June 23, 2018, 03:13:41 PM

Author Topic: a/c thought  (Read 2252 times)

Offline 1960eagle

a/c thought
« on: May 08, 2010, 05:54:53 PM »
Was at homedepot yesterday and noticed the stand alone portable a/c units.and thought wonder if they could be used as basement air? any thoughts?  The mind keeps me in trouble!

Offline Eric

• Currently in Northeast Ohio
Re: a/c thought
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2010, 09:57:50 PM »
I kinda did exactly that! When we first had our steal tent it would get mighty hot. so i dissambled our(insert random chinese brand portable a/c here) for just this purpose. Being a Transit we are limited on space (and funds :) ) so i located the entire compressor & coil assembly under the bus and brought the output flush with the floor. Being only 11kbtu it doesn't do a lot but it would def cool the rearward portion of the bus A OK! Since then i've aquired some older coleman MachIII units that work that i will attempt the same procedure on!

Happy Trails
Eric

Also! If you have one with a remote i just added some wire and brought the IR sensor up the wall so we could control it from bed!

Offline robertglines1

• steam nut
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2010, 10:04:32 PM »
I use one in bedroom put it in closet and discharged cool air thru grate in door...ran discharge air (hot)thru vent in roof...portable room air with a 6 inch flex discharge hoe to outside..Bob   I have pictures on photobucket but haven't figured out how to get them here yet...working on it...
Bob@Judy  98 XLE prevost with 3 slides --Home done---last one! SW INdiana

Offline Chopper Scott

• MCI 7
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2010, 11:58:32 PM »
I built an enclosure for one that I bought and put it in my toter/trailer/toybox. Exited the air and condensation down through the floor. It works pretty good actually.
Seven Heaven.... I pray a lot every time I head down the road!!
Bad decisions make good stories.

Offline Hi yo silver

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2010, 01:58:13 AM »
My Custom Coach conversation has two central a/c units that look to me like window units.  They are mounted one above the other in the streetside center bay.  I don't like the interior space I lack due to ducts and blowers, but they work real well.
Dennis

Blue Ridge Mountains of VA   Hi Yo Silver! MC9 Gone, not forgotten