Author Topic: Flying J will now charge $10 to dump your tanks  (Read 15427 times)

Offline Chaz

• 4108, 8V71 w/auto .
    • Aesthetic Metal Studio
Re: Flying J will now charge $10 to dump your tanks
« Reply #30 on: June 04, 2010, 10:16:33 AM »
OK, total virgin here when it comes to the kids getting swimming lessons on the bus. ANYONE'S kids. Reason being - I just don't do well with it. Nope, never had kids either.
BUT, I know my time is coming.  :'(   :P  And because I know I can't dodge the inevitable I bought a macerator pump thinking that might be the hot ticket. (I hope I didn't screw up again!  ::))

And, besides having issues with it, I thought it might also be the best way to dump so when I come home - I can stick the hose down a clean out from my shop toilet. I was also thinking it might have some advantages when there comes a time to dump out on the road. ?? ?? ?? Is there? Or am I in the same boat as you folks when it comes to that?

I can see both sides of this because if there comes a time I HAVE to dump, I'd be glad to pay $10.00, but obviously, I would rather not.

What a interesting topic............. once again.
    Chaz
Pix of my bus here: http://s58.photobucket.com/albums/g279/Skulptor/Motor%20Coach/
What I create here:   www.amstudio.us

"Imagination is more important than knowledge". Albert Einstein

Offline bobofthenorth

• R.J.(Bob) Evans
« Reply #31 on: June 04, 2010, 10:27:38 AM »
It is fascinating to me to see how different everyone's style of travel is.  In our case, after almost three years of full time travel and after RVing for over 25 years I can count on the fingers of one hand the times we have used dedicated sewer dump stations.  Typically we are in some type of a campground at least every other week so we just wait and dump when we arrive.  Very occasionally I used to pull out into a stubble field around home and just "let 'er fly" but I'm cautious about doing that where I'm not known (and don't know whose field I'm pulling into).  On occasion I have dumped into septic tanks when we visit friends who live out of town and very very rarely we have used dedicated dump stations.  I can actually only remember ever using 2 specific dump stations and both of those were at visitor centres for communities we were visiting but there may have been a couple others that I can't remember.

In our case big waste tanks let us go a long way between dumps and let us pick and choose when we need to dump.  Several of the Thousand Trails parks that we stay at have electric/water only hookups so it isn't unusual for us to be on a moderate water conservation program at any particular time.  If we're reasonably careful it isn't difficult to go a week without dumping.  When we get on a 50 amp post with good sewer and water (like right now) we can really enjoy the long showers and wash dishes after every meal.
R.J.(Bob) Evans
Used to be 1981 Prevost 8-92, 10 spd
Currently busless (and not looking)

The last thing I would ever want to do is hurt you.
Its the last thing but its still on the list.

Offline Just Dallas

• Bus Conversion Stuff on a Budget
    • BCS
« Reply #32 on: June 04, 2010, 10:30:20 AM »
Removed
I'm just an old chunk of coal... but I'm gonna be a diamond someday.

Offline Chopper Scott

• MCI 7
« Reply #33 on: June 04, 2010, 10:52:23 AM »
One thing to also consider is in many places that fuel stations are located they are somewhat remote and possibly not on a city sewer system. They have their own septic system which also needs pumping and disposal from time to time. Rest areas along the interstates are like that. I know someone who was trying to get the contract for pumping them out. A lot of city campgrounds in our area have free dump stations. Would it be worth the few bucks to find one or just cough up the bucks and dump while refueling.
Seven Heaven.... I pray a lot every time I head down the road!!
Bad decisions make good stories.

Offline blue_goose

« Reply #34 on: June 04, 2010, 11:39:14 AM »
Flying J has two types of cards.  I don't use there RV card, I use the Frequent Fueler card that gives points for most everything they sell other than fuel.
I did notice the last time they scaned my card that I had a credit for $5.00 for a dump this is something new.  I will find out how much fuel you need to buy to get the dump charge. 
If you use lots of fuel the Frequent Fueler is the best card because you get lots for free and we all like free.
Jack

Offline kyle4501

• NEWELL in South Carolina
« Reply #35 on: June 04, 2010, 01:12:20 PM »
Waste water treatment is a very important process & with more & more people with less & less open land it is getting more complicated as it has to be treated further than before. Lets not forget the effects of all the chemicals we add to the waste stream. . . .

Most homes are charged by the water they use because it is easier/ cheaper for the waste facility to keep score that way (& most of that water hits the drain anyway).

However, some municipalities will test a business' waste coming into the sewer to determine what kind of load they are putting on the waste treatment facility. The higher the concentration of stuff in the water, the higher the cost per gallon.

Most RV waste is highly concentrated & can overload a septic tank's ability to break it down - if raw sewage gets in the leach field it can cause problems.

While waste may be simple to generate, proper disposal isn't.
Life is all about finding people who are your kind of crazy

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please (Mark Twain)

Education costs money.  But then so does ignorance. (Sir Claus Moser)

Offline Len Silva

• Angle Parked in a Parallel Universe
    • Leonard Studio
« Reply #36 on: June 04, 2010, 01:24:04 PM »
Kyle,

I seems you really know your $h*t.

Hand Made Gifts

Ignorance is only bliss to the ignorant.

Offline kyle4501

• NEWELL in South Carolina
« Reply #37 on: June 04, 2010, 01:43:40 PM »
Kyle,

I seems you really know your $h*t.

I should, since I'm so full of it!  ::)

There's a reason why my eyes are brown  :o
Life is all about finding people who are your kind of crazy

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please (Mark Twain)

Education costs money.  But then so does ignorance. (Sir Claus Moser)

Offline Christyhicks

• 1991 Beaver Prevost LeMirage XL
« Reply #38 on: June 04, 2010, 03:11:27 PM »
So, as many of you know, this debate has been going on in various rv forums for several months. . .with quite a few people uptight with Flying J instituting a dump fee.  Many feel that dumping should stay free as a customer service.

Personally, I feel that we spend an awful lot on oil, fuel, generators, solar stuff, led lights, aluminum wheels, awnings, furniture, . . .well, the list goes on and on, and seldom to you hear people grousing about how little $$$ they've put into their coach.   

The debate continues, and I'm listening to the discussion back and forth, reading various comments to Larry from different forums, when, as he sometimes does, he made a simple statement that put it all into perspective.  He turned to me and asked, "Well, we created the S**T, why would it be anyone ELSE'S responsibility to get rid of it for us?"   :-\

Hmm, good point there. ;) :D

Christy Hicks
If chased by a bear, you don't need to run faster than the bear, just faster than your companion!

cody

« Reply #39 on: June 04, 2010, 03:24:34 PM »
I seem to remember that years ago there was a coach that used to incinerate the waste from the tanks using the exhaust system somehow, I'm sure the technology could be repeated using a modern version, the endless cycle of renovation is usually just old ideas revisited in some way, just a thought lol.

Offline luvrbus

« Reply #40 on: June 04, 2010, 03:31:17 PM »
The way I look at the F/J deal is for years the Call family has served the RVers probably at cost free water and a dump, no charge for your credit card use (same as cash) 5 cents a gallon off of propane , a place to park overnight and a place to fuel without all the fuel on the pavement like in the truck islands.
I know the Escapee group are upset the charge but let them go to Loves and pay the dump fee plus 5 cents a gallon more if using your credit card I will continue to by from F/J like I have for a long time

good luck
Life is short drink the good wine first

Offline wal1809

« Reply #41 on: June 04, 2010, 04:11:25 PM »
$10 ain't so bad.  They charged .25 a gallon to empty my 1000 gallon septic here at the house.  I intend on having the construction crew send a dedicated 4 inch line from the bus barn to the septic tank at the house.  In the new black water tank I am going to install I will weld in a lipid throught sidewalk at the top of the tank.  The pipe will have a series of holes drilled in like a sprinkler head.  On the outside the pipe will have a water hose quick connect.  So I should be able to plug the water in and turn it on.  Open the rookie shooter and walk away for a little while.  When done the tank should be clean of all the nasty and life just got simpler.  No more spending 30 minutes in line at the park to mess with dumping and backfilling ect.
1984 Silver Eagle Model 10 6V92 Allison auto tranny
www.snakebreaker.com

Offline Lin

• 1965 MC-5a
« Reply #42 on: June 04, 2010, 04:13:56 PM »
I think $5.00 is a reasonable fee.  Although $10. is high, since it is only $5. with fuel, it is not that bad.  My bus uses a bit of fuel anyway.
You don't have to believe everything you think.

cody

« Reply #43 on: June 04, 2010, 05:46:50 PM »
At the skanee house I was told I couldn't add a dump station to my septic tank but they had no problem with me adding a 4 inch cleanout where the bus is parked if I wanted too lol.  Same story when I wanted to build a privy, they said priveys were not allowed unless I added a cement vault under it but I could build a 16 sq ft guest house with a basement so thats what I did.

Offline Chopper Scott

• MCI 7
« Reply #44 on: June 04, 2010, 05:51:58 PM »
Just be aware wal1809 that running a lot of water through your septic system can and will saturate your leach field and then you'll have more issues to deal with.
Seven Heaven.... I pray a lot every time I head down the road!!
Bad decisions make good stories.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal