Author Topic: Washer/Dryer? Yes or No?  (Read 8391 times)

Offline TomC

Washer/Dryer? Yes or No?
« on: May 30, 2010, 08:15:51 AM »
I have Splendide non vented combo in my bus.  We don't seem to use it much, but are thinking once we start on longer trips, we might.  I'm still ishing whether or not to install one in my truck.  I would use the Splendide vented version.  I know that Sean and Louise do NOT have one, and just stop at a laundromat about every two weeks.  What's everyone elses opinion on having an on board washer/dryer?  If you do, do you have the combo unit (all in one) or separate washer and dryer?  Thanks, Good Luck, TomC
Tom & Donna Christman. 1985 Kenworth 40ft Super C with garage. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.

cody

Re: Washer/Dryer? Yes or No?
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2010, 08:39:02 AM »
We had the distinct pleasure of watching a drug deal being made at a laundromat in florida, watched gang members gathering at one in alabama, we decided that laundromats were probably not going to start spring up in the 'safer' areas of towns and the great majority of them at campgrounds left much to be desired, so I bought a washer/dryer non vented combo, it worked out very well for us but libby wanted a vented model so we went that way, both are splendide units and work great, the vented model seems to dry quicker but it has certainly made our lives easier and in my opinion, safer. Ours is mounted in the center bay of the bus instead of upstairs in a closet mainly because we have the height in the bay to accomodate the unit and it only takes up a 2ft square spot, libby will put a load in and as we go down the road it's washing and drying lol, we get to our campground and the clothes are clean and ready to be folded and put away.  It does raise some eyebrows  when I open the bay and the neighbors seem surprised that we can do laundry while going down the road,  at one campground it went into the spin cycle as I was talking to the park ranger and signing in, he heard it and asked what the ,,,,, that sound was, I told him it was the turbo on my jet engine cooling fan, he looked at me and said oh ok lol, (when it goes into spin it sounds like a jet taking off lol.) Life is fun lol.

Offline luvrbus

« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2010, 08:43:37 AM »
TomC all depends on who is doing the washing my wife will not use a laundromat period after watching some woman throw dirty diapers into the machines without cleaning the crap out of them.
I would go with a stackable set if you have room we have the all in one it does a good job washing but the drying parts sucks (vented) but she likes it she has it figured out on the drying time.
The all in one may work for you just do small loads at a time.  

good luck
Life is short drink the good wine first

Offline Frank @ TX

« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2010, 08:48:33 AM »
Hi Tom,
Yes we have a Splendide VENTED in the bus.
We wouldn't do with out it.  
When we're gone for a few months it seems to get use every other day while we're having breakfast.
If it were to break down today we would get another.
When we're on the road we run a load or two from the inverter.
When we arrive we have clean stuff and don't need to spend time at the laundromat.

Frank

Offline Ed Hackenbruch

« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2010, 09:13:35 AM »
We are in our 7th year of fulltiming in a 35ft. 5A.  The PO did not put one in when he converted it and the way it is set up we do not really have room to put one in.  The last few years we have been renting a lot in the Yuma area that has a casita with a washer in it. We are there for about 6 months or so. The rest of the time we spend up north where i work for part of the summer usually. We usually stay in a park with laundry facilities. Right now we are in a park with no facilities but there are 2 laundromats in town so it is not a big deal. Even if we had the room i don't think i would want one,.....just more stuff to eventually break down and have to hassle with. :)
Used to own a 1968 MCI 5A and a 1977 5C.

Offline Dreamscape

• Dreamscape
  • Global Moderator
  • 1968 Silver Eagle Model 01 8V92T Allison 740 #7443
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2010, 09:36:47 AM »
We have a Splendide non-vented. My wife uses it for her stuff, I just dump mine in our park washer and dryer. If/when ours breaks I want a stackable unit. I would not do without having one, it's a necessity in my opinion.

Our coach was originally owned by the Dixie Echoes.

Offline luvrbus

« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2010, 09:47:44 AM »
 Paul,you may be in for a long wait for that little washer to break I have been waiting for years so far it has cost a 2 dollar o-ring at the cleanout on the bottom LOL 

good luck
Life is short drink the good wine first

Offline Eric

• Currently in Northeast Ohio
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2010, 10:45:10 AM »
We have the small kenmore front loading stackers. but we also live pole to pole for 50 amp.....

Offline BG6

« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2010, 11:05:24 AM »
I have the LG nonvented combo.  I wish it were vented -- it's cheaper for me to use a laundromat than to run the genset long enough to wash and dry in the nonvented unit, so the only time I use it is when I'm on shore power.

Offline Lin

• 1965 MC-5a
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2010, 11:33:58 AM »
Laundromats can be a drag, so having one's own unit is nice.  We had a non-vented combo the last place we lived.  I would definitely not get one again unless there were no other option.  The vented combo could be okay.  We do not have one in the bus.  At this point, we have not used the bus for more than a week or so at a time, so laundry has not been an issue.  Since we tend to use campgrounds, gangland laundry has also not been a problem.  Further, I do not think we have the room for a unit.  All that stated, if you have the room and will be doing laundry on the road a lot, it would certainly make life more pleasant.  If unsure, you could allot a space with proper hookups and just use it as a closet and see how things go.

Another option for travelers is that many laundromats also have laundry service, so you can drop off, do your errands and then pick up.  Yes, it is more expensive than doing it yourself, but generally still pretty cheap.
You don't have to believe everything you think.

Offline rip

« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2010, 11:52:45 AM »
Tom,
       We have Bosch stackable 220v and my wife loves them.Been fulltiming for over  7 years and using a laundrymat is out of the question.
             Don

Offline bevans6

• 1980 MCI MC-5C
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2010, 12:18:00 PM »
If I was full-timing, or even staying out for two or three months at a time, I'd install a washer/dryer.  Maybe in the bays, that might be cool...  But for shorter trips we just take two or three weeks worth of clothes and wash for a few days when we get home...

Brian
1980 MCI MC-5C, 8V-71T from a M-110 self propelled howitzer
Allison MT-647
Tatamagouche, Nova Scotia

Offline bobofthenorth

• R.J.(Bob) Evans
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2010, 12:23:58 PM »
We don't have a washer or dryer Tom.  We're plumbed and wired for them but we wouldn't want to give up the space.  Right now the washer/dryer space is pantry and we really like to eat.  We just let the laundry pile up for 2 or 3 weeks and then park in front of a laundromat for about 3 hours.  Sometimes the camp laundry is sufficient but they can be dodgy and the old women in camp frown on anyone tying up too many machines at once. 
R.J.(Bob) Evans
Used to be 1981 Prevost 8-92, 10 spd
Currently busless (and not looking)

The last thing I would ever want to do is hurt you.
Its the last thing but its still on the list.

Offline robertglines1

• steam nut
« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2010, 01:34:59 PM »
been fighting concept for years but have been shown the light by Judy..will have both as part of the rear bath in the new coach (to us ) stacked on right side with toilet toward front,sink in center and shower and closet on opposite wall..so yes..Bob
Bob@Judy  98 XLE prevost with 3 slides --Home done---last one! SW INdiana

Offline skihor

« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2010, 01:45:19 PM »
I have an older Splendide. The deciding factors for me were the 12 Gal. of water it used per load, and, it won't hold much more than 2 pair of jeans.
 We'll go 2 weeks before needing to do laundry. We stay at a nice place, ($$$), with nice facilitys, pool, jacuzi, store, laundry etc... at least once in 2 weeks. You can only carry/hold just so much water, anyway, before going somewhere to dump/refill. So pick out a nice place to stay as needed.

Don & Sheila

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal