Author Topic: Flying J will now charge $10 to dump your tanks  (Read 15432 times)

Offline NewbeeMC9

• NewbeeMC9
  • 1981 MC9 8V71, HT 740
Re: Flying J will now charge $10 to dump your tanks
« Reply #15 on: June 04, 2010, 04:53:03 AM »

Maybe it was just Nick since they sent him a personal email. :D
It's all fun and games til someone gets hurt. ;)

Offline JackConrad

• Orange Blossom Special II
  • 73' MC-8 8V71/HT740 Southwest Florida
« Reply #16 on: June 04, 2010, 05:12:25 AM »
    This thread will probably be a long one with everyone's opinion about the $10 dump fee. Just a friendly reminder, respect everyone's opinion, no personal attacks. 
    Although I prefer free, which is still available at some places such as many rest areas, I can see Flying J's viewpoint also. I do not know often someone makes a mess at the dump station, but a mess there is classified as a biohazard incident and can be costly to resolve. As was mentioned, many privately owned campgrounds charge more than this.  This is America, we can choose where we want to dump (legally) and if you want to boycott Flying J (or not) that is your right.  Jack 
Growing Older Is Mandatory, Growing Up Is Optional
Arcadia, Florida, When we are home
http://s682.photobucket.com/albums/vv186/OBS-JC/

Offline luvrbus

« Reply #17 on: June 04, 2010, 05:33:43 AM »
A 10 dollar dump fee is the least of worries to me that probably will be the cost of a gallon of fuel in the not so far future lol.
Sean these topic are going to be brought up over and over there would be no traffic if they were not but it does get old sometimes I agree with you on that then again I like to read the new opinions on the same topic.
I been following the MCI 8 headlights this topic has been around for years and the guys are still working on it with different ideas

good luck
Life is short drink the good wine first

Offline Van

« Reply #18 on: June 04, 2010, 06:23:46 AM »
The elks lodge here in Boulder City NV has a fee of 5.00 dollars for non members (We are not members, and not sure if the fee applies nationally ) , and being a resident they they were kind enough to let us dump for free the first time. Easy in and easy out, really nothing you can do when they have you by the Poop chute :(
B&B CoachWorks
Bus Shop Mafia.

Offline Christyhicks

• 1991 Beaver Prevost LeMirage XL
« Reply #19 on: June 04, 2010, 06:36:07 AM »
Actually, you can't lay this on Pilot, as they did not actually "buy" Flying J.  As part of Flying J's bankrupcy reorganization plans, a merger with Pilot would give them access to financing and cash to help them recover from some decisions that turned out to be disastrous considering what happened to the economy over the last couple of years.

Since the announcement of the merger agreement, Flying J has sold it's insurance business, it's pipeline AND it's refinery. . . which has altered it's own financial situation in a positive way.  Since the merger has been hung up waiting for governmental anti-trust approval. . .  well, it's possible that the deal may not even go through.  Flying J has secured some financing on it's own, and has been been making changes to their operations to make sure the company is and can be profitable.  It's likely that this dump fee is part of that decision making process.  For now, unless someone knows more than I've heard lately, it's still a "wait and see" situation.  Christy Hicks
If chased by a bear, you don't need to run faster than the bear, just faster than your companion!

Offline luvrbus

« Reply #20 on: June 04, 2010, 06:58:04 AM »
A British holding co owns Pilot and the same holding co has made loans to Flying J so it is wait a see.

good luck

cody

« Reply #21 on: June 04, 2010, 07:34:36 AM »
First we have to go back to the beginning, nick was the one notified by email, is it possible that Flying J knows something about nick that we don't know? Is it possible that he has a secret life involving burritos that we're unaware of but Flying J has witnessed first hand?  It could be that he is the only one they are charging and you will notice that they used the term "toxic waste", that would tend to lead us back to the burritos, methinks, he's hiding a secret superpower that we should fear.

Offline luvrbus

« Reply #22 on: June 04, 2010, 07:52:03 AM »
If you have a RV rewards card through FMCA and F/J has the email address you will be notified, I got it today

good luck

cody

« Reply #23 on: June 04, 2010, 08:02:32 AM »
Aha, so the network of superpowered people expands, the Burrito Connection is more wide spread than we had previously assumed.

Offline lostagain

« Reply #24 on: June 04, 2010, 08:37:05 AM »
I was quoted $20 in Victoria, BC recently at a private camp ground with the hockey team's bus while on a charter. I said no thanks, I'll take it home with me, and I did. I would've paid $5 or $10, but not $20.

JC
JC
Blackie AB
1977 MC5C, 6V92/HT740 (sold)
2007 Country Coach Magna, Cummins ISX

Offline WEC4104

« Reply #25 on: June 04, 2010, 09:02:37 AM »
Hey, nobody likes it when a company starts charging for a previously free service, but I have an easier time with this one than many other changes.  Don't get me started about airlines and their baggage fees, paying for a bottle of water, or now the talk of charging to use the toilet. When you are captive, and forced to accept their fees, THAT makes me angry.

At least with the Flying J dump stations you have an easy personal choice whether to use them or not. Most of us have decent sized tanks, and have other options available to us. If I pull into a Flying J, I'm probably buying fuel anyway, (not enjoying the fine dining or atmosphere).  If I haven't been able to find anywhere else to dump, I'll gladly part with $5 to do so.

As today's business evolves and everybody seems to be looking at their costs and taking one of three approaches:  1) Eliminate services ... Flying J could have just discontinued the dump stations, and that would not have pleased folks either.    2) Spread the costs by bundling it with other stuff ....  Flying J could have increased the costs of their other products/services to cover the dump stations.  I hate when my cable TV company keeps increasing the cost of my services because they added 10 obscure stations I'll never watch. But the new stations are added to a package plan that happens to include the 2 or 3 stations I watch regularly.   3) Use an "a la carte" approach with individual prices assigned to the services you use.  This gives the customer the greatest flexibility, and is why I think Flying J made the right choice.
If you're going to be dumb, you gotta be tough.

Offline Busted Knuckle

• 6 Setras, 2 MCIs, and 1 Dina. Just buses ;D
    • KY Lakeside Travel ... Just 4 the Fun of it!
« Reply #26 on: June 04, 2010, 09:06:57 AM »
Wow who'd thunk this would cause so much stink!?!

While I can't say I agree with it 100%, and we currently let anyone (even Cody) dump @ our dump station for free. We have seen (and shamelessly admit to paying) up to $50 for dumping at a legal dump site.)
While on a charter if somebody violates the "coffee only, no donuts rule" it can get ripe in a hurry and other passengers will not stand (or sit) and enjoy the smell quietly! ;)

But on the plus side when I paid Arrow Bus Lines in Kansas City $50.00 for "restroom servicing" (as they called it) they did provide H2O, chemical, disinfectant spray, paper towels, and had a "bi-lingual employee" (I hope he was more fluant in his other language than he was in English)  do 100% of the work. I was however allowed to watch!

But let me tell you if your buses still had "bus toilets" instead of RV toilets, and it was someone else's crap you were smelling (because we all know our own don't smell! ;)), this thread would be reading "Flying J is ONLY charging $10 to DUMP!" ;)
;D  BK  ;D
Busted Knuckle aka Bryce Gaston
KY Lakeside Travel's Busted Knuckle Garage
Huntingdon, TN 12 minutes N of I-40 @ exit 108
www.kylakesidetravel.net

;D Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! ;D (at least thats what momma always told me! ;D)

Offline luvrbus

« Reply #27 on: June 04, 2010, 09:15:20 AM »
Let you guys in on my secret here most F/J's and Loves have a sewer dump in the truck island out back for the trucks and the tour operators I use that one most of time because it is a open grate no need for sewers hoses dump wash the grate and drive into the sunset
almost bet they don't impose a fee there

good luck

Offline Utahclaimjumper

« Reply #28 on: June 04, 2010, 09:56:45 AM »
  So,,Hey guys,,,hows the "change" workin for ya.>>>Dan
Utclmjmpr  (rufcmpn)
 EX 4106 (presently SOB)
Cedar City, Ut.
 72 VW Baja towed

Offline Len Silva

• Angle Parked in a Parallel Universe
    • Leonard Studio
« Reply #29 on: June 04, 2010, 10:00:55 AM »
I don't have any change left.

Hand Made Gifts

Ignorance is only bliss to the ignorant.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal