Author Topic: Awnings - how do you.........  (Read 18369 times)

Offline Chaz

• 4108, 8V71 w/auto .
    • Aesthetic Metal Studio
Awnings - how do you.........
« on: May 10, 2010, 07:41:05 AM »
Hey folks,
I just went with a fellow busnut friend (Steve5B) and picked up a used Carefree 20' awning. It was on a camper with flat sides. I want to put it on my 4108. Will I have any issues there? I have a welding and fab shop so if I need to modify anything, I think I can do it. But any suggestions on how to put it on is greatly appreciated. I just don't know if there are any "Rules of Thumb" in mounting one. This is my first experience.
My thinking was  as close to the top of the rain gutter as possible. I'm also under the understanding I need to anchor the arms/posts directly outside from where the floor meets the wall. I guess so the lags tie into the floor as well.
Steve gave me some real good pointers but any help on how and where is greatly appreciated as I don't have the manual.
Oh, and as would be expected, the vinyl is ugly and "shot". (figures, huh.) Any suggestions there?? I think it's about 6' - 8' wide. Is it possible to go longer? It just seems kinda short when it's up so high.  I held the tape measure up to the bus to get an idea of how it would work, but it's hard to tell since I have never had one.
  Thanx for all the help!
    Chaz
Pix of my bus here: http://s58.photobucket.com/albums/g279/Skulptor/Motor%20Coach/
What I create here:   www.amstudio.us

"Imagination is more important than knowledge". Albert Einstein

Offline Van

Re: Awnings - how do you.........
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2010, 08:42:33 AM »
Chaz, see if this link works, Eric Brown (Ericbsc) here on the board is a Carefree dealer, and did me right when I got mine, needed the legs and hardware, which he got to me the next day :) I mounted the awning rail 6" above the drip rail on our Eagle, your bus might be difernt. Eric's number is 864-599-zero two two 0
http://www.carefreeofcolorado.com/techdocs.asp?m=01000000
 here's ours, LR
B&B CoachWorks
Bus Shop Mafia.

Offline JackConrad

• Orange Blossom Special II
  • 73' MC-8 8V71/HT740 Southwest Florida
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2010, 08:49:31 AM »
If you can put the awning rail on your bus where the roof curve starts, you can use the straight arms, if the bottom of the arms can be attached to the side of the bus with no interference problems. Jack
Growing Older Is Mandatory, Growing Up Is Optional
Arcadia, Florida, When we are home
http://s682.photobucket.com/albums/vv186/OBS-JC/

Offline Chaz

• 4108, 8V71 w/auto .
    • Aesthetic Metal Studio
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2010, 09:35:19 AM »
Jack,
  I think I can make that happen... But I will have to mount the top on the curve. (The curve starts at the drip rail) The small amount of curve along with the drip rail makes me think I will have to do some "adjusting" to the arms/posts whatever they are called.

Van,
  Thanx a bunch for the pic and the link!!!!   After reading thru it......... it think I have a bit of a job ahead of me. Since it is not new, the springs are unwound and I don't have the "straps", parts manual, etc....... it could be a treat.  :o

I have to get an awning rail as we couldn't get the one off the camper. It was different than the one I seen on the link.

I hate to call and bother Eric but I may if I can't figure something out. I was hoping I could sort most of it out here on the board. But I may end up calling him anyway, if I can't find that rail locally. I'd hate to have it shipped if it comes in long lengths.

Thanx for all the help!!
   Chaz

Pix of my bus here: http://s58.photobucket.com/albums/g279/Skulptor/Motor%20Coach/

Offline JackConrad

• Orange Blossom Special II
  • 73' MC-8 8V71/HT740 Southwest Florida
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2010, 09:50:40 AM »
Chaz,
   Check Carefree's web site. I found all the installation instructions for our used ZipDee on ZipDee's site along with a complete parts list.  Awning rail should be available at any RV store.  Jack
Growing Older Is Mandatory, Growing Up Is Optional
Arcadia, Florida, When we are home
http://s682.photobucket.com/albums/vv186/OBS-JC/

Offline BG6

« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2010, 10:29:21 AM »
Jack,
  I think I can make that happen... But I will have to mount the top on the curve. (The curve starts at the drip rail) The small amount of curve along with the drip rail makes me think I will have to do some "adjusting" to the arms/posts whatever they are called.

No problem.  You can take off the "upper" arms, then put a bend in them.  They won't slide all the way down the "lower" arms, and you may have to doctor them a little, but this works just fine. 

Offline Stormcloud

• FMCA#407220
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2010, 10:38:48 AM »
Hi,Chaz.

My only suggestion is make sure you wear good leather gloves when you wind the springs....you probably dont need to ask why... ::)

Best of luck.

Mark
Mark Morgan  
1972 MCI-7 'Papabus'
8v71N MT654 Automatic
Brandon, Manitoba, Canada in summer
somewhere near Yuma, Arizona in winter(but not 2020)

Offline Van

« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2010, 10:58:02 AM »
Chaz, do you have the aluminum protective cover with the fabric attached? if you do you must use a certain type of rail. the rail needed will have the open channel facing up as opposed to 90 out on the standard rail, my scanner is ca-putt.so I will try to take a photo of the ones I used, not a big deal. I also bought the 20' awning rail at CW under 20 bucks. It might be necessary      to cut the upper portion of the arms, still no biggie. First get the rail mounted then plum a line down to the belt line which is where the bottom brackets will go. Now the fun part, slide the fabric, or the allumiguard into the rail. from the factory the springs are already wound , mine was used also and unsprung. I gave mine 7 whole turns, the side with the lock should be in the open position when winding to lock the tension the rear spring will need to be pinned though one of the two slots, this will get you started. If more tension is needed, pull the awning out all the way (once mounted) out, now you will need a 6 foot ladder and an assistant, disconnect the legs and manually roll up the awning by hand, this will add more spring tension, and reinstall the legs. good luck. V

B&B CoachWorks
Bus Shop Mafia.

Offline Chaz

• 4108, 8V71 w/auto .
    • Aesthetic Metal Studio
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2010, 11:03:49 AM »
Thanx Jack. I checked their site but didn't see anything. The link Van sent had some good stuff but didn't answer it all.

I was hoping so, BG6. I guess it will be more obvious when I get into it. I can even cut and TIG it back together if need be. I'm just not sure if "length's" (arm's, post's, canopy, etc.) make differences on some of the stuff like when mounting or when it is open, etc. I guess it's probably not rocket surgery.  ;) I guess basically, I just don't know what I just don't know.  ;)  And like I mentioned, I was curious if I can use a longer canopy.

You're a smart man, Mark. I tear my hands up on a regular basis so I REALLY DO know what you mean.  :o ;D  I just need to know the "rule of thumb" for how many twists the spring needs for how many feet I have of canopy.

Thanx again, guys,
   Chaz

Offline bobofthenorth

• R.J.(Bob) Evans
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2010, 11:11:54 AM »
Chaz my awning is a ZipDee so slightly different but similar principles.  I was terrified of the winding part, having heard too many stories about runaway springs.  After Clifford's excellent coaching I can say its no big deal.  He had a rule about how high in the air the wound spring needed to be able to hold the half-arm.  That rule would no doubt be specific to ZipDees but the main point is that, as long as you don't ever disconnect the arm from the spring shaft, you should have no problems.  With the arm for leverage you have great control of the spring.  Van says 7 turns so that is a starting point.  Try it and you'll know right away if it needs more.
R.J.(Bob) Evans
Used to be 1981 Prevost 8-92, 10 spd
Currently busless (and not looking)

The last thing I would ever want to do is hurt you.
Its the last thing but its still on the list.

Offline Chaz

• 4108, 8V71 w/auto .
    • Aesthetic Metal Studio
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2010, 11:17:46 AM »
Van, looks like we criss-crossed.  ;D I think I understand but I will have to get the awning installation going to know what some of the pieces you are talking about are. It should be self explanatory I would think.

Mine does not have that aluminum protective cover you mentioned. Sounds cool tho. I was kinda scheming a way to make something to attach to the bus, over the top of it, to protect it. But that aluminum protective cover sounds cool...... But pricey, I'll bet. I guess I should figure that out before I go and buy a rail.

Knowing 7 rounds of tension is a good starting point helps a bunch!!! The other stuff about legs and locks, etc. I'm going to just have to figure out when I get started. I also intend to "call in some markers" from friends to help!  ;D ;D ;D  I will probably be the one wearing the gloves tho.  ;)
  Thanx again!!!!!!
   Chaz

Offline Van

« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2010, 11:26:01 AM »
Chaz, here is a photo of the rails, being you do not have the alum cover use the one on the left (see picture) which is a standard awning rail
B&B CoachWorks
Bus Shop Mafia.

Offline Van

« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2010, 12:06:20 PM »
Chaz, was a pleasure talking to ya, here is what it looks like in the car port position.
B&B CoachWorks
Bus Shop Mafia.

Offline Van

« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2010, 01:24:41 PM »
Here's the link I should have posted earlier, start with the Eclipse and search for the awning and hard ware you have, installation instructions for all, this should help, the other link was for the door awning, sorry bout that :-\
http://www.carefreeofcolorado.com/techdocs.asp?m=01000000
B&B CoachWorks
Bus Shop Mafia.

Offline edvanland

« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2010, 04:38:34 PM »
Chaz:
As was said, use good leather gloves when working with the spring. They are mean, veary mean. Tried to tell a guy that at Lake Powell, he did not listen, when thye let loose, his awning was caught in the wind, his hands looked like they had been in a meat grinder, he was going into shock, I was able to get him out of that and calmed down. Then his wife took him to Page to the ER. He was one sore puppy. He told me the next day, damn why didn't I listen. He also stated next time he would hire some one to do it.
ED
MCI 7
2007 Harley Trike
In beautiful Cornville, AZ
Ed Van
MCI 7
Cornville, AZ

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal