Author Topic: "Computers on the Road" June BCM Article  (Read 15983 times)

Offline rv_safetyman

• Jim Shepherd
    • Bus Project Details
"Computers on the Road" June BCM Article
« on: June 05, 2010, 04:14:16 AM »
OK folks, I wrote this article for BCM with a lot of fear and trepidation.  While I have been involved with using computers on the road since the early Kaypro days (remember CPM?), I am far from an expert.  The article reflects my thoughts and research.  However, it is my strong hope that folks will send me their CONSTRUCTIVE thoughts so that I can do a follow-up article. 

We tried the concept of a follow-up article on the Engine Conversion Series, but I got very little input.  I would guess that this subject will generate a great deal more discussion.

You can send your information to:  jim at rvsafetysystems dot com.
Jim Shepherd
Evergreen, CO
’85 Eagle 10/Series 60/Eaton AutoShift 10 speed transmission
Somewhere between a tin tent and a finished product
Bus Project details: http://beltguy.com/Bus_Project/busproject.htm
Blog:  http://rvsafetyman.blogspot.com/

Offline Sean

• Geek.
  • '85 Neoplan Spaceliner "Odyssey"
    • Our Odyssey
Re: "Computers on the Road" June BCM Article
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2010, 10:13:54 AM »
Jim,

Thanks for the referral in the article.  For everyone's convenience, here is a clickable link to my Netbook tutorial:
http://ourodyssey.blogspot.com/2009/09/moving-to-acer-aspire-one-netbook.html

I have not had a chance to read the entire article yet so I can't really give you feedback on all the parts.  It's a great subject and a timely article, though.

-Sean
Full-timing in a 1985 Neoplan Spaceliner since 2004.
Our blog: http://OurOdyssey.BlogSpot.com

Offline Just Dallas

• Bus Conversion Stuff on a Budget
    • BCS
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2010, 10:32:22 AM »
Removed
I'm just an old chunk of coal... but I'm gonna be a diamond someday.

Offline BG6

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2010, 10:39:44 AM »
OK folks, I wrote this article for BCM with a lot of fear and trepidation.  While I have been involved with using computers on the road since the early Kaypro days (remember CPM?),

Not only do I remember Kaypro, I remember the Kaypro Fight Song, and I was a Kaypro dealer when they went hooves-up.  When they were building computers, they were about the best out there.

For that matter, you could use the CP/M unit as a jack stand . . .

Offline BG6

« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2010, 10:46:12 AM »
I just refuse to believe in the myth that some types are better than others. And have empirical proof of my assertions.

Then you have never had a Toughbook.

One of the guys I work with has replaced his laptop four times in a year, carrying it in a Targus case.  I'm doing offroad (4x4) work, and live at the end of a mile-long goat track.  My Toughbook has been in the computer mount, RUNNING, nearly every mile I've driven in the last year (it's for real-time communications and DeLorme GPS).  I'm typing this on it, in the mount, as I sit in a parking lot waiting for someone.

Offline Just Dallas

• Bus Conversion Stuff on a Budget
    • BCS
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2010, 11:42:43 AM »
Removed
I'm just an old chunk of coal... but I'm gonna be a diamond someday.

Offline JohnEd

« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2010, 03:45:30 PM »
 Debian clone, with a 1.5Tb Raid +0, +1, a main Hdd of 500Mb, an NVidia of 512Mb and an AMD CPU running at 3.8Ghz.

You do and you will clean it up Mister!

In the same amount of time we had 5 different laptops that died... including the Toughbook.

"Ohhhhhhhh say it ain't so Joe.  Say it ain't so".  I bought a nice big Toshiba Satellite 18 incher JUST FOR THE BUS.   I love it.  I heard they all ahve more problems than a desk top but T has good marks in relation/comparison to other laps.  Actually they call the thing a desk top portable and given its weight I hope to never have to carry it further than into Borders.  I didn't think a desk top was up to the bus environment.

D, you are like HS in that you seem to be everywhere.  And you present in each arena fully armed.  Is there anything you aren't well versed in?  Full on suck up complement there.  I want t try to maneuver into a posit where your brain an be properly picked.  Is it possible that the Pres would support a sub forum on computers and systems for the bus Knut and would you moderate such?  Even with a "no" you would participate....right? 

I'll get busy,

John

"An uneducated vote is a treasonous act more damaging than any treachery of the battlefield.
The price of apathy towards public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." Plato
“We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light.”
—Pla

Offline Ed Hackenbruch

« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2010, 05:23:15 PM »
 We bought a Compaq Presario 2500 laptop when we started fulltiming 6 1/2 years ago.  We were told that laptops have a built in cooling flaw and that if we bought a cooling plate it would extend the life of the laptop. We were also told that laptops usually only last about 4+ years. We figure we will be replacing it in the near future.   ;D
Used to own a 1968 MCI 5A and a 1977 5C.

Offline rwc

• No longer will be Now AM
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2010, 04:37:01 AM »
My grandson inherited my Toshiba after 6 years of abuse by me and it still works great.

Offline Dreamscape

• Dreamscape
  • Global Moderator
  • 1968 Silver Eagle Model 01 8V92T Allison 740 #7443
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2010, 05:14:16 AM »
We both have Toshiba's, mine is a Tecra A10, Vista Business. Wife's is a Toshiba Satellite, Vista Home. So far they work pretty good. We also have a Dell desktop as a backup. For the desktop we use this http://www.hawkingtech.com/products/productlist.php?CatID=35&FamID=111&ProdID=371 to connect to local WiFi.

We are lucky to have great park WiFi but just in case we have a Verizon USB Novatel 760 air card like the one in Jim's article. When we both want Internet access if no WiFi available, we plug the air card into a Cradlepoint CTR 350 and both of us can be online. The antenna we use is this one

http://3gstore.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=138_145&products_id=1076

This vendor has great prices and shipping. I have no affiliation with this store, only a satisfied customer. ;)

http://3gstore.com/

For security we both have Microsoft Security Essentials installed, it does a great job of keeping our systems free from viruses, and it's free.

We're connected!

Paul

BTW Jim, great article!

Our coach was originally owned by the Dixie Echoes.

Offline Jerry32

« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2010, 05:25:56 AM »
I just use a Dell small desktop unit that works well for me and carry a laptop as backup thatr can run off the router too  Jerry
1988 MCI 102A3 8V92TA 740

Offline JackConrad

• Orange Blossom Special II
  • 73' MC-8 8V71/HT740 Southwest Florida
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2010, 05:39:28 AM »
a 700mhz AMD with 2Gb Ram, 500Mb Hdd, 128Mb NVidia video card, and Win 2K Pro.
Then I went back to my first choice, Linux and currently run a Debian clone, with a 1.5Tb Raid +0, +1, a main Hdd of 500Mb, an NVidia of 512Mb and an AMD CPU running at 3.8Ghz.

What did he say??? LOL
Growing Older Is Mandatory, Growing Up Is Optional
Arcadia, Florida, When we are home
http://s682.photobucket.com/albums/vv186/OBS-JC/

Offline Len Silva

• Angle Parked in a Parallel Universe
    • Leonard Studio
« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2010, 06:27:53 AM »
I think he said  Integer id pharetra eros. Praesent commodo ultricies elementum. Suspendisse ut nisl nec odio lobortis porttitor at et nibh. Aliquam erat volutpat. Etiam eros velit, tincidunt non vestibulum id, suscipit ut diam. Curabitur cursus commodo nisl, quis suscipit sapien tempor quis. Integer ultricies, nibh ut fringilla ultrices, tortor felis vehicula est, non ultricies lorem risus sed lectus.

Hand Made Gifts

Ignorance is only bliss to the ignorant.

Offline john9861

« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2010, 06:31:23 AM »
The vulgarity of it all! :o
John Mellis
Bowman, SC
1982 Eagle Model 10 6V92TA Auto
It's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years...

Offline Ed Hackenbruch

« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2010, 06:31:35 AM »
 I couldn't have said it better myself! ;D
Used to own a 1968 MCI 5A and a 1977 5C.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal