Author Topic: Torque Wrench & Torque Multiplier  (Read 6424 times)

Offline Gary '79 5C

Torque Wrench & Torque Multiplier
« on: May 01, 2010, 09:46:51 AM »
I have been meaning to get the mfr of my torque multiplier and ask them, but that will be Monday.

My question is can I use my torque wrench "thru" the multiplier ?? 
That is to say if my TM is 10:1 ratio and I set the torque wrench to 45 lbs, do I transmit the equavlent of 450 lbs ???

Also I am not looking for NASA standards, but in the ballpark range.

Thanks,

Gary
Experience is something you get Just after you needed it....
Ocean City, NJ

Offline luvrbus

Re: Torque Wrench & Torque Multiplier
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2010, 09:57:50 AM »
Gary, most if not all the torque multipliers are a 4 to 1 ratio for 1000 # 250# input pounds 450 # would be around 113 # input.
Sorry missed read your post a 10 to 1 would be 45# for 450 I have never saw a 10 to 1 sounds great would sure save the back

good luck
Life is short drink the good wine first

Offline JackConrad

• Orange Blossom Special II
  • 73' MC-8 8V71/HT740 Southwest Florida
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2010, 10:03:46 AM »
I would ckeck with the manufacturer. Most of the ones i have seen are 10-1 or 12-1.  you are correct, with a 10-1, youn would set your torque wrench at 45 to get 450 output.  Jack
Growing Older Is Mandatory, Growing Up Is Optional
Arcadia, Florida, When we are home
http://s682.photobucket.com/albums/vv186/OBS-JC/

Offline roadrunnertex

« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2010, 10:07:38 AM »
You are correct 45X10 = 450 ft pounds with the torque multiplier and your torque wrench ;D
I have a 10:1 torque multiplier and a 1/2" drive torque wrench not a click set but the beam pointer style and I go to 550 ft pounds when I torque the Budd wheels on my GMC Coach works for me.
jlv

Offline Gary '79 5C

« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2010, 10:08:00 AM »
Sorry, I do not know what the ratio, however it is marked. The TM was an advertised brand in BC mag years ago. I will find out exactly. I was just making the math easy in my example.
The 150 lb torque wrench I have is alot less costly and lighter than one which will yield 450 lbs of torque.. The TM will accept a 1/2 " drive.

Thanks guys.

Gary
Ocean City, NJ

Offline Gary '79 5C

« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2010, 10:15:04 AM »
I know, (so does my back) come to think of it my TM is NOT 10:1. I did have to extend the handle to get the leverage to bust the nut.
My torque wrench is a click type, not the beam type.
I have the stud piloted type wheels.
Ocean City, NJ

Offline roadrunnertex

« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2010, 10:19:04 AM »
luvrbus,10to1 are common around the Houston,TX area due to the oil refinery and chemical plants in the area.
I found mine in a hock shop years ago for $75.00 the hock shop owner thought it was a torque wrench and did not know it's value.
It sure is nice when it's need at tire changing time.
No tire service company and their 1" drive impact over torque any more.
jlv

Offline luvrbus

« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2010, 10:22:34 AM »
Ok guys I have question now with the input at 45 lbs to get 450 lbs can you hold the wrench in one hand and turn it all I have seen they block under it to do that 45 lbs should be no problem to hold, but 450 lbs do block under it.
I have a Proto 3/4 drive and it is 4 to 1 but I never used it the 1 inch IR impact gun is my cup of tee

good luck

Offline PP

• Will & Wife
    • Bookworm
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2010, 10:59:14 AM »
Luvrbus, I never thought I would be the one to enlighten you on a subject, it should be the other way around. But here goes, my 12-1 torque multiplier anchors over the stud next to it. I use a 1/2" drive click type torque wrench for doing the lugs and have never had a problem. I set it for 45lbs on the drives and it seems like you haven't even torqued them until you try removing them without the multiplier and you're hanging off the end of a 6foot cheater bar. Works great! I get a lot of looks in campgrounds when I break loose lugnuts for someone that isn't prepared (no tools or towing service) and I do it with a 1/2" drive wratchet wrench on the multiplier. Loads of fun, LOL HOpe this helps, Will

Offline PP

• Will & Wife
    • Bookworm
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2010, 11:01:23 AM »
I forgot to add that you need a lugnut snugged onto the stud next to the multiplier for it to fit over or you will damage threads very quickly. I am only making this assumption, never had it happen but seems like it would be easy to do, lol
Will

Offline luvrbus

« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2010, 11:55:50 AM »
Thanks Will it is just I have not seen anybody using those in 25 years and they all had some kind of stand to hold it, the ones I been around in plants and like my brothers offshore work where all hydraulic or air power my brother gave me the Proto I have now so I am guessing at one time he used the multipliers with torque wrenches ? can you hold the handle and achieve the 450 lbs but now you guys got me curious I may have to check this tool out. 

good luck

Offline bobofthenorth

• R.J.(Bob) Evans
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2010, 12:47:05 PM »
I couldn't say for sure Clifford but I think the resistive force on the torque wrench would be equal to the output force.  IOW, you would have to hold 450# in order to achieve 450#.  I just put a pipe on mine and let the pipe hit the ground. 
R.J.(Bob) Evans
Used to be 1981 Prevost 8-92, 10 spd
Currently busless (and not looking)

The last thing I would ever want to do is hurt you.
Its the last thing but its still on the list.

Offline luvrbus

« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2010, 12:55:35 PM »
Thanks Bob I tried it, not going to happen without someway to hold it LOL think I'll stay with the IR gun and Coachnet

good luck

Offline Gary '79 5C

« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2010, 01:38:40 PM »
Guys,

It is not all that difficult to set the TM on the lug nut & the adjacent nut and insert the 1/2 drive ratchet or TW. You can kinda steady it against the nut and that takes some of the weight. The annoying part is turning thru the multiplier to align the socket to the nut. You can turn the socket wrench, keeping no hands on the TM, as long as you maintain it against the object nut.

I do get Bob's point of the physics being zero sum, but the counter 450# is placed on the adjacent lug nut, in shear, I believe.

It sounds more difficult than it is, However about number nine or ten lug nut, it does get tiring....
I went thru this exercise to insure I can on the road, if the need arises. I still maintain Good Sam roadside. Since I keep a spare, 20T hyd jack & spare diesel on board, I might delete the service in the future. I know this was not done at 00:30, in driving rain, alongside the road in soft ground....
If I am able to score a reasonable priced TW in the 600# range, and I can pick it up, I will buy it.

Thanks,
Ocean City, NJ

Offline Ed Hackenbruch

« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2010, 07:26:04 PM »
 I have a 12:1 and bought a torque wrench from them at the same time.  It says that when torquing,1 use a 10:1 ratio for figuring what to set your wrench to.  Therefore if you want 450 lbs you set your wrench to 45 lbs, if you want 500 lbs set it to 50 lbs.  When getting the socket end to seat on the nut i just grab the socket that the ratchet fits into and twist it instead of using the ratchet itself. Much faster that way. When busting them loose i will use the 12:1 until i get a good 1/2 turn of the lug nut and then use my air wrench to spin them off the rest of the way.
Used to own a 1968 MCI 5A and a 1977 5C.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal