Author Topic: Honda Generator EV6010  (Read 30520 times)

Offline gus

Honda Generator EV6010
« on: August 11, 2006, 09:44:22 PM »
Does anyone own one of these or ever owned one? The data says it is made for RVs.

For around $3000 this 6KW gas gen seems to be a good buy. My only concern is that it is a 3600 rpm model so it could be noiser than a slower turning one.

This thing is four stroke small, light and liquid cooled. I always thought anything made by Honda has to be pretty good.

They also make a diesel version which I haven't looked into yet.
PD4107-152
PD4104-1274
Ash Flat, AR

Offline TomC

Re: Honda Generator EV6010
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2006, 11:24:58 PM »
Anything Honda makes is excellent.  This gen is 2 cylinder and will sound more like an A/C running than a gen.  Don't worry about the 3,600rpm part-you'll still get several thousand hours out of it.  Honda still makes this gen.  Good Luck, TomC
Tom & Donna Christman. 1985 Kenworth 40ft Super C with garage. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.

Offline FloridaCliff

• "The Mighty GMC"
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2006, 08:06:55 AM »
Gusc,

I have a ES6500, which is the portable frame mounted version of the 6010.

I bought mine used.

I modified it to fit on a slide out that I fabricated, which included vibration isolators.

It is in the former a/c compartment, just aft of the drivers front wheel on my 4905.

Toms description of "sounding like an a/c running is accurate".  I think you will be suprized at how quiet it is.

I have been pleased so far with its performance. 

If I was buying new I would look at the diesel, as carrying two fuels has its drawbacks.

Cliff
1975 GMC  P8M4905A-1160    North Central Florida

"There are basically two types of people. People who accomplish things, and people who claim to have accomplished things. The first group is less crowded."
Mark Twain

Offline Buffalo SpaceShip

« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2006, 08:33:06 AM »
If I was buying new I would look at the diesel, as carrying two fuels has its drawbacks.

As a propane conversion, I'd consider the Honda, but let's go over the issues you might have with a gasoline genset.

1) A decent size gas tank for the unit will take up bay space.

2) You're likely to fill up the bus at a large truckstop, then you'll have to wait in another line for pumps that weren't designed for "big rig" use to fill the gas tank.

3) Gasoline ins't as stable as diesel, and can varnish out when left in storage too long.

4) Gasoline will need a well-designed tank and delivery system to deal with the potentially explosive vaprors.

Those are the biggies that I can think of, offhand. If you have $3k to spend, you might look at a used Onan Diesel or a 3 cyl. Kubota-engined genset with a few thousand hours on it. I wasn't aware that Honda made a diesel varient, but if so, I'm certain it's a very high quality unit that should be considered (as long as it's a liquid-cooled, 1800rpm unit intended for RV use).

My $0.02,
Brian
Brian Brown
4108-216 w/ V730
Longmont, CO

Offline TomC

Re: 2nd fuel needed
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2006, 09:43:54 AM »
What Brian has said is true.  On my big rig, I had a 6.5 Onan industrial 2 cylinder air cooled with a PTO shaft coming out the back side that I ran my sleeper A/C compressor on. The older units with points and carbs were a pain since you had to retune the carb at altitude changes.  Also, clean the sparkers and change the points.  Now, most are electronically sparked and injected.  But- you still have to carry a different fuel.  I had more than one truck stop manager come running out to stop me from putting gasoline into what they thought was my Diesel tank.  Plus, I had to put a fan outside the exhaust to push the exhaust away from the sleeper to ensure I didn't get gased out if the wind changed at night (remember parking side by side in the truck stop).  My suggestion-use it as a propane, but that also becomes a propane in the butt since you have to run a large or multiple propane tanks and worry about filling those frequently (although Flying J has all fuels at the RV islands).  My suggestion-buy a high speed Diesel (3,600rpm) genset that won't cost anywhere near the big heavy duty 1,800rpm units, and they will last for probably more hours than you'll use it for.  Good Luck, TomC
Tom & Donna Christman. 1985 Kenworth 40ft Super C with garage. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.

Offline jjrbus

• MCI5C/N Ft Myers FL
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2006, 03:25:57 PM »
I have a Honda EV6010 Generator in my bus and am very happy with it, on the other hand I got by just fine on 2 Honda EUI2000i for a couple years. These guys are right, a diesel is the only way to go, if and its a big "IF". Are you going to have an all electric coach? Are you going to run your noisemaker (genset) to run your AC loads while underway? Are you goijg to do a lot of drycamping and want to use your carbuncles (airconditioners)   I use  propane "GasP" I know some day it will blow up and kill me, but I've lessened the chance of getting electrocuted.
  I use the bus alternator throught an inverter to run my AC loads while underway, I use propane for the cooktop and grill, the hot water maker is propane or electric. I seldom drycamp, but when I do I use the generator very little. I have a small house battery setup and can go a day (no AC) with that. Getting gas to the genny tank can take a few more minutes, but I do not use that much so no big deal.
 You need to examine the way you will use your bus and then make a decision. I'll bet there are people out there that do not even have a generator. As far as a 3600 RPM unit, go listen to one run befor you buy (take earplugs) and don't park near me!
 All the above is only my opinion, your milage may vary, it is in no way to be considered advice or electrical instruction or direction. Please consult an attorney befor proceeding and be sure to follow all applicable codes.   ::)  Jim

Remember, even at a Mensa convention someone is the dumbest person in the room!

http://photobucket.com/buspictures

Offline Buscamper

« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2006, 05:11:20 PM »
 I have had an EV6010 for about 3 years and have no complaints. Be sure to soundproof your compartment or it will be quite loud. I used : http://www.defender.com/product.jsp?path=-1|311|302333&id=95982  and brought the sound level down to about the level of the AC, not bad at all.

Edit. Couldnt get the link to work properly here with the complete address, add www. to the defender.com address above

Keith

http://photos.yahoo.com/starliner1967

Keith,
I fixed your link for you.

Dallas

Offline ceieio

• MCI 7 DD 8V71, HT740
  • 1973 MCI 7
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2006, 05:25:52 PM »
Gus, I have one in my bus and it is a little loud.  I have an exhaust pipe crack at present, so It may not be so bad.  I need to build an enclosure and soundproof yet and then I think it will be fine.

It starts and runs like a honda, which is good.  Do let the gas go bad like I did because it really hates that!

Craig - MC7 Oregon
Craig MC7 - Oregon USA

Offline gus

« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2006, 07:36:32 PM »
Thanks guys, that was a good response. I didn't know until two days ago that water cooler gas generators existed?

Well, there are three (One by private email) who say it is quiet and three who say it is loud. 

My 4104 already has an air cooled Onan gas generator which is very loud and shaky but it is not made for RVs. It is too small to run my two AC and other stuff. I don't have a really heavy load outside the AC and frig but the Onan overheats when the bus is stopped. I want one that I can run when stopped which will not drive me and the neighbors crazy.

As some of you know the 4104 originally had a Continental industrial gas engine powering the AC so the extra 24 gal tank is already there. This is a huge gas supply for a generator, I think the most I ever bought to fill it was 9 gal.

The issue of exhaust is there no matter what type of fuel is used.  So far I can see no good reason not to get this gen. I have a long, detachable, vertical exh pipe extension to use when stopped but so far have never needed it.

I try to avoid fueling at truck pumps. All I ever have there is problems and in quite a few places the auto diesel is cheaper-go figure. It is easy to fill with diesel and gas at the same time, I do it now.

I live in the boonies and use my bus gas tank for a gas supply for my many tractors and mowers. With 18 vehicles, most of them gas, I'm well aware of stale gas problems.

I can't think of a single advantage to a diesel over a water cooled gas, especially with the very large difference in price.

PD4107-152
PD4104-1274
Ash Flat, AR

belfert

« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2006, 05:29:47 AM »
24 gallons is not really that much for a gas generator.  I had a Onan 4000 watt generator in my travel trailer with a 30 gallon tank.  When we boondocked once for five days and it was 113F in the shade, we used up close to 45 gallons of gas and only ran the gen set about 72 hours.

Brian Elfert

Offline TomC

« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2006, 07:43:14 AM »
I'll second what Brian said.  I had the 6.5 Onan 2 cylinder air cooled on my truck.  While I had a 75gal tank, in summer with it banging away all night to be able to sleep, it would last 10 days.  Powering one A/C would make for an average of 3/4 gallon an hour.  Use two roof airs and you'll be at the 1 gallon an hour mark. So even only using the gen for the hottest time during the day, say 10 hours, that only gives you maybe 3 days use of gasoline when booning (my rule of thumb when I made my bus was to be able to sit for one week without moving to fill or dump anything).  That is one of the many benefits of Diesel.  Nearly half the fuel consumption, taping into a 130gal fuel tank, no spark plugs or carbuerator to worry about, gasoline now only has a tank life of about 30 days (because of the Ethenol in it), gasoline exhaust fumes are much more toxic than Diesel, gasoline has BIG explosion possibility (1 gallon of properly vaporized fuel could lift your bus off the ground), gasoline gen won't last but a few thousand hours-where a Diesel can go 10's of thousands.  In about a 1,000 hours I have on my 10kw gen, I have only changed oil and filters.  I know from experience you can't say that with a gasoline generator.  Simple-pay now or pay later.  I prefer to buy the best I can now so my travels are as easy and void of mechanical problems.  BUT-you'll do it your way.  Good Luck, TomC

Offline ceieio

• MCI 7 DD 8V71, HT740
  • 1973 MCI 7
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2006, 10:32:19 AM »
FYI - the EV6010 is rated at 0.84 gallons per hour at full load, so if you could used every drop in the tank you will have a little over 28 hours of full power runtime per 24 gallon tank.  Gas generators fuel usage varies considerably by load, so you can do better than this if you are running at lower than full load.  I don't have the 50% load fuel spec that most genny's are rated at, but I would guess it could be 25% up to as much as 50% better based upon specs for other gas genny's I have read.

I suspect that the gennys that have huge fuel improvements at 50% load are really overtaxed at full load and suck prodigious amounts of fuel there.  With the Honda, I would expect a less dramatic difference.

My tank is too small as I run the genny in hot weather when going down the road.  I only have 8-10 hours of fuel.  I intend to install a fuel tank for filling up the bikes when desert riding and hope to power the genny with same (or at least refill smaller genny tank when needed).

Craig - MC7 Oregon
Craig MC7 - Oregon USA

Offline gus

« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2006, 07:24:07 PM »
Thanks again to all.

We don't boondock, we travel mostly with about every third night in an RV park so long time use of the gen is not a requirement

I forgot to ask before, what is the difference between the EVD6010 and the EV6010? I thought the EVD was a diesel but turns out it is aalso gas and has the exact same specs as the EV??
PD4107-152
PD4104-1274
Ash Flat, AR

Offline jjrbus

• MCI5C/N Ft Myers FL
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2006, 05:35:07 PM »
If memory serves me right (it never does) the EV is prewired for 110 volt and the EVD is prewired for 240 volt.

Offline jjrbus

• MCI5C/N Ft Myers FL
« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2006, 06:01:37 PM »
 I hope you have went to the honda site and downloaded the installation manual?  They want a box built around this generator to direct the flow of air. This box could also be used as a sound box. I ran into a bit of a problem with the air outlets and had to redirect the radiator exhaust around a floor support. No big deal just some extra time and work.
 Also I purchased mine from Hinklin Power systems      hinklinpower.com      in Grimes Iowa. They are the National RV support co in the US.  The service dept went far beyond anything they had to, too help me out. Anytime I have called they have been super!!  Also they get Remanufactured units from time to time. I bought a reman for $1800. When I got it, it was like new. I know reman means it was BROKE  but what the hey its a Honda. I would feel so much better if I could say, hey its a Ford, or you cant beat a GM. But life is just not like that.
                                                                              Work?/Play safely Jim

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal