Author Topic: NEWBIE Bus Owner (soon), with the first question  (Read 7252 times)

Offline NewbeeMC9

• NewbeeMC9
  • 1981 MC9 8V71, HT 740
Re: NEWBIE Bus Owner (soon), with the first question
« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2010, 08:01:07 PM »

Welcome to the madness!!

Ditto the already converted,  Lotsa already converted deals.,  Mine was mostly converted but plenty usable.  Mine was a good deal before the prices started really dropping.

Get the Magazine!! lotsa deals there. and highlight of the month.

also the BNO board.

My bus was my first RV also.   Get a converted one,  Enjoy life with it, while you decide if and how you would like to reconvert or convert another bus.

plenty to do anyway to keep you busy. 

there has even been some deals on marathon converted buses.   

Find a good bus mechanic and have whatever you find checked out first.!!!!!

It's all fun and games til someone gets hurt. ;)

Offline josephgranzier

• 4106 fan
    • http://www.comtradesinc.com/
« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2010, 04:21:21 AM »
Now that s real good advice !
Having that unit checked out  - thats the best advice .He'll give the blessing or not. Tell you how much more the unit will cost . :o

Its tough sitting on the sidelines - no bus , no time   2 kids in college and one more there in 2 years............ :D

Offline Dreamscape

• Dreamscape
  • Global Moderator
  • 1968 Silver Eagle Model 01 8V92T Allison 740 #7443
« Reply #17 on: May 18, 2010, 08:27:02 AM »
Now that s real good advice !
Having that unit checked out  - thats the best advice .He'll give the blessing or not. Tell you how much more the unit will cost . :o

Its tough sitting on the sidelines - no bus , no time   2 kids in college and one more there in 2 years............ :D

The longer you wait the more fun you will miss out on! Besides, there may not be the funds available to you after the college expenses! ::)

Our coach was originally owned by the Dixie Echoes.

Offline BG6

« Reply #18 on: May 18, 2010, 10:46:22 AM »
If I were you with the current bus market down in the dumps, look for something already converted. Change if you want as you go. It will save you a bundle of bucks and lots of scraped knuckles.Two years is not enough time unless you work on it everyday and have deep pockets, very deep. A genset alone is around 5-6K. You can buy a completed coach for 45-50K, it's your choice. Add up the costs associated with all the conversion items and then double it.

I'm going to disagree with some of this.

It is possible to do a complete conversion, two guys working 8 hours a day, in TWO WEEKS . . .if (and only if) you are starting with a ready-to-go shell, you have gathered the parts, and you have planned everything (including marking where you will cut, run conduit, etc).

Gensets and most other parts can be found used at bargain prices.

So can shells.

The BIG advantage of an already-done conversion is that the big job is done with a pen and a checkbook, and that's even faster than the two weeks!

Offline NewbeeMC9

• NewbeeMC9
  • 1981 MC9 8V71, HT 740
« Reply #19 on: May 18, 2010, 08:21:45 PM »
......... is that the big job is done with a pen and a checkbook, and that's even faster than the two weeks!

Is it ever really done ???

Offline BucketList

« Reply #20 on: May 23, 2010, 10:03:37 PM »
 Thanks for all the responses! (I apologize for being quiet for some days now...Family situation...) Anyway, for one person's response... I have time... We are not "terminal"... just getting old!  LOL
We have looked into "finished" conversions (and I use that term loosely.) I would rather not spend loads of time and money undoing other people "messes" before starting my own. ::)
The more I read here, though, the more delusional I think I am... I had planned on starting with a passenger coach, and ending with a complete conversion in....say... two MONTHS? ***SIGH***
On a bright (?) note... I think we found the Eagle we want to start with. Reasonably priced, and has had most of the major drive components rebuilt, replaced or repaired in the past 10k miles.
As for design, I have a strong background in residential design, and have practical experience. I tend to look at a bus as a house....that moves. LOL My last project was a large kitchen, (16 x 12)from scratch. Three grand later, I will immodestly say it turned out WONDERFUL. ;D (I am a natural scrounger at heart, so I can find the deals I want...usually.)
Again thanks! My next question is coming up as another subject. I hope y'all don't tire of me too soon! :o
They were right! Size DOES matter!

Offline NewbeeMC9

• NewbeeMC9
  • 1981 MC9 8V71, HT 740
« Reply #21 on: May 24, 2010, 03:48:38 AM »

Make sure you have it checked out by a bus mechanic to assess  "present condition"  of the bus,  even if you have receipts on the rebuilds.   Anything could happened in those 10 k miles( flood, famine, etc.  ;) ) We have a couple people here that had to do extensive frame repair due to rust issues.

Most bus places will charge $200-$300 for a full inspection, well worth a non-bias, experienced opinion.  You will know more of what you are getting into.   

Good luck and keep us posted

Offline luvrbus

« Reply #22 on: May 24, 2010, 05:57:53 AM »
You will enjoy doing your own the way you like,Eagles are the easiest bus to convert and repair all though sometimes I wish I had a 24v house system but the 12v is easy to do and works.
The model 20 you were looking at is a good bus but if you could find a model 15 102 wide for the same bucks it would be for me anyway the best choice.
If you post the serial number of the bus Eagles owners have a good data base of who bought the bus and equipment,when it left the factory ( for the Texas built)
Eagle owners also have a web site if you need help of any type www.eaglesinternational.net

good luck
Life is short drink the good wine first

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal