Author Topic: How hard is it to do upholstery? Should it be flat or padded on dash?  (Read 13217 times)

Offline desi arnaz

Re: How hard is it to do upholstery? Should it be flat or padded on dash?
« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2010, 05:45:30 AM »
just go down to mexico for a "tuck and roll"
thomas f  Bethlehem n.h

Offline belfert

« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2010, 07:36:08 AM »
I understand being earth friendly and all that, but I'm not installing used tires to cover anything in my bus.  I would leave it uncovered before I did that.

If I really wanted to be earth friendly I wouldn't driving around in a vehicle that gets 8 MPG although I usually have 6 to 10 people on board.  My passenger miles per gallon are probably better than the three vehicles it would take to haul all the cargo and people otherwise.
Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN

Offline happycamperbrat

« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2010, 08:03:37 AM »
It was just a thought. I think it would be cool especially if a bus were designed around being on the road and had a 50's type theme to it with lots of red and white and maybe couches that looked like car rear ends or something with neon clocks and checkered floors lol. Im sure that you will come up with exactly what suits you!

Edit: I dont know for sure, but a guess as to why the glue comes loose would be because the vynal is soaking up the sun and getting hot enough underneath to melt the glue. Maybe another glue would be better?
The Little GTO is a 102" wide and 40' long 1983 GMC RTS II and my name is Teresa in case I forgot to sign my post

Offline steve wardwell

• 73 MCI 7 8/71T combo just happy to be here
« Reply #18 on: July 20, 2010, 10:13:13 AM »
 for heavy vinyl or rug type material one can use a can of rubber cement from the hardware store.apply to both surfaces using a brush or roller, let dry, and carefully place fabric as it will NOT be able to shifted. leave your fabric large and trim after This is the way we've done boat headliners using vinyl, foam/vinyl laminate, indoor/ outdoor carpet.  Closed up boats get extremely hot. and it holds really well We also used this method to finish out our  coach bays w/grey rug............s...... 
Sometimes the more I think about something the less I think about something.    As soon as I save a little money my bus finds out.                                      Why grab a plane when you can take the bus ?                         If I'm wrong 10% of the time how can the "Queen" be right 100%

Offline belfert

« Reply #19 on: July 20, 2010, 10:48:44 AM »
for heavy vinyl or rug type material one can use a can of rubber cement from the hardware store.apply to both surfaces using a brush

Are you sure you meant rubber cement and not contact cement?  I thought rubber cement is usually used for paper and such?
Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN

Offline steve wardwell

• 73 MCI 7 8/71T combo just happy to be here
« Reply #20 on: July 20, 2010, 11:06:09 AM »
rubber contact cement.........oh yeah, no smoking when applying this stuff , and open the windows unless your stuck in  the 1960's.....
Sometimes the more I think about something the less I think about something.    As soon as I save a little money my bus finds out.                                      Why grab a plane when you can take the bus ?                         If I'm wrong 10% of the time how can the "Queen" be right 100%

Offline Ericbsc

• 73 05
« Reply #21 on: July 20, 2010, 11:53:37 AM »
I had a lady stitch the fabric and pad. If the surface is perfect it will look OK without pad. The pad helps with the bumps. etc. I did my entire bus myself with no help. I have never done any upholstery before.

Offline Ericbsc

• 73 05
« Reply #22 on: July 20, 2010, 12:04:48 PM »
I forgot to add:  I used weldwood landau top and trim glue. This can only be purchased at an upholstery supply house. I sprayed it on with a $ 49.00 gun from Northern tool. I used 1/4" pad on the dash, and 1/2" overhead. The thicker material also helps absorb noise. Make sure you used the foam with fabric on one side. The vinyl goes to the cloth side. Spray the back of the foam and the surface. Not to thick, get a fill for it. To much and the foam will suck into it. This will show on the finished surface. I did the entire bus floor to floor, front to back. Including the dash you will need app. 40-60 yds of material on a 40' coach. I also used 10 gal. of glue. I purchased it 5 gal. at a time. RESPERATOR IS A MUST!!!!! This stuff makes rats go crazy according to the warnings!!! But being a bus nut to start with, it will be a short trip!! LOL Good luck!

Offline ccbmster

« Reply #23 on: July 20, 2010, 12:11:39 PM »

Holy Crap Ericbsc....you want to do mine too?????

That looks great!

Mike
86 MCI 102A3  Travel MI, IN, OH, VA, KY, GA, FL, and OK with most time spent in GA and FL 6V92 with Allison 740 Automatic

Offline Jeremy

• 1987 Bedford Plaxton
    • Magazine Exchange
« Reply #24 on: July 20, 2010, 12:29:38 PM »
Ericbsc: Really nice work. And on some complicated shapes, too. Kudos

Jeremy

A shameless plug for my business - visit www.magazineexchange.co.uk for back issue magazines - thousands of titles covering cars, motorbikes, aircraft, railways, boats, modelling etc. You'll find lots of interest, although not much covering American buses sadly.

Offline robertglines1

• steam nut
« Reply #25 on: July 20, 2010, 01:25:08 PM »
I've been following post and have seen some good coments.Our last three buses have extensive use of Uphlostry...makes a good wall covering and easy to form around odd shaped objects...contact cement -get the old kind nowt the new green can white stuff;we have found the enviromentaly friendly stuff doesn't take heat as well and takes to long to set. One trick is to leave you contact cement can with the lid off for awhile till it thickens up. works better on one sided application..have found that it will react with certain foams.(melt them).we use thin batting instead..not cotton..JoAnn fabrics  runs 50% off sales on ocassion ck on line.A thin luan sheet  in your curved area will lend its self to easy forming and take adhesive well.good luck Bob
Bob@Judy  98 XLE prevost with 3 slides --Home done---last one! SW INdiana

Offline ruthi

« Reply #26 on: July 20, 2010, 01:57:34 PM »
Now that our windshield is in, dont know what we are going to do to the dash. We thought the vinyl was going to work good, but, as I said, after being in the sun, it is turning loose. It really goes down by the windshield, will be hard to get to. Sure not gonna mess with the windshield again, for those who know what we went through, lol.
Mixed up Dina, ready for the road as of 12/25/2010
Home in middle Georgia, located somewhere in the
southeast most of the time.
FIRST RALLY ATTENDED: BUSSIN 2011!

Offline Ericbsc

• 73 05
« Reply #27 on: July 21, 2010, 10:46:09 AM »
If if is coming loose it must be the glue. I completely wrapped the windshield trim and dash. Nothing coming loose. A trick that the upholstery supply house told me about is a heat gun. You would be amazed at the shapes you can get it to conform to hot! When it cools it will maintain that shape.Main thing is don't overheat the vinyl or it turns into a puddle!! (Don't ask me how I know this LOL)!!!

Offline Jeremy

• 1987 Bedford Plaxton
    • Magazine Exchange
« Reply #28 on: July 21, 2010, 11:04:41 AM »
Steam is widely used by professional upholsterers as well - works on leather too. I suspect using steam might be 'safer' than direct heat - although I'm not sure if the moisture of steam will cause a problem if you're gluing the vinyl down. As a general rule I think it is best to avoid having to use glue wherever possible - ie. where there are hidden edges that can be stapled etc. There may be many places where gluing the vinyl to the surface is unavoidable though - if that's the case it might be worth choosing a light-coloured vinyl - I'd assume that black or dark-colours are are more likely to absorb heat and run the risk of the glue failing. But that's just a guess.

Jeremy
A shameless plug for my business - visit www.magazineexchange.co.uk for back issue magazines - thousands of titles covering cars, motorbikes, aircraft, railways, boats, modelling etc. You'll find lots of interest, although not much covering American buses sadly.

Offline belfert

« Reply #29 on: July 21, 2010, 04:32:15 PM »
rubber contact cement.........oh yeah, no smoking when applying this stuff , and open the windows unless your stuck in  the 1960's.....

I can't find any product called rubber contact cement.  Is it just rubber cememnt you are talking about?

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal