Author Topic: WVO DD engine damage  (Read 3271 times)

Offline JohnEd

WVO DD engine damage
« on: May 18, 2010, 11:36:22 AM »
I bought that "color camera on a tiny hose" scope the other day.  Everybody, and I mean EVERYBODY has heard that you CANNOT RUN A DD ON WVO INDEFFINATELY.  You have heard that, right?  In spite of sooooo many people doing exactly that with their engine worth $10 grand and OMG they must be nuts.  Well. my thought was that "maybe it is a recipe for disaster but you should be able to see the disaster coming and not have to take it to its ugly conclusion.  ERGO, why not look at the cylinder innards of an engine running that nasty WVO and do an assessment?  I have seen film and pics of absolutely horrifically carboned engines, a Volvo the last, that were run on WVO.  All had been run on UNHEATED WVO for a failure that should have been anticipated by the most uninitiated.  I will take the scope to Rickreall this June and any that want to look at their cylinders can do so by opening the air box.  I should be able to take pics by then so you can share the condition of your D with the board.

Or any other orifice you might care to ponder. :P :-[ :-X :'( :-* ;D ;D ;D

John
"An uneducated vote is a treasonous act more damaging than any treachery of the battlefield.
The price of apathy towards public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." Plato
“We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light.”
—Pla

Offline NeoplanAN440

• 1995 MCI 102 D3 running WVO Neoplan AN440
Re: WVO DD engine damage
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2010, 11:49:42 AM »
i did check  my detroit for carbon by looking on the cylinders and pistons and ring via opening the air box covers,and found nothing so far!!!

i opened some mercedes engines with more then 50k on wvo and they were clean (compared to dino)

the last vw ,i had to replace a head gasket (i run it as gen and have no temp warning on it,as its only run as spare when i use my lathe or stick welder),because i ran it hot,was clean also.

my wife gets all the junk into her 300sd and gets even atf and hydraulic oil,and with 270k on the engine,im happy.

now maybe i will see the inside of my tired 5.9 cummins soon,as he is pushing the 500k mark.he also warns me with white smoke in the morning,but still pushing.i have about 100k on wvo with him.
so let see how he looks.

Offline ojgetaway32

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2010, 05:39:41 AM »
What is WVO?
Josh Miller, Attorney, hockey player, son, brother, friend and busnut...
1983 MCI MC9 8V71 and a 5 Speed
Wheeling, WV

Offline ojgetaway32

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2010, 05:41:42 AM »
Nevermind, I got it.  Waste Vegetable Oil.  I otta change my name to Homer Simpson.
Josh Miller, Attorney, hockey player, son, brother, friend and busnut...
1983 MCI MC9 8V71 and a 5 Speed
Wheeling, WV

Offline Le Mirage

• Le Mirage XL 1987
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2010, 06:15:16 AM »
What is WVO?
Thank you for the question and...the answer. I didn't know what was WVO...(sorry)
Gaëtan & Manon (french canadian)
Prevost, Le Mirage XL, 1987
Quebec, Canada

http://latchodromquebec.blogspot.com/2010/05/la-fin-du-voyage.html

Offline wal1809

« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2010, 06:46:31 AM »
WVO -waste veg oil
BioD or bio diesel
BD20 20% bio diesel
bd100 100%bio diesel
DD needs to be fixed- For it can be Detroit Diesel or Dinosaur diesel meaning derived from petroleum

I got a feeling we are going to be talking a lot about this in the future.  I hate it when people use the abbreviated versions and I feel left out.  Glad you asked so we can get it out there.  Sorry I did what I hate others to do.
1984 Silver Eagle Model 10 6V92 Allison auto tranny
www.snakebreaker.com

Offline JohnEd

« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2010, 12:38:22 PM »
WAL...and others,

At the very least you are only trying to com in an efficient manner.  Abbreviations(abrev) are a way to do that as long as all are party to the abrev or have access to the code.  I worked for the mil for many years and they have an abbreviation they call the "mnemonic".  By def a mnemonic is an abbreviation that is intended to be a memory jog as to the word it is abbreviating.  The military thrives on abbreviations as it has to send message(msg) traffic by the tons and any space saver is really required as opposed to "liked".  The tech fields and sciences are also in that fold.  We aren't trying to be smart or clever bunnies, we are just trained and acclimated.  Its like profanity and what many think of as ethnic slurs ie. Japanese becomes "Japs" the same as Charles becomes Chuck or Edward becomes Ed.  Now that isn't to be interpreted as "imbecile" is an acceptable abbreviation for John.

I once had the con for a review of $6.5 M worth of technical manuals(TM).  I poured over those books for more than a year and wrote tons of comments on things that needed changing to comply with Regs and "acceptable industry practice as stipulated".  After months and months of looking at four fold schematic diagrams I  paused and pondered a "signal name" abbreviation/mnemonic that kept coming up all over the place.   Things like "Msync" for master synchronization pulse" or "D trg" for delay trigger were used all thru the system  just like +12 or -5 for volts.  What caught my eye was a signal called "9assn" and the problem was it was in a bundle of POWER SUPPLY cabling.  Precious few "signals" in power supplies of that type.  Bothered me as these birds were so far WRONG on so much stuff they tried to pass of as "correct".  I thumbed thru the thousand schematics and could not find a single one that "did not" show that signal.  This was before digital (BD) and all that funny writing hadn't taken root in the gen public so it wasn't that I was so easily confused or inept.  After all, those guys had caused me to be investigated by a Senator and a couple Congressmen and I survived that and was given an accommodation, as a result, that served to make it easier to hold their feet to the fire. Backfire!  Street creds!  Having spent 3 years  in Germany helped me crack their in "house code" and illegal code.  9 stood for "nine", German for "no", and "assn" stood for "assignment" but it was cryptic and no sailor trying to repair that system at o dark thirty 1000 miles from land could be expected to divine their meaning if looking for a spare wire to fix a broken circuit.  Wasn't reasonable.  Every stink-en CAMERA READY schematic in that $6.5 million pile of slaughtered trees was going to have to be REDONE and the cost would wipe out their profit and cost them a schedule award....they were apoplectic and the room filled with legal beagles and I was alone.  While they wanted my head on a stick they had shot their silver bullet with Washington  and the attorneys advised them to work WITH, rather than AGAINST, the Govy that had them by the short hairs.  I compromised.....they could put a note in conspicuously large type face on EVERY PAGE that stated what 9assn meant and in return they would agree to correct the thousands of mistakes I had found through the year and stop arguing each crummy point.  Called GOOD FAITH.

So yes, Mary Jane, we abbreviate a lot and it is in the interest of efficiently communicating....not confusing you, that we do so.  Old habits, even such as 20 years of "profanity strictly enforced", are difficult to recover from. EVER.  But, then so is a moral compass.

Pre= Prevost.... which is a synonym for better than "absolutely necessary".  Bus talk....right?

Yo Mama= well, never mind.  Family stuff?  Not hardly!

John always making the connection
"An uneducated vote is a treasonous act more damaging than any treachery of the battlefield.
The price of apathy towards public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." Plato
“We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light.”
—Pla

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal