Author Topic: A/C Units on MCI 9  (Read 4435 times)

Offline berrybus

A/C Units on MCI 9
« on: August 07, 2006, 01:22:24 AM »
I am placing three A/C units on my MCI 9, are there any recommendations on roof locations that would work the best?  What about the emergency exits that already exist?  Could I utilize these openings?  Or should I just place them according to internal layout scheme? ??? 
"No man is a bus."

Offline JackConrad

• Orange Blossom Special II
  • 73' MC-8 8V71/HT740 Southwest Florida
Re: A/C Units on MCI 9
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2006, 04:00:11 AM »
   Roof hatches can be used, but it is not a "drop-in". Hatches are larger then the standard 14" X 14" opening required for a roof AC. You HAVE to consider your interior layout so that a roof AC does not end up with a wall directly below it or the AC discharge blowing directly against an interior wall.  If you want the ACs exactly centered, you will need to cut the center framing member that runs the length of the bus. If you do this, you need to add some steel to reinforce the opening. Many people offset the AC to the side of this center framing member (This sets the ACs 7" off center) If your interior design has the hallway off set slightly, this puts the AC in the hallway for better air distributuion. Hope this helps, Jack
Growing Older Is Mandatory, Growing Up Is Optional
Arcadia, Florida, When we are home
http://s682.photobucket.com/albums/vv186/OBS-JC/

Offline TomC

« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2006, 08:06:04 AM »
On my AMGeneral 40 x 102 transit, I offset the A/C's, but my roofline is alot flatter than yours.  My bath is 4ft wide with a 2ft aisle and 2ft wardrobe/reefer, so offsetting it really worked well.  I placed the middle one slightly forward of center offset to the left, the front close to the front offset to the right so to better aim at the driver (mainly me), and the rear A/C over the bed offset to the left.  When driving, generally run the front and back, with the center one used also when the temp gets above 100 degrees.  I have the standard hang down diffusers (bus has 6'10" headroom) and like the breeze they create.  The only thing I'd change is to use a quieter A/C than the Coleman.  They have only a 2 speed fan (like high and med), and would like a quieter fan for nighttime use.  Course that doesn't happen much.  If I could fit it, I would install a CruisAir 14,000btu basement split system with the condenser underneath and one 7,000btu evaporator in the bedroom and the other 7,000btu evaporator in the front for quiet night time use.  Or, just replace the center with the DuoTherm penquin (but then the A/C's wouldn't match! LOL).  Good Luck, TomC
Tom & Donna Christman. 1985 Kenworth 40ft Super C with garage. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.

Offline Frank @ TX

« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2006, 10:35:55 AM »
Hi Berry,
We have an MC-9 with 3 roof AC's.
Dometic Penguins , when we have to run them all night they are quiet enough to sleep.
The Dometic Comfort Center termpostat runs them at high, med or low fan speed depending on the difference between the existing room temp and the set point we choose ( nice feature ).

The most important AC is the front one.
We located the AC just front of the front hatch BUT still on the metal roof.
The hottest and the coolest seat in the bus is the driver.
Our front AC can be run from the inverter while the bus is on the road.
Nice for those medium days when running the gen is too much.
Also, run tubing from the condenced water thru the walls to the outside.
No more wet windows and you can see the water dripping from each tube.
Hope this helps

Frank

Offline NewbeeMC9

• NewbeeMC9
  • 1981 MC9 8V71, HT 740
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2006, 05:22:34 PM »
I have two A/Cs in the openings,

IMHO
- Keep the openings,  youl'll like having them for access alike fixing /maintaining three a/c or just having a sun deck or bikini watching or strapping kayaks or solarpanels etc. (or if in case of a roll on the side  :o) and

-we have trees around here and the ones that usually rub the bus are usally curb side so i recommend offset to driver side.

-Keep the openings!   you have to buid up the hole wherever you put them.

YMMV

Newbee(wish I had my openings)MC9 8)

PS keep your options and your hatches open :D
It's all fun and games til someone gets hurt. ;)

belfert

« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2006, 06:47:26 PM »
I was going to use the hatches for my A/C, but my metalworker friend thought it would be easier to cut a different hole in the roof than to frame in and cover the hatches.  I centered my A/C units, but we welded in some large tubular steel to replace the center rib we cut out.  (The center rib isn't very heavy at all in a Dina.)  The tubular steel was probably overkill, but it was left over from skinning the windows.

Brian Elfert

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal