Author Topic: Awnings - how do you.........  (Read 18376 times)

Offline Christyhicks

• 1991 Beaver Prevost LeMirage XL
Re: Awnings - how do you.........
« Reply #45 on: June 03, 2010, 06:52:00 AM »
So, not to rob your thread here, Chaz, but if anyone has ZipDee. . .our Prevost has those and we finally got the courage to pull the large one out.  It seems a bit ratchety. . .  doesn't roll in by itself. . . you have to rotate the tube by hand until it's pretty much up against the bus. . . and the 2nd time we rolled it back. . it sure seemed like it was hanging during a section of the process. . .  what kind of a mess are we going to get into to see what's going on?  We did rewind a spring many years ago on what was likely a Carefree. . . and it was really simple, but I'm thinking this is all enclosed. . . any advice. . . is it something that could be just because it hasn't been used????. .  sound like it just needs tighting winding???  I feels fine when you pull it out. . just flip the locks and tug and it unrolls fine. . not super easy like it has no spring inside. . . . you pull firmly to get it to come down. . . and when you spin it by hand to roll it up. . . it does seem like it maybe tries a little to help you. . .  because I can rotate it from one end and the entire awning rolls. . .  any advice is appreciated!

I supposed that when we need new fabric, there's not much chance of getting a logo put back on it like it has now either. . . ???   Christy
If chased by a bear, you don't need to run faster than the bear, just faster than your companion!

Offline luvrbus

« Reply #46 on: June 03, 2010, 07:08:05 AM »
Christy, Zip Dee is the easiest awning to work on by far check and make sure the tube is not bent first then adjust the tension at the back the tube are easy to straighten and you may need a new ratchet on the front end.to adjust the tension remove the lower arm at the back and pull the rod from the tube turn it till the arm stays about 2 0'clock high your good to go if any problems have Larry call me at home I'll pm my number .
BTW Paul has a Beaver on his awning maybe a xchange lol tell me what color and roll out width and I can pick you one up in OR this summer I know a guy that has the sunbrella fabric for Beavers with the emblem.
Or you can call ZipDee with the code from the cover and they will send you one with the emblem,use the ZipDee web site it tells everything about the awning and how repair and adjust if unclear talk to Richard there

good luck
Life is short drink the good wine first

Offline Chaz

• 4108, 8V71 w/auto .
    • Aesthetic Metal Studio
« Reply #47 on: June 03, 2010, 08:09:34 AM »
Christy,
  Well, I guess for all intents and purposes I was done with this thread as I got a LOT of great info from fellow bus nuts. And my sincerest appreciation to all those who helped me. And as far as you commenting on it, I think that is fine. But if you are going to add questions and possibly take it away from the original topic........ ya might want to rethink that.

Again, I was pretty much done with it as I think I have my dilemma solved, but if I was still working on figuring it out, I have to say I wouldn't really appreciate it. I may be off base here in my thinking, but a separate thread is usually the best bet. But I'm not really concerned about which way this thread goes from here........... just sayin.

Hope you get yours figured out and maybe this is a good thread for that now. As you well know, something as simple as they are - or should be - can be frustrating a lot of times. And this is the BEST place to get a plethora of valuable info from people who "been there, done that". It really helps further our love and maintenance/creativity of these big beauties.
  Chaz
   p.s. speaking of which, I just noticed we have 700 pages of topics. MAN!! How cool! Thanx folks!
Pix of my bus here: http://s58.photobucket.com/albums/g279/Skulptor/Motor%20Coach/
What I create here:   www.amstudio.us

"Imagination is more important than knowledge". Albert Einstein

Offline Christyhicks

« Reply #48 on: June 03, 2010, 08:23:06 AM »
Good deal Cliff!  Here I was thinking that when we replaced the big one, we'd lose our Beaver emblem!  We're just trying to keep this coach as original as possible. . .  we plan on having it for a LONG time!  I'll take a closer look at the awning and definitely take a look at the hardware that is inside the roller tube. . maybe that's where our problem with the sticking lies.  Thx, Christy
If chased by a bear, you don't need to run faster than the bear, just faster than your companion!

Offline Barn Owl

• Roanoke, VA
  • PD4106-1063 "Wheezy Bus"
« Reply #49 on: June 04, 2010, 04:47:54 PM »
While camping I took a photo of the end of mine. Mine look like hex-head screws. I looked at a 2006 trailer and it's caps attached the same way.
L. Christley - W3EYE Amateur Extra
Blue Ridge Mountains, S.W. Virginia
It’s the education gained, and the ability to apply, and share, what we learn.
Have fun, be great, that way you have Great Fun!

Offline robertglines1

• steam nut
« Reply #50 on: June 04, 2010, 04:55:50 PM »
Had simular problem....soaked it with wd-40 in any hole I could get to..problem curred...saw a guy (pro) do it at a rv rally and charged the guy 140$ might be worth a try....Bob
Bob@Judy  98 XLE prevost with 3 slides --Home done---last one! SW INdiana

Offline bobofthenorth

• R.J.(Bob) Evans
« Reply #51 on: June 04, 2010, 05:28:27 PM »
Christy ours was behaving exactly as you describe last summer.  I started out spraying every type of weasel piss I could find in both ends but eventually changed the idler (non-spring) end.  The little teeth around the outside of the gear inside were broken up and several of them were jamming it when it tried to turn.  Like Clifford said, its not that hard to do but I did have the master to train me.  My son & I changed the idler in a campground last summer - a drill and a couple of rivets is all you really need to do it.
R.J.(Bob) Evans
Used to be 1981 Prevost 8-92, 10 spd
Currently busless (and not looking)

The last thing I would ever want to do is hurt you.
Its the last thing but its still on the list.

Offline Christyhicks

« Reply #52 on: June 04, 2010, 08:42:06 PM »
Thanks for the info. . . we'll attempt a repair AFTER we get home, ha ha. . . as I don't want to have to "sail" all the way home!  Christy

Offline Chaz

• 4108, 8V71 w/auto .
    • Aesthetic Metal Studio
« Reply #53 on: June 05, 2010, 09:22:29 AM »
Thanx Barn Owl. That definitely leads me to believe I have to drill out the rivets as Dallas suggested. If I don't get rained on this weekend, I'm going to call in some markers and get some friends to help me. I'm really looking forward to having it on and working. I hope it works out.
  Thanx again........
     Chaz
Pix of my bus here: http://s58.photobucket.com/albums/g279/Skulptor/Motor%20Coach/

Offline Van

« Reply #54 on: June 05, 2010, 09:30:09 AM »
Chaz, I think you'll be fine, and you will dig how groovy the shade is.LOL! Glad I got ours up and completed, 110+ today here and not a cloud in site, oh boy! Good luck! ;)
B&B CoachWorks
Bus Shop Mafia.

Offline Chaz

• 4108, 8V71 w/auto .
    • Aesthetic Metal Studio
« Reply #55 on: June 05, 2010, 04:30:48 PM »
Got'er done.  :)
But I gotta tell ya, this is one finger pinchin S.O.B.!!!!!! :o :'(  I guess I need to play with it a bit more to get use to it. But I think it's going to take me and another guy to set it up. It isn't the easiest thing to do. I'm also seeing straps in my future for both ends. Pulling the arms over to start is a bit on the hard side. I believe straps attached to the top would be a big plus. Then extending the arms gave me a couple nice blood blisters.

I also think I need to get a little more creative and possibly put some sort of support in the middle for going down the road. It's 20' and it was on another camper for 30+ years with out an issue, but it seems like it could use the extra support. I might try to do some modifying to the center support arm and make that happen...........maybe.

Oh well, it's what I got. It looks good and hopefully I'll get the hang of it and get lots of use out of it. It will be handy for the Tom Petty Concert.  ;D
 Thanx again for all the help folks! It's greatly appreciated!!
  Chaz

Offline Barn Owl

• Roanoke, VA
  • PD4106-1063 "Wheezy Bus"
« Reply #56 on: June 05, 2010, 07:23:16 PM »
Chaz,

One man can set it up easily. It sounds like you don't have the pull strap on it, without it you would probably need two people. There is a flat strap that rolls up with the awning, as you pull it, it unwinds the awning. The inside end/tip is wrapped around a rod that rest in one of the slots on the roller. When extended you can slide the strap to one side or the other, then one or so wraps around the support arm, it is out of the way. I know a photo will help, give me some time (week or so) and I will get one posted. The end of my strap broke from many years of sun exposure and I replaced the bad section by sewing on a strap I cut from a tie down. When rolling back up just slide the strap to the middle and as the awning retracts it rolls the strap back up so you are ready for the next time.
L. Christley - W3EYE Amateur Extra
Blue Ridge Mountains, S.W. Virginia
It’s the education gained, and the ability to apply, and share, what we learn.
Have fun, be great, that way you have Great Fun!

Offline Chaz

• 4108, 8V71 w/auto .
    • Aesthetic Metal Studio
« Reply #57 on: June 06, 2010, 07:25:37 AM »
Dang.
Well I guess that's just typical for reinventing the mousetrap or doing something for the first time. I did not realize that a strap was needed - or maybe even two as it did not have one. I will have to get creative - yet again - cause I am not taking the ends off the arms, which lets the tension off the springs and then unrivet the caps to put a strap on. DANG!

I'm thinking more along the line of two straps, one on either end that are just attached to the top of the arms. Would that work?? As it stands, it takes two people - well muscled - to pull the canopy down by the arms. I can see where a center strap could be a lot better. BUT, my awning has to be lifted off wedges at the ends so it can be pulled down. Does yours work like that too?? This is where being a rookie and not knowing stuff sux.  :-[

Oh well........ I'll figure something out. Maybe pop riveting the strap in the middle....... I don't know. I need a break from it.

Thanx Barn Owl.
  Chaz

Offline robertglines1

• steam nut
« Reply #58 on: June 06, 2010, 11:53:18 AM »
There should be a slot in your tube full length of bottom..the strap slides in from one end...has a fat end that fits in the slot..the strap rolls up with the awning..Barnowl is right on...can buy replacement strap for around 10 bucks..use it to let awning up easy when retracting..a pole with a hook on the end will let you hook in the end of it to pull out or hold on it to retract.
Bob@Judy  98 XLE prevost with 3 slides --Home done---last one! SW INdiana

Offline Chaz

• 4108, 8V71 w/auto .
    • Aesthetic Metal Studio
« Reply #59 on: June 07, 2010, 08:34:18 AM »
Yup. I got three slots that run the length but I have to remove the cap to get the strap in. Not a good thing.
Like I said, I may have to get creative.  ::)
 Thanx
Chaz

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal