10
    • BUS CONVERSION PARTS FOR SALE / PROJECTS
« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2010, 08:55:23 AM »
I chose a different method

I used Rmax ->> http://www.rmaxinc.com/wall-r-matte-plus3.asp ".......R-Matte Plus-3 is a rigid foam plastic thermal insulation board composed of environmentally sound, closed cell, polyisocyanurate foam bonded to a durable white-matte (non-glare) aluminum facer and a reflective reinforced aluminum facer. This product is suitable for use in wall sheathing applications in new residential, commercial and agricultural buildings and for thermal retrofit construction to existing buildings. R-Matte Plus-3 is ideal for use in both frame and masonry construction. R-Matte Plus-3 is available in ½", 5/8" and ¾" thicknesses, as well as, several different lengths....."  Reflective foil one one side - non-glare alum on the other side

I just keep ALL THE DOOR AND WINDOWS OPEN - and used SOLVENT based contact cement - with a roller I just applied cement to the roof and to aluminum surface of the foam - I used muliple smaller pieces to make it easier - wait 60 second - then just TOUCHED to two glued surfaces together - tap them with a mallet and a small 2 x 4 - You would need a stick of dynamite to get them down

I framed my ceiling with 2 x 3 and left chanels for my "H" pattern "DUCTED A/C VENTS"  - have pictures if you need to see what I did  - I used multiple layers of foam to a total of 2.5" in most areas - I used the silver A/C duct tape on the seams (just to be sure ??)

The results were absolutely amazing - My RTS with it's huge windows (they are tinted) will HOLD TEMP a long long time - It's like driving in a thermos bottle

JUST MY WAY -
If you ain't part of the solution, then you're part of the problem.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal