Author Topic: How Much Per Mile to Maintain a Bus  (Read 17537 times)

Offline belfert

Re: How Much Per Mile to Maintain a Bus
« Reply #15 on: July 05, 2010, 02:09:39 PM »
68 cents a mile seems cheap to me when fuel is included.  Fuel alone is at least 35 cents a mile these days and was up over 50 cents a mile in 2008.  My maintenance costs alone (excluding tires) are at least $1 a mile, but I'm only at like 4,000 miles a year since I bought the bus.  I have probably another 50,000 miles before another round of major expenses.

I wonder why they replace Series 60 engines at 450,000 miles?  They shouldn't need more than an inframe, if that, at that mileage.  My friend had a model year 2000 semi tractor with a Series 60.  He sold it in 2009 with 1.1 million miles.  He is not aware of the engine ever being opened.
Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN

Offline buswarrior

• the old one: '75 MC8 with an 8V71 HT740
« Reply #16 on: July 05, 2010, 08:13:31 PM »
I have always found it amusing comparing what bus folks and truck folks have to say about operating expenses.

Bottom line:

The money comes too easy to bus companies, but the bills are a kick in the pants.

Compare the capital outlay, compare the cost of an alternator, compare what might be acceptable idle times, compare the daily/weekly/annual mileage for the unit.

Good thread, busnuts need to think in some sort of terms as to a budget forecast for preventive maintenance, not just acquisition and additions.

happy coaching!
buswarrior
Frozen North, Greater Toronto Area
new project: 1995 MCI 102D3, Cat 3176b, Eaton Autoshift

Offline Melbo

• MC8 under construction
« Reply #17 on: July 05, 2010, 08:45:05 PM »
Several questions enter my mind here (yes I know there is LOTS of room in there) are we talking about "bus" maintenance or "motorhome" maintenance --- the conveyance would have a completely different set of costs than the living quarters of the bus --- genset operation and upkeep is not necessary to get you down the road unless you use it for AC and want to be comfortable (now is that REALLY necessary?) I have not personally broken out the cost of "the bus" from "the house" they really (to me) are all inclusive because I don't want to drive the bus somewhere and not be able to stay in it. If I need to rent a hotel room then I will drive the car or the truck or take a plane or train or commercial bus --- you get the point. So I am not sure that we as bus converters separate the cost of the bus going down the road from the cost of owning and operating the bus as a place to live. I have spent the money for the bus to be ready to live in at any time. I pay the insurance if it is parked or driven. I have to do the repairs to keep it ready to go even if it doesn't go very often. I have to change the oil once a year even if the bus has been parked the entire time. My cost to operate the bus is the cost of fuel. I try to avoid things happening on the road but if they do I consider that an upgrade in the condition of my bus.  Hard to plan for or make the other expenses part of the trip --- Fuel is my only REAL expense because I use my bus a very limited amount.  Do the other things cost money --- yes but they are not OPERATING expenses -- When I acquired my bus it was because it could not be PROFITABLY operated by a commercial company. The expenses I encounter are what made my bus CHEAP when I bought it.

This may be a different perspective but that is why we are here.

HTH

YMMV

Melbo
If it won't go FORCE it ---- if it breaks it needed to be replaced anyway
Albuquerque, NM   MC8 L10 Cummins ZF

Offline JohnEd

« Reply #18 on: July 05, 2010, 09:20:24 PM »
Sean,

Is this still good?  Didn't work for me.

http://www.busconversions.com/files/Per-Mile-Operating-Cost.xls

Thanks,

John
"An uneducated vote is a treasonous act more damaging than any treachery of the battlefield.
The price of apathy towards public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." Plato
“We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light.”
—Pla

Offline Sean

• Geek.
  • '85 Neoplan Spaceliner "Odyssey"
    • Our Odyssey
« Reply #19 on: July 05, 2010, 10:18:05 PM »
You're right, John, looks like it's dead.  Maybe they lost it in the board upgrade.

How 'bout it, moderators?  Can we get that link working again?

-Sean
http://OurOdyssey.BlogSpot.com
Full-timing in a 1985 Neoplan Spaceliner since 2004.
Our blog: http://OurOdyssey.BlogSpot.com

Offline Dreamscape

• Dreamscape
  • Global Moderator
  • 1968 Silver Eagle Model 01 8V92T Allison 740 #7443
« Reply #20 on: July 06, 2010, 07:45:15 AM »

Our coach was originally owned by the Dixie Echoes.

Offline Sean

• Geek.
  • '85 Neoplan Spaceliner "Odyssey"
    • Our Odyssey
« Reply #21 on: July 06, 2010, 09:59:36 AM »
Full-timing in a 1985 Neoplan Spaceliner since 2004.
Our blog: http://OurOdyssey.BlogSpot.com

Offline BG6

« Reply #22 on: July 06, 2010, 10:08:58 AM »
OK, OK, I can't help myself.

I wish I could run any vehicle on the road for less than 3/4¢ per mile.

Ever see that Disney short from WWII about using pogo sticks for transportation . . ?

Offline usbusin

• '60 PD4104-4355 (sold) and '01 Freightliner (sold)
« Reply #23 on: July 06, 2010, 11:30:14 AM »
Sean, thanks for the spreadsheet! 

In "massaging" the numbers to fit my situation I come up with $0.5005 per mile with diesel a $3.20/gallon.

Thanks again.
Gary D

USBUSIN was our 1960 PD4104 for 16 years (150,000 miles)
USTRUCKIN was our 2001 Freightliner Truck Conversion for 19 years (135,000 miles)
We are busless and truckless after 35 years of traveling

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal