Author Topic: Converting to spin-on fuel filters  (Read 8735 times)

Offline Fredward

• 2000 Country Coach Magna (not a bus)
Converting to spin-on fuel filters
« on: March 15, 2010, 11:31:24 AM »
Does anybody know the NAPA part number for the spin on filter base that I need to convert my 8V71 MC-5 from canister type fuel filters to spin on? I'm getting ready to head out in a few weeks and while I do my annual filter change, I figure I might as well go to the spin on style. Looks like I can just bolt them right on where the canister ones are located now. I will try cross referencing the spin on numbers from the cartridge style and then see what the correct base is.

Are primary and secondary the same base?

FRed
Fred Thomson

Offline luvrbus

Re: Converting to spin-on fuel filters
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2010, 11:47:13 AM »
Fred, 
5148023 for primary
5148171 for secondary  DD numbers Napa can cross it over

good luck
Life is short drink the good wine first

Offline JohnEd

« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2010, 12:02:35 PM »
I will go out on a limb here and say that the the reason toconvert is that cannister is more trouble to change.  How do they compare in terms of filter area, cost, and does the cannister make priming any easier?

Thanks,
John
"An uneducated vote is a treasonous act more damaging than any treachery of the battlefield.
The price of apathy towards public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." Plato
“We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light.”
—Pla

Offline bryanhes

• Eagle Model 10 "For Now"
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2010, 01:41:06 PM »
In talking to a bus charter owner he said he preferred the cartridge type. Reason being that you could drain easily to check for water in the fuel. I know they make the spin on with a drain valve but have heard they are a bit more expensive. I just opted to keep the cartridge for now unless there is a bigger benefit to spin on I am unaware of. Which could be  :-\

Bryan

Offline Fredward

• 2000 Country Coach Magna (not a bus)
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2010, 02:12:04 PM »
I've got an electric fuel pump plumbed in for priming so the only reason to get away from the canisters for me is the mess. I helped a buddy bring an Eagle home last fall and we had to change filters a few times and the spin ons are way easier than the canisters and easy to prime because you just fill them up and screw them on.

I'll see how much it all costs at NAPA. I've got the bus sitting in the shop right now and figured it would be an easy project with measureable benefit..........

Of course, if it ain't broke; why fix it.................   Fred
Fred Thomson

Offline James77MCI8

« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2010, 03:50:04 PM »
Spin ons are more readily available at truck stops.
77 MCI 8
8V-71 4 spd

Offline rv_safetyman

• Jim Shepherd
    • Bus Project Details
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2010, 04:31:59 PM »
Fred, I would sure consider the Fuel Pro 382 (https://www.davcotec.com/DFP-_fp382.htm).  Good water separator, you can see when to change filter, self priming, etc.  Most new trucks have them in place of the two spin-on filters.  You can get them at a DD dealer, truck dealer and the E place.  It is a bit pricey, but I would not consider going back to spin-on filters.

Jim
Jim Shepherd
Evergreen, CO
’85 Eagle 10/Series 60/Eaton AutoShift 10 speed transmission
Somewhere between a tin tent and a finished product
Bus Project details: http://beltguy.com/Bus_Project/busproject.htm
Blog:  http://rvsafetyman.blogspot.com/

Offline Lin

• 1965 MC-5a
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2010, 04:53:41 PM »
Jim.

When you say they use it instead of two spin-ons do you mean it replaces both the primary and secondary filters?  How easy are they to install?
You don't have to believe everything you think.

Offline rv_safetyman

• Jim Shepherd
    • Bus Project Details
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2010, 05:01:44 PM »
Lin, the recommended installation is to eliminate both filters and plumb the outlet of the filter directly to the pump and then the outlet of the pump directly to the injector inlet connection.  Very easy to install if you can find a location.  Two bolt and then the hose connections.  They recommend installing the filter above the fuel level in the tank.  That always seemed strange to me, but it works great.

Jim
Jim Shepherd
Evergreen, CO

Offline gus

« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2010, 06:58:42 PM »
I didn't realize there were internal canister type filters?

My 4104 primary filter is a stacked disc type which only requires flushing out with solvent and reinstalling, a very neat setup and it has a drain valve. It is a bit messier than a spin on, but not much.

My secondary is a spin on, wish it was also a stacked disc. I think the original was.
PD4107-152
PD4104-1274
Ash Flat, AR

Offline dougyes

« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2010, 08:02:59 PM »
We changed all our buses to Fuel Pro. They are stock on the new MCI's.

Offline Lin

• 1965 MC-5a
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2010, 08:11:55 PM »
So in the installation, you are basically just bypassing the secondary filter.  The assumption then would be that one pass through it is as good as two passes with standard filter.
You don't have to believe everything you think.

Offline rv_safetyman

• Jim Shepherd
    • Bus Project Details
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2010, 09:22:28 PM »
Lin, probably words, but you eliminate both filters.  You may be saying that you bypass the secondary filter in terms of plumbing, but both filters are gone. 

The Fuel Pro, as dougyes, noted are pretty much standard for most big diesel engines from what I can tell. 

It is neat to be able to see the quality of your fuel and be able to observe when a filter change is needed.  Pretty easy to change the filter as well.  Almost no chance to loose the prime.

Jim
Jim Shepherd
Evergreen, CO

Offline gumpy

• Some Assembly Required
  • Slightly modified 1982 MC9
    • bus.gumpydog.com
« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2010, 10:47:19 PM »
Does anybody know the NAPA part number for the spin on filter base that I need to convert my 8V71 MC-5 from canister type fuel filters to spin on? I'm getting ready to head out in a few weeks and while I do my annual filter change, I figure I might as well go to the spin on style. Looks like I can just bolt them right on where the canister ones are located now. I will try cross referencing the spin on numbers from the cartridge style and then see what the correct base is.

Are primary and secondary the same base?

FRed

Fred,

Before you go spending a bunch of money on those filter bases, you might want to come see me.  I think I still have the set that I took off my bus, and maybe even a few filters to go with them.  They should bolt right up to your 5.

I'll make you are VERY good deal on them.   ::)

craig

Craig Shepard
Located in Minnesquito

http://bus.gumpydog.com - "Some Assembly Required"

Offline JackConrad

• Orange Blossom Special II
  • 73' MC-8 8V71/HT740 Southwest Florida
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2010, 04:53:21 AM »
The FuelPro is also a great diagnostic tool. If you are loosing power, look at the filter. If the fuel is up to the "change filter" line, you have a plugged filter, if the fuel in the clear bowl in black, you have algae in your fuel, if you see air bubbels, you have a leak and are sucking air in the supply line, if no fuel in bowl  you have a blockage or are out of fuel.  Jack
Growing Older Is Mandatory, Growing Up Is Optional
Arcadia, Florida, When we are home
http://s682.photobucket.com/albums/vv186/OBS-JC/

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal