Author Topic: Washer/Dryer? Yes or No?  (Read 8441 times)

Offline Sam 4106

Re: Washer/Dryer? Yes or No?
« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2010, 02:16:16 PM »
Our MC8 had a Splendide vented combo unit when we got it. It appears that it has been used very little in the nearly 15 years the PO had the bus. We took it out. BOY! was that thing heavy. We made better use of that space. In the over 20 years we had our GM 4106 we did laundry at laundromats. We never experienced any problems anywhere and liked the convenience of getting laundry done every two weeks or so in about 2 1/2 hours instead of every other day for two hours.
Just our way, Sam MC8
1976 MCI-8TA with 8V92 DDEC II and Allison HT740

Offline ToppDog

« Reply #16 on: May 30, 2010, 08:17:40 PM »
I've heard the combo units take forever to complete a load of clothing & end up using a lot more energy than a common washer/dryer set would in your home.  I thought of the stackable's, but never really liked them.  I don't like to bend over to pick things up if at all possible, so I was thinking of using side by sides with overhead cabinets instead of a stackable with pantry next to it.

I was wondering how most folks install them though... Do most folks allow for enough hallway space for swapping appliances out?  Or, do they usually install them, build around them, & hope nothing goes wrong or breaks?

Offline luvrbus

« Reply #17 on: May 30, 2010, 08:28:02 PM »
Drying is the problem with the Splendide or any other all in one, a dumb idea from the Sweds thinking you can dry with moisture takes over a hour and they are still damp

good luck
Life is short drink the good wine first

Offline NewbeeMC9

• NewbeeMC9
  • 1981 MC9 8V71, HT 740
« Reply #18 on: May 31, 2010, 09:40:24 AM »

You could join a few of those "Panty of the Month" clubs and just have new bloomers arriving regularly :D ;D

or

You could save energy and the earth by using one of those new Green Energy Clothes dryers.  Going down the road you could have it use waste heat from the bus or possibly work out solar energy when parked.  You would be doing your part for the environment and maybe save a buck or two.

http://www.cooking.com/products/shprodde.asp?SKU=117266  (no reference or interest , just found on google)
It's all fun and games til someone gets hurt. ;)

Offline Ed Hackenbruch

« Reply #19 on: May 31, 2010, 12:18:26 PM »
We use a solar dryer when on the lot in Yuma.......its called a clothes line. ;D
Used to own a 1968 MCI 5A and a 1977 5C.

Offline Van

« Reply #20 on: May 31, 2010, 12:47:23 PM »
Gotta luv dat "Dry Heat' lol, and having a pressure washer is the coolest thing LOL! ;D
B&B CoachWorks
Bus Shop Mafia.

Offline Bill B /bus

« Reply #21 on: May 31, 2010, 06:34:05 PM »
YES !

First conversion was  PD4108 with a bunk opposite the bathroom. No way to fit in a washer/dryer.
Second conversion was an MCI 102A3. When we bought the bus DW said"Washer?"
I replied "Washer and dryer." We kid each other about how difficult and time consuming the chore of doing the laundry. ;D

Seriously on board laundry is great. e chose a Fridgedare full size set. Efficient for water usage. Propane for the dryer. That means no 220V AC to worry about. Use a 25 lb propane bottle about every three to four months including the gas stove usage.  We have used the units going down the road to give the waste tank a good flush with the soapy water.
Bill & Lynn
MCI102A3, Series 50 w/HT740

Offline rv_safetyman

• Jim Shepherd
    • Bus Project Details
« Reply #22 on: June 01, 2010, 01:04:13 PM »
This feature was a MUST for Pat.  Most laundromats are not fun and take up your time.  Often times they are quite hot and Pat does not do well with high temperatures due to her medication.  One of the issues we have to address is to make sure our company shirts are washed between shows.  Often times we are short of time, but with the washer and dryer, we can do the wash in the evening in combination with other activities that need to get done.

We have an apartment stack system.  The washer is a front load, so it is pretty water efficient.  We do not have propane on board, so we have to have 220V.  That is generally not an issue.  We do our wash when we have 50 AMP available, or run the generator.

Wiring a 10KW generator for 220V is a bit controversial (12KW and greater is no issue according to Dick Wright).  With the 10KW you have to be careful about balancing the loads on the two legs.  I have ammeters on both legs and have gotten pretty good about shedding loads if the balance gets off too much.  As it turns out, the generator head for our unit is a 12KW, so load sharing is not quite as big of an issue, but I am still pretty careful.

Jim Shepherd
Evergreen, CO
’85 Eagle 10/Series 60/Eaton AutoShift 10 speed transmission
Somewhere between a tin tent and a finished product
Bus Project details: http://beltguy.com/Bus_Project/busproject.htm
Blog:  http://rvsafetyman.blogspot.com/

Offline Christyhicks

• 1991 Beaver Prevost LeMirage XL
« Reply #23 on: June 02, 2010, 04:25:58 PM »
Well, in planning and starting the conversion on our MCI-9, I swore I had no use for a washer in it, and woul djust use the laundromat if I need laundry. . faster. .. . more space, yada yada yada.

Then we bought this bus, and it already had a Spendide in it, and during our first trip, when parked with hookups, I was amazed at how quickly I changed my tune, ha ha.  It sure was convenient to throw a load in and come back later to washed and dried clothes.  These days, even though I swear someone had invented permanent press clothes, I find I have to iron my blouses and Larry's shirts anyway, so I really have to admit that even though this darn Prevost has WAY smaller bays than that 4107, I haven't pulled out that washer to use the space for other stuff.  Guess that sums it up, Christy HIcks
If chased by a bear, you don't need to run faster than the bear, just faster than your companion!

Offline Singing Land Cruiser

• Michael & Christi Hargis
  • Found another Bus= '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71
    • michaelhargis.com
« Reply #24 on: June 02, 2010, 08:21:10 PM »
Well we are with Christy on this one, we built our bus without one but now we find that Bus Life would be better with one. I better start loking. M&C  ;D
Entertainers/BUSNUTS
http://singinglandcruiser.blogspot.com/
RV Park MGRS/ Sans End RV Park
Master Mason, Noble Shriner
'77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71

Offline TomC

« Reply #25 on: June 03, 2010, 08:57:39 AM »
Rather then ironing, try using a steamer.  I have one at home and am going to build one into the truck they work so well.  If you want really crisp look for formal wear, you'd still have to iron.  But for everyday wear, you can't beat the speed of a steamer.  Good Luck, TomC
Tom & Donna Christman. 1985 Kenworth 40ft Super C with garage. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.

cody

« Reply #26 on: June 03, 2010, 09:51:31 AM »
I'm even more wrinkly than my clothes so it really doesn't matter to me, I did find out tho that after a while the wrinkles on the clothes tend to match up with the wrinkles on me, kinda cool effect, ala naturale lol.

Offline Christyhicks

• 1991 Beaver Prevost LeMirage XL
« Reply #27 on: June 03, 2010, 10:20:39 AM »
So maybe, if I leave my clothes REALLY wrinkled. . . it'll make my OWN wrinkles less noticeable? ::)  :D Christy
If chased by a bear, you don't need to run faster than the bear, just faster than your companion!

cody

« Reply #28 on: June 03, 2010, 10:25:07 AM »
Thats the plan lol, works for me so far lol.  libby suggested that an extra 40 pounds would help fill in the wrinkles but I told her I can't wear clothes that heavy lol.

Offline ruthi

« Reply #29 on: June 03, 2010, 03:16:29 PM »
We put a full size, front loading set in the new bus. Didnt have them in the old bus. I hated using the laundermats, or truck stops. Do yall remember when they be  to be called washateria in the south? Some still are.
Mixed up Dina, ready for the road as of 12/25/2010
Home in middle Georgia, located somewhere in the
southeast most of the time.
FIRST RALLY ATTENDED: BUSSIN 2011!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal