Author Topic: Anyone know if the fabric around the wiring in old GMCs is maybe asbestos?  (Read 2871 times)

Offline zubzub

• '53 4104. Roadworthy but rough around the edges.
    • pics of my bus etc....
The wires are stranded with a fairly brittle casing, but the cloth wrap is still good after all these years + it doesn't burn...it will turn red (I know this from when I shrink wrap connectors....  Thes are the wires that are 14 Gage going from rear to front control panel and from front panel to dash,,,oh yeah here is a pic.

Offline fe2_o3

Don't breath it man...It'll eat your innards...Cable
Sofar Sogood
1953-4104
KB7LJR
Everett, WA.

Offline gmbusguy1

Hey Zub, Looks like you are getting the old girl's wiring under control.

No I do not think the wire cover is asbestos It is just good old fashioned cloth

And there are not any wires on a 4104 that run from the dash to the rear control panel

all of the wires that run front to rear (between 35 and 48 depending on who the bus was built for) are terminated at either the drivers electrical panel at the front then on to the dash and other points, or at the rear electrical panel on the curb side behind the RR wheel and then on to the tailgate and lights etc.

Hope this helps

if you need assistance with your 4104 wiring I have done a few and might be able to help with any questions you have

Chris
Chris

Offline zubzub

• pics of my bus etc....
Thanks Chris , about a week ago I was really lost...pretty much up to speed on the wiring at this point....mostly the fuss pot in me that wants to get all the tell tales working.  I've got the basics under control, temp, oil, air etc...  I even drew a 4 relay schematic to replace the alarm thingy (which has been removed from my bus) so that I can have a over temp/low oil/low air/ rear door alarm buzzer.  Really are more serious things to do but I'm feeling electrical.  At one point I seriously considered just running new wires from the rear junction panel to the front one, but as the existing wires seem intact I'm sticking with them...oh actually I did post this elsewhere but if you know a quick fix for the #8 in this illustration I would be glad to hear it, was hoping to tidy that up tomorrow, My #8 has fallen apart.

Thanks for the encouraging words, patrick.

Offline gus

I'm pretty sure all that covering is cotton. If it were synthetic it probably would melt when exposed to flame.

I don't think there is any asbestos anywhere in the bus.
PD4107-152
PD4104-1274
Ash Flat, AR

Offline luvrbus

If you are worried about it you can buy a test kit for 10 bucks the old bus floors up till the mid 70's had asbestos in those I have checked a few of those before my 64 mci 5 had asbestos in the flooring cover .
The wiring I have no idea never even crossed my mind till now

good luck
Life is short drink the good wine first

Offline Len Silva

• Angle Parked in a Parallel Universe
    • Leonard Studio
It would be much simpler and less expensive to use diodes for the alarm buzzer than relays.  I'd be happy to help with the design if you need it. 

Len

Hand Made Gifts

Ignorance is only bliss to the ignorant.

Offline zubzub

• pics of my bus etc....
That would be great Len. I sent you a PM.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal