Author Topic: Rear Aluminum wheels  (Read 7521 times)

Offline Sean

• Geek.
  • '85 Neoplan Spaceliner "Odyssey"
    • Our Odyssey
Re: Rear Aluminum wheels
« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2010, 03:58:37 PM »
...if you going to run 12R22.5 I pretty sure you will need 9 inch wide wheels..

Not true.  Most 12R22.5 are approved on both 8.25" and 9" rims.  Most 11R22.5 are only approved on 8.25" rims and most 315/80R22.5 require the 9" wheels.  There are exceptions.  I personally have never seen a 12R22.5 that could not be mounted on either size rim; my coach came with them on 8.25" items but I later changed to 9" (when I changed to aluminum) so I could fit the 315 if I wanted to.

There's a difference between Hub piloted wheels and stud piloted wheels. The trucks use the hub piloted type but our buses use the stud piloted type.

Also not always true.  Many buses came with hub-pilot wheels, including late-model MCIs.  I believe there were years where MCI offered the customer a choice, so you could have an MCI with either stud or hub pilot wheels.  You actually have to check, rather than rely simply on year and model.

-Sean
http://OurOdyssey.BlogSpot.com
Full-timing in a 1985 Neoplan Spaceliner since 2004.
Our blog: http://OurOdyssey.BlogSpot.com

Offline luvrbus

« Reply #16 on: July 07, 2010, 04:25:33 PM »
? for the MCI people what wheels does the MCI use that have the 5 studded pilot and the 5 nuts that look like the hub pilot nuts that is a strange looking setup.
Sean Eagle also offered both types all the NJT were hub pilot.

good luck
Life is short drink the good wine first

Offline Wax-um

• 1982 MCI Conversion project
    • Wax-ums  Photobucket Page
« Reply #17 on: July 07, 2010, 06:55:50 PM »
Can you tell what kind of pilot my wheels are from this pic. If not Ill get a better shot. In the automobile world we refer to hub centric. Wow I have alot to learn HaHa

Offline robertglines1

• steam nut
« Reply #18 on: July 07, 2010, 07:17:55 PM »
unless I'm wrong you lug nut are tapered as are you wheels where the lug nuts attach=bud or stud piloted wheels
Bob@Judy  98 XLE prevost with 3 slides --Home done---last one! SW INdiana

Offline Songman

« Reply #19 on: July 07, 2010, 08:45:28 PM »
Those aluminum ovals sure would look good all around that MCI.

1992 Prevost XL-45
Nashville, TN

Offline Sean

• Geek.
  • '85 Neoplan Spaceliner "Odyssey"
    • Our Odyssey
« Reply #20 on: July 07, 2010, 09:18:28 PM »
Can you tell what kind of pilot my wheels are from this pic. ...

Impossible to tell from that photo, especially with those caps over the lug nuts.  Would need to see a close-up of the lug nuts with the caps off.

? for the MCI people what wheels does the MCI use that have the 5 studded pilot and the 5 nuts that look like the hub pilot nuts that is a strange looking setup.

Clifford, this was discussed on one of the boards a while back.  I don't remember the answer, neither could I find the thread with a quick search.  But I remember that there was a good explanation for it.  You might poke around in the archives.

Sean Eagle also offered both types all the NJT were hub pilot.

That does not surprise me.  Fleet operators want to stick with one type of wheel, whichever style it is, and coach builders had to offer the choice to keep some of these customers.  All the more reason not to make any assumptions about wheel type and actually go out and check.

FWIW, I have never seen Budd-type wheel in European sizes, nor have I ever seen one on any Neoplan, Van Hool, or Setra.

-Sean
http://OurOdyssey.BlogSpot.com
Full-timing in a 1985 Neoplan Spaceliner since 2004.
Our blog: http://OurOdyssey.BlogSpot.com

Offline luvrbus

« Reply #21 on: July 07, 2010, 09:29:46 PM »
Easy to tell by looking at the drivers axle if you have a square head with a nut against the wheel on it those stud pilot wheels, the square nut holds the inner wheel and the 1 1/2 inch nut is for the outer wheel and they are left and right handed and will have marking L or R

good luck
Life is short drink the good wine first

Offline BJ

« Reply #22 on: July 15, 2010, 02:48:53 PM »
I purchased mine from a truck salvage for $75.00@   4 were even polished they fit my mc8 with extended lug studs you can get from mci....you really need the longer one's....

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal