Author Topic: Parts help please  (Read 2128 times)

Offline Red Rider

• God put me here to accomplish certain things--- I'm so far behind I'll never die.
Parts help please
« on: June 02, 2010, 05:52:40 PM »
I have a GM 4106 with a 8V71 that has developed an oil leak at the rear of the 220A generator. The "O" ring on the cover plate and the "o"rings on the DC output stud need replacing. Since I'm new to this arena I don't have a clue where I might be able to source these (and other) items. All information is appriciated.

Thanks
Mike AKA; Red Rider 4106-1885

Offline OneLapper

• www.markdavia.com
Re: Parts help please
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2010, 06:34:54 PM »
Red Rider,

Your best bet to take the leaking cover off and and remove the o-rings, head the locally owned hardware store and look for a suitable replacement.  The large o-ring can most likely be made at a large tractor dealership.  My John Deere dealership has a o-ring making kit that has dozens of different diameter stock that can be cut and "welded" (read: "glued") in any length.

HTH

Mark
OneLapper
1964 PD4106-2853
www.markdavia.com

Offline Red Rider

• God put me here to accomplish certain things--- I'm so far behind I'll never die.
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2010, 07:53:54 PM »
Thanks Lapper,
Sounds like you've been there and done that. I thought about doing as you suggested with the stud but I still have the cover "o" ring (gasket) to deal with. I thought about putting packing in the groove in the cover and filling it with a form-a-gasket but I have reservations since the generator is flooded with engine oil. I hate to have any fibers floating around in there.

Offline eddiepotts

« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2010, 08:18:02 PM »
I would not use a made o-ring. if home depot does not have it I would call Motion industrial. you have one in Salt lake. tell them the size and have them mail it to you. You may even try your auto part store. We have o-ring kits at work that we will not use. It it just not good practice. Pm me the size and I can probably send you one.

Offline JackConrad

• Orange Blossom Special II
  • 73' MC-8 8V71/HT740 Southwest Florida
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2010, 04:27:12 AM »
Call Luke at US Coach  888-COACH34   He is one of our best parts sources. Another option is to check with a local alternator/starter rebuilder.  Jack
Growing Older Is Mandatory, Growing Up Is Optional
Arcadia, Florida, When we are home
http://s682.photobucket.com/albums/vv186/OBS-JC/

Offline zubzub

• '53 4104. Roadworthy but rough around the edges.
    • pics of my bus etc....
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2010, 04:32:01 AM »
Bearing supply store is also a good source of o rings.  'round here if they don't have it they will in 4-24 hrs....but I live in an industrial port city  so I'm spoilt.

Offline Red Rider

« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2010, 04:59:59 PM »
This Board is fantastic. Thanks to all who provided input. I called Luke at US Coach and ALL the parts I needed where on the way.

A special thanks to Jack Conrad. I spend a lot of time reading much of the info found on these threads and I see Jacks name on so may efforts to share knowledge and experience with those of us who have not yet gained such a high level Bus education.

Offline James77MCI8

« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2010, 05:30:38 PM »
Hint; When the new one arrives check with the local bearing distributor, hydraulic cylinder repair shop etc and get a match just in case something happens when installing the new one. Been There Done That. Write down their p/n, size, etc and start a parts reference book
77 MCI 8
8V-71 4 spd

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal