Author Topic: How do you plug your coach in ?  (Read 6350 times)

Offline travelingfools

How do you plug your coach in ?
« on: April 04, 2010, 07:17:12 PM »
So as I'm getting deeper into the electric on my bus, I'm searching for ideas on how to get power from the "pole"  into my panel. I'm setting up a 50amp service. I know how to wire it, but what I'm asking is how do you guys get the chord to the panel. My old S&S had a fiberglass door that the chord pulled out through. I was considering a hole in the bay floor with some sort of cover for when the chords not going through it, but the thought of having to deal with the chord comming from under the bus when I get older isn't very appealing. Im guessing there is some very creative ways others have come up with.
John P, Lewiston NY   1987 MC 9 ...ex NJT

Offline Stormcloud

• FMCA#407220
Re: How do you plug your coach in ?
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2010, 07:34:24 PM »
I presently have the 50amp cord exiting through a 4" hole in the floor of the bay.

Its a pain to pull the cord back through the hole and coil it neatly, plus it takes valuable space.
I now have 50amp Marinco connectors to install in the coach sidewall, and the end of the cord.
They are available as a set on eBay, but there are other sources too.

This job also will have to wait in the job jar, until the new workshop is built.

Mark
Mark Morgan  
1972 MCI-7 'Papabus'
8v71N MT654 Automatic
Brandon, Manitoba, Canada in summer
somewhere near Yuma, Arizona in winter(but not 2020)

Offline belfert

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2010, 08:01:46 PM »
I installed a marinco 50 amp receptacle into the side of the bus.  I then bought a matching cord on Ebay.
Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN

Offline luvrbus

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2010, 08:20:10 PM »
I have the Marinco connector inside my bay with dump valves, cable hookup ,telephone jack, fresh water, and the tank fill  my 50 amp cable goes through the bottom of the bay where I have a 4 inch opening with a cap ( looks of like a sewer plug) I can either roll it up in that bay without unpluging from the coach or I can remove it and store the cable else where if I choose too, my bay doors stay shut when on full hook ups.
We all do it different but I don't like the plug on the outside skin of the bus

good luck
Life is short drink the good wine first

Offline bobofthenorth

• R.J.(Bob) Evans
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2010, 08:21:39 PM »
Marinco here too but give some thought to where you are going to store that 50 amp cord.  The builder of our coach neglected that detail.  That big cable doesn't have to be very cold before it gets real hard to coil up, not to mention wet and dirty if you happen to be breaking camp in wet weather.
R.J.(Bob) Evans
Used to be 1981 Prevost 8-92, 10 spd
Currently busless (and not looking)

The last thing I would ever want to do is hurt you.
Its the last thing but its still on the list.

Offline belfert

« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2010, 08:28:31 PM »
The real Marinco cords with the fully molded ends seem to be somewhat more flexible than other 50 amp cords.  Part of it is in the plastic used for the cord insulation and part to do with the number of strands in the wire.

I don't have a real Marinco cord and it is a bear to deal with.  It gets left at home almost every trip as I never stay at campgrounds and it takes up a lot of space in the bay.  I would have to come up with something better if I was visiting campgrounds on a regular basis.
Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN

Offline Oregonconversion

• Somethingforever.com
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2010, 11:18:28 PM »
I use a 12GA extension cord that runs about 50'. Thats it!  It works great, I just have to make sure I run one thing at a time or my power bar circuit will trip.
1977 MC8
8V92 HT740

Offline robertglines1

• steam nut
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2010, 05:02:46 AM »
I also use hole in bay floor.The sharp edge is covered with a piece of heater hose slit long ways and glued and screwed in place..to store the water hose and elect cord I put a pair of bike hooks hanging from bay ceiling (about 10 inches from each side) and loop both water and electric around both hooks letting them sag to bay floor..The sewer hose I slide inside a piece of 4 inch thin wall plastic sewer pipe that runs about 7 ft across bay...the opening on the floor has a door that is held close by gravity when not in use...I also have a boat in a slip and use the marine set up on it but you still have to deal with the cord..It is simpler on bus to just pull threw hole and wrap around the hooks...its there and you can unwrap what you need...works for me...happy bussing. Bob
Bob@Judy  98 XLE prevost with 3 slides --Home done---last one! SW INdiana

Offline JackConrad

• Orange Blossom Special II
  • 73' MC-8 8V71/HT740 Southwest Florida
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2010, 05:09:50 AM »
   We have the 50 amp Hubbell (similar to the Marinco). In addition to the 50 amp cord, we carry a 30 amp cord (much lighter and easier to handle) with a 50 amp Hubbell plug on the end.  We put a jumper between the 2 hot terminals in this plug so the 30 feeds both legs. This cord is much easier to handle when 30 (or 20) is all that is available.  We store our cables, and hoses, in a slide out try in the former OEM spare tire compartment.  Jack
Growing Older Is Mandatory, Growing Up Is Optional
Arcadia, Florida, When we are home
http://s682.photobucket.com/albums/vv186/OBS-JC/

Offline Dreamscape

• Dreamscape
  • Global Moderator
  • 1968 Silver Eagle Model 01 8V92T Allison 740 #7443
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2010, 05:23:33 AM »
Our 50 amp plug cord is hardwired to the main panel. It goes through the floor and is not too bad for handling. I just prefer it to be hardwired, less chance for potential problems with failing. I bought welding cable as it's easier to handle, more flexible.

Our coach was originally owned by the Dixie Echoes.

Offline bevans6

• 1980 MCI MC-5C
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2010, 05:39:32 AM »
I use the Marinco twist-lock and screw down outside socket on the side of the bus, and a 25 ft 30 amp power cord, and yeah, it's enough to try to move around and coil up when it's cold.  I carry a  second extension cord for if I need to be farther away from the outlet, and a 15 amp adaptor.  I don't have a well thought out way to store the cable, if/when I do it will probably be a powered wheel to roll it up on in the bay.

Brian
1980 MCI MC-5C, 8V-71T from a M-110 self propelled howitzer
Allison MT-647
Tatamagouche, Nova Scotia

Offline luvrbus

« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2010, 06:06:25 AM »
Brian, be careful with the reels and remember to you can not leave any cable on the reel when in use I did on another coach we had the reel was made by Duro  www.durohosereels.com/rec_vehicle it cost me a new cable and reel and almost a coach by not reading the manual you know the male thing LOL  

good luck
Life is short drink the good wine first

Offline paul102a3

« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2010, 06:14:54 AM »
To store the shore power cord, go to Home Depot/Lowes and buy one of those large plastic tubs they sell with the poly rope handles. The tub stands about 14 inches tall and is about 20 inches in diameter.

A 50 amp cord will coil very neatly around the perimeter of the tub leaving lots of room for water hoses, cleaning supplies or whatever else you wish to store. You can put a wet dirty cord away without damaging anything in the bus.

Once stored in the tub for a short while, the cord will take a set making subsequent coiling very easy, even when cold.

The tub will hold up to a 50 foot long, 50 amp power cord.

Offline robertglines1

• steam nut
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2010, 06:34:40 AM »
We all do it different...just to add to post about a tight wound cord on a partial reel it will create heat and at a near max load can create enough heat to melt and start a fire.Been there done that! thats why I should have mentioned it in my partial unwound method of hanging unused cord;it is loose wound and able to cool while draped on hooks...safe bussing is the best
Bob@Judy  98 XLE prevost with 3 slides --Home done---last one! SW INdiana

Offline Hobie

« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2010, 07:04:33 AM »
Brian, be careful with the reels and remember to you can not leave any cable on the reel when in use I did on another coach we had the reel was made by Duro  www.durohosereels.com/rec_vehicle it cost me a new cable and reel and almost a coach by not reading the manual you know the male thing LOL  

good luck

Why can't you leave some cable on the reel?  Does this apply to only to 50 amp?   I have a manual reel for 30 amp by Safe-T-Reel and I don't recall this warning.  Especially as I pull off only what I need.   Thanks for your experience.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal