Author Topic: In need of an Eagle radiator  (Read 13055 times)

Offline Oilslick

In need of an Eagle radiator
« on: May 29, 2010, 07:37:32 AM »
Hello All,

I am new to the forum. I am really enjoying reading up on all the Eagle information here. Recently I purchased an '88 Model 20. It was one of the Air Force Band of Flight buses. On my way home with my "new" bus it threw a radiator fan blade. Thankfully it didn't take out the radiator when it came apart and I was able to remove the belt to the hydraulic pump for the fan and "limp" the bus another 180 miles into Nashville, TN. I appreciate the instruction that Mark at Eagle Nest in Nashville gave me on how to get the bus there without causing any damage to it. The kitchen trash can cut into, long ways, and used as a scoop over the radiator door was a life saver. I powered up hills and shifted into nuetral downhill and NEVER saw the temp go above 200F the whole 180 miles. When she would reach 200F then I would pull over and let her cool down for a while and go back at it again.

Anyway, I received a call this week that my radiator is rotten. The fins are so deteriorated that the shop is hesistant about removing it to do the fan repair. They are leary of it and afraid it will leak after they reinstall it. I saw the radiator and it IS
rotten! I need to find a "reasonably" priced radiator to install and get the bus back to South Carolina where I live. Do you guys have any helpful info concerning purchase of a radiator...preferably used?

Thanks,

Kevin
1987 MCI-9- Gone
1989 MCI 102-A2- Gone
1982 Eagle Model 10- Gone
1988 Eagle Model 20 GSA- Grazing
1981 Eagle Model 10 Entertainer- Getting a transplant

Offline luvrbus

Re: In need of an Eagle radiator
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2010, 08:12:11 AM »
Oilslick, you are going money ahead buying a new core from Altas Radiator the people that made the radiator I have tried after market radiators for Eagle and they don't last.
What type do have on the 20 is it a swingout or solid mount anyway the number is 361-882-5661 for Altas if you do buy from Altas it will be right for your Eagle 

good luck
Life is short drink the good wine first

Offline Songman

« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2010, 11:44:23 AM »
Kevin,

I am negotiating with a place down in Corpus Christi that used to make radiators for Silver Eagle when they were building model 10s back in the 80s. The guy told me that he has all the original Eagle radiator specs and can build them to suit. I hope to hear back from him next week on prices.
1992 Prevost XL-45
Nashville, TN

Offline Lin

• 1965 MC-5a
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2010, 02:40:21 PM »
There is a radiator for sale in Spare Parts.  Don't know if it will fit though.
You don't have to believe everything you think.

Offline Oilslick

« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2010, 03:11:46 PM »
My radiator is a solid mount. I wish it was a swingout. I bought an Eagle 20 that was at one time an Air Force bus. The shop that has my bus is afraid to remove the radiator. They fear that once they reinstall it that it will leak. It is NOT leaking now but they feel that the removal and reinstall will be too much for it. You can breathe on the fins and they just fall out. LOL!

I will check with both places that have been recommended. I appreciate the help. Thanks!

Kevin
1987 MCI-9- Gone
1989 MCI 102-A2- Gone

Offline luvrbus

« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2010, 03:27:56 PM »
Oilslick, call Gary at B&B in Vegas 702-873-4415 he has a Eagle coming in for a re-power and it will require a smaller radiator.
With the solid mount any model of Eagle 01,05,10 or 15 will work for you but if you are going to keep the bus Altas is the way too go if funds allow.
The M20 is a nice bus congratulations and a 1200 dollar radiator is nothing compared to 20 grand engine

good luck

Offline Oilslick

« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2010, 03:52:55 PM »
With the solid mount any model of Eagle 01,05,10 or 15 will work for you but if you are going to keep the bus Altas is the way too go if funds allow.

Seriously? I don't mean that rudely either. I keep getting what seems to be the "run around" when I talk to other folks. they tell me that it will take a lot of refabrication to allow it to fit in my bus. The local radiator shop say that they have to have the radiator out of the bus to get the right measurements. I dunno.  It is my understanding that the Model 20 is the same as the Model 15 other than it is only 96" wide versus the Model 15 at 102" wide. If I had the bus here with me then I would feel MUCH better about the whole scenario. I'm just used to doing my own work and hate to depend on someone else. Just my .02 cents!

Kevin
1987 MCI-9- Gone
1989 MCI 102-A2- Gone

Offline David Anderson

• just outside San Antonio TX
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2010, 06:20:10 PM »
I got some great help from Atlas when I was fighting the cooling issues with my Eagle 10 and I didn't even buy anything from them.  I'm pretty sure they made your radiator when Eagle was in Brownsville TX.  If you can afford the approx $1200 for a new one they can get it made for you.  Take some digital photos, call them, get their email address and send them the pics.  They will get you the right stuff.  They may be able to use your old tanks and just sell the core to you. 

David

Offline Oilslick

« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2010, 06:27:55 PM »
Thanks for all the help! Tuesday I am gonna make a trip to Nashville, TN (6hrs!) and get some pics and some measurements and give Atlas a call. The shop it is at is very reputable BUT they are also very busy and my Eagle is not a "hot" job for them. I don't say that complaining, it's just fact. I figure I will do what I can and MAYBE it will save me some cash.....maybe...hope so!

Kevin
1987 MCI-9- Gone
1989 MCI 102-A2- Gone

Offline luvrbus

« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2010, 06:45:52 PM »
Kevin,Eagle didn't have that many different radiators if yours is one that lays on the side with outlets coming from each end of the tank let me know Wayne had a fairly new one for sale If it stands up stright with outlets coming from the top and bottom I know of one of those either way they both used the same core just different tanks.To be of any help we need the size
You need go ask on the Eagles board those guys have about any part for a Eagle BTW you could also say a model 20 is a model 10 with 15 windshields lol .Call Atlas and they fax the place a drawing of the radiator they made for that GSA  20

good luck

Offline Oilslick

« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2010, 06:54:40 PM »
Eagles Board? How do I find that online? I am not new to buses but I am new to these boards and forums. Thanks!

Kevin
1987 MCI-9- Gone
1989 MCI 102-A2- Gone

Offline luvrbus

« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2010, 06:57:01 PM »
Kevin, www.eaglesinternational.net look close and you will the 20 you bought for sale there

good luck

Offline Van

« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2010, 07:23:00 PM »
Kevin, the Model 15 rad measures 46" across, I believe the model 10 is 42" across. Might give Craig @ Silver Eagle Mfg in Gallatin Tenn a call also , never know what he might have laying around, Sales:  615.346.9303. Good luck
B&B CoachWorks
Bus Shop Mafia.

Offline Van

« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2010, 07:24:45 PM »
oops! >:(
B&B CoachWorks
Bus Shop Mafia.

Offline Songman

« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2010, 07:30:38 PM »
I just looked at my notes and it is Atlas that I have been talking to. He did tell me that they built the radiators when they were being built in Texas. He said he already has all the specs for all of the Eagle radiators, including the swingout. He says if I can get the specs for radiators for other buses he will start building them and having them ready and I am going to sell them through my store.
1992 Prevost XL-45
Nashville, TN

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal