Author Topic: On the road again  (Read 8358 times)

Offline wal1809

On the road again
« on: April 23, 2010, 10:55:20 PM »
Just pulled into Freer, Texas and I am ready for bed.  I just love turning the key off, walking 40 feet and going go bed.  We are at the rattlesnake roundup to buy 20 rattlesnakes for the upcoming training season.  Short trip as we will be home tomorrow night but fun to run the Eagle no doubt.
1984 Silver Eagle Model 10 6V92 Allison auto tranny
www.snakebreaker.com

cody

Re: On the road again
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2010, 11:02:53 PM »
Is it possible to buy only older rattlesnakes with dentures you can remove and hide?

Offline Dreamscape

• Dreamscape
  • Global Moderator
  • 1968 Silver Eagle Model 01 8V92T Allison 740 #7443
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2010, 04:10:06 AM »
Glad you got her out to stretch her legs!

They just held the Rattlesnake Roundup over in Sweetwater TX I believe. I'm glad it's you and not me, I hate the buggers! ;D

Our coach was originally owned by the Dixie Echoes.

Offline wal1809

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2010, 05:08:23 AM »
Is it possible to buy only older rattlesnakes with dentures you can remove and hide?

I wish they had removable dentures.  I clip the fangs prior to training the dogs but in two weeks they have grown back again ready to go.

Hey dreamscape!!  I have never been to a round up.  I always buy the from a guy in Odessa or Flatonia, Texas.  Neither Odessa or Flatonia snake dudes had snakes.  This is the last round up I can get to so hopefully it will pay off.  I do have sone kids in Bay City, Texas that go to the beach and catch rattlers but they are nit consistant.

I used to hate the buggers myself.  Over the years I have changed and have had 180 degree mind change.  After 22 years of policing,  the only thing I have ever seen kill humans were other humans.  I have never seen a snake kill anyone.  We without a doubt are the most dangerous animal on the planet.  Once I got the fear out of holding a rattler, I was able to see just how beautiful a rattlesnake really is.

Anyhow hey bus ran good unilateral we got into the mini hills south of Beeville, Texas.  It was difficult to operate the fuel pedal without over throttling.  If I was not careful to lock my foot in one position on the pedal, the temp gauge would rise to 190.  If I locked the pedal by wedging my flip flop between the pedal and the side wall, then the temp would go right back to 180 and hold.  Tricky thing to do sometimes.
www.snakebreaker.com

Offline wal1809

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2010, 06:25:51 PM »
We are home!!  Actually feels good to be home.  The bus performed well.  I paid close attention to locking the pedal into position and the heat range never went over 185 even with the ambient temps at 85 degrees.  I would assume the hills going home were the same coming or going.

Do y'all still get nervous driving your buses.  I know I am new but I tell you I get nervous.  I consider me as one who has been to the cave and seen the critter inside and I ain't scare of him.  But driving the bus I can't hardly relax.  If I get on a long straight I am better but then I worry about the tires, or tranny or engine or whatever else can go wrong on a bus.

Is it just me or do y'all get that too?
www.snakebreaker.com

Offline Hi yo silver

« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2010, 07:02:04 PM »
Yep, usually when I wake up in the middle of the night, wondering; "what have I done?". LOL! :0  But, the more often I drive my bus, the more comfortable I become with it.
Blue Ridge Mountains of VA   Hi Yo Silver! MC9 Gone, not forgotten

Offline ArtGill

« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2010, 07:15:12 PM »
Wait until you are flying a single engine plane at night.  You mind will make up noises.  Time will improve your comfort, but don't get too comfortable.

Art
Art & Cheryll Gill
Morehead City, NC
1989 Eagle Model 20 NJT, 6v92ta

Offline Just Dallas

• Bus Conversion Stuff on a Budget
    • BCS
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2010, 07:28:00 PM »
Removed
I'm just an old chunk of coal... but I'm gonna be a diamond someday.

Offline Chopper Scott

• MCI 7
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2010, 07:28:11 PM »
I'd be a whole lot more nervous wondering where you put those snakes!!!!!! But I think we all get nervous. The best cure is a long drive!!
Seven Heaven.... I pray a lot every time I head down the road!!
Bad decisions make good stories.

Offline wal1809

« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2010, 08:03:58 PM »
Oh yeah now I feel a lot better Dallas!!!  I do beleive I need to give the bus's long haul ability more credit than doubt.  I do have 6 years to do a lot of what I want to do to it before we strike out for the 4 and 5 month trips.  What am I talkin about, by then we won't need tires because fuel will be so high we won't be able to take the dern things to the grocery store.  I saw a .20 increase overnight here.

I swear if we keep talking dems this and repubs that they are going to keep us down.  I say outhouse both parties and let's get somebody that started flipping ha
burgers or digging ditches for a living to run the show. 

I do feel better after a long haul.  I just hear things when I am going down the road.  It usually turns out to be the surround sound television my wife has blaring while I am driving.  I make her turn all the white lights in the living room off and use the blue lights to cut down glare.  So what does she do you ask, she turns on the flashlight and accidentally shines it on the windshield so I can see.
Oh yeah !!!!!!  She puts me at ease just like Dallas did.
www.snakebreaker.com

Offline Dreamscape

• Dreamscape
  • Global Moderator
  • 1968 Silver Eagle Model 01 8V92T Allison 740 #7443
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2010, 08:09:03 PM »
Wayne, You never should feel comfortable, it's not right! ;D

Just turn up the stereo, watch the gages and head into the sunset! ::)

I get nervous everytime I take it out. But the feeling is better than not driving it at all!

Our coach was originally owned by the Dixie Echoes.

Offline JohnEd

« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2010, 11:51:41 AM »
WAL,

Your post was music to my ears.  I have two energetic and very curious Manchester Terriers.  Think a twenty three pound Doberman on speed.  I can't walk far or fast enuf to get them even the barest min of exercise so they are reliably trained to stay out of traffic and come when called and run off leash as rule.  Snakes are my concern as I don't seem to be able to see them....like at all.  And I have precious little doubt that the "kids" would want to sniff the long critters @$#.  A defanged striking rattle snake is such an obvious  (except to me)  and GOOD idea.  Where can I go to get mine trained to respect snakes?  You would think that this would e some sort of standard practice...like house training.

Thank you very very much,

John
"An uneducated vote is a treasonous act more damaging than any treachery of the battlefield.
The price of apathy towards public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." Plato
“We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light.”
—Pla

Offline Ed Hackenbruch

« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2010, 04:51:23 PM »
John, i read about a place in Tucson or Phoenix that will snake train your dogs......try Google?
Used to own a 1968 MCI 5A and a 1977 5C.

Offline JohnEd

« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2010, 10:15:57 PM »
Ed,

I can't believe there is so much info on the subject. I always feel a little pregnant and that I am the only one with "this" problem.  How naive of me and I do it way to many times..  I asked and got what I needed....thanks.

John ever amazed
"An uneducated vote is a treasonous act more damaging than any treachery of the battlefield.
The price of apathy towards public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." Plato
“We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light.”
—Pla

Offline wal1809

« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2010, 06:19:54 AM »
JohnEd where abouts are yall from?  I travel the state of Texas now.  That is one of the reasons I bought the bus.  Thi9s is how it used to be, HAve a pile of stuff at the sidewalk waiting for my wife to get home Friday at 6PM, unload her stuff and load the car including a 1/2 dozen rattlers which have to be air conditioned or they will die.  Drive 5 hours and get to a hotel at midnight, settled in and unloaded including the snakes again.  5AM wake up get going to the clinic to train dogs until about 3PM then drive 5 hours home.  That is not fun and it is dangerous.  I am not old by any means, when finishing a clinic my wife would have to drive home.  It is hard work, extremely hot and physically demanding.  With the bus I can park it at the clinic, walk 40 feet and go to bed.  Coffe in the morning and step out to train dogs.  I can get out of the heat for a break, take a nap before I drive home or better yet take a shower.  This will without a doubt be the best year since we bought the bus.

John if your anywhere near Texas just look at my website  www.snakebreaker.com.  I will be posting a schedule soon.  I have a standing date for the 1st Saturday in August every year in Weatherford, Texas.  I do the training for $40 per dog and it does not take long at all.  I also provide the vaccine.  With the vaccine and the training coupled together your pups are well covered.  The training to avoid a bite and the vaccine in case of a bite.
www.snakebreaker.com

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal