Author Topic: How Many Bus Conversions Have You Owned/Or Built?  (Read 9501 times)

Offline Jeremy

• 1987 Bedford Plaxton
    • Magazine Exchange
Re: How Many Bus Conversions Have You Owned/Or Built?
« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2010, 06:42:01 AM »
In my opinion life is far too short to repeat yourself, especially when there are so many other 'projects' (boats, cars, aircraft, houses...) out there, plus other worthwhile things to do with your life (establishing businesses, competing in sport, traveling...) that can more than fill any spare time you might have around normal family and work life.

So I've no intention of doing another bus conversion after this one is finished - but I'm trying hard to be as ambitious as I can with this one (four slides, roof deck, fully-enclosed awning etc) so that I won't have any regrets or motivation to do a better one next time.

My next big project will be a river boat, but to have enough space to do that I will first have to buy a bigger property, which no doubt will be a project too.

Jeremy

A shameless plug for my business - visit www.magazineexchange.co.uk for back issue magazines - thousands of titles covering cars, motorbikes, aircraft, railways, boats, modelling etc. You'll find lots of interest, although not much covering American buses sadly.

Offline Bill B /bus

« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2010, 06:56:20 AM »
Two
1970 4108. started in 1993. finished 1999 (well almost), Sold 2007. Had a dinette when first done. Ripped out when youngest went to college. Kept her bunk. Nice coach. Decided to upgrade to an auto when offered money for the Buffalo. Put the V730 in the bay for the new owner.
Used the money to buy a 1986 102A3. Almost done with the conversion. Still have to finish trim in the bedroom. Front end is partially done. New dashboard is made but not installed. Have replaced 6V92TA with a Series 50. Torque is wonderful. Fuel mileage is great. Running a Trace4024, 4 solar panels, 6 8D AGM's, 102V refeer, washer/dryer(gas), satellite on roof (auto).
Worked on 4104's both interior and electrical.

Suggestion: use the thermal pane windows, insulation is critical for both comfort and noise reduction,

Bill
Bill & Lynn
MCI102A3, Series 50 w/HT740

Offline dpinson90

« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2010, 07:17:15 AM »
Well....lets see.....1st an old chevy school bus bought for $250...2nd..an Amarillo city bus fueled on propane.....3rd..an old Continental Trailways ACF-Brill with a Cummins pan-cake diesel....4th...a Continental Trailways GMC 4103 with a 671 motor........and presently....a Silver Eagle  1975 Model 05/10 with 8V71 engine....."stick a fork in me, Mabel, I'm done"....In Dec. I will be 80 yrs old....still working as a relief pharmacist for WalMart....so I guess the Eagle is our final product....boy!!!! do I love the Eagle!!!.........Our FMCA # is 571....been a member for a while (1964 or 65)_....During all this time....the Sticks and Staples guys took over our  FMCA....it is now so watered down with FACTORY MADE STUFF...there a no real He-man members any more...way back when our 5 kids were young....a bus was the only way to see the world.....even now...when we all get  together.....we rehash all the old memories of our trips.....Oh yes....we did all the conversions ourselves.

Offline RickB

• 81 MCI 9 smooth side 8V71 Allison 754
« Reply #18 on: July 12, 2010, 08:53:15 AM »
two

mid 70's 4905 which was the greatest money pit the civilized world has ever known (other than politics)
and our current smoking hot beautiful beast of an MCI 9. We are happy with the old girl.... she's a runner.

Rick
I will drive my Detroit hard... I will drive my Detroit hard.

Offline LEH44

« Reply #19 on: July 12, 2010, 09:57:00 AM »
 Only converted one so far 1983 MCI 9, Would I do it again? maybe one more time on a newer shell with updated driveline.
2 cycle engines are not for me. Learned a lot about what to use and what not to even think about again.

Offline JackConrad

• Orange Blossom Special II
  • 73' MC-8 8V71/HT740 Southwest Florida
« Reply #20 on: July 13, 2010, 06:05:42 AM »
Owned 2 and converted 3 others. When we got our MC-8, part of the deal was that I had to promise Paula this wouls be our last one. I said "OK, but let me know what you want inside the coach before I start, because I only want to do the interior 1 time". Work out OK, we did a 5 month trip last year and are in the middle of an 8 month trip this year.  I also converted 3 coaches for other owners. Jack
Growing Older Is Mandatory, Growing Up Is Optional
Arcadia, Florida, When we are home
http://s682.photobucket.com/albums/vv186/OBS-JC/

Offline bevans6

• 1980 MCI MC-5C
« Reply #21 on: July 13, 2010, 07:26:13 AM »
I have one bus and it's all I want to have.  Bought semi-converted, for about 50 cents on the dollar, and I'm slowly getting it closer to right.  I like it, my wife loves it, we will use it for probably the next 15 years or so, and then retire to a nursing home   :o

Brian
1980 MCI MC-5C, 8V-71T from a M-110 self propelled howitzer
Allison MT-647
Tatamagouche, Nova Scotia

Offline Chopper Scott

• MCI 7
« Reply #22 on: July 13, 2010, 06:04:35 PM »
It is nice to have those that have been through experiences to help us Brian. As far as the nursing home situation it will be nice to have someone like Jack giving us all tips down the road!! :D :D
Seven Heaven.... I pray a lot every time I head down the road!!
Bad decisions make good stories.

Offline Busted Knuckle

• 6 Setras, 2 MCIs, and 1 Dina. Just buses ;D
    • KY Lakeside Travel ... Just 4 the Fun of it!
« Reply #23 on: July 14, 2010, 10:00:36 AM »
Quote from: Chopper Scott
It is nice to have those that have been through experiences to help us Brian. As far as the nursing home situation it will be nice to have someone like Jack giving us all tips down the road!! :D :D

Ouch! ;)
;D  BK  ;D
Busted Knuckle aka Bryce Gaston
KY Lakeside Travel's Busted Knuckle Garage
Huntingdon, TN 12 minutes N of I-40 @ exit 108
www.kylakesidetravel.net

;D Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! ;D (at least thats what momma always told me! ;D)

Offline BJ

« Reply #24 on: July 15, 2010, 02:19:59 PM »
In 1969 I purchased a 67 vw westvalia camper, inproving the interior. Installed a dual port 1600 dual carb Weber's and towed my Harley all over the country. I lived in this little camper in southern Calif and lake Tahoe while working.  Then I found a 1956 dual speed rear end ford 28 foot bus with a blown engine. Installed a Lincoln 262 engine and off I went (stored my vw) I owned and lived in this bus for 10 years always wanting a true, "over the road bus."  Then one day in Oxnard Calif I found a 1958 retired crown  school bus from the school system there that they had to retire. It was powered with a Cummings engine that they installed. What can I say I redid the inside to suit me installed a turbo and traveled finally ending up in Tucson AZ where I worked and lived in it for 3 years. Left there and traveled to Okla to settle since it was cheap living there, lived in my Crown in a trailor park for 3 years. Purchased a home, first one in my life I was 65.  Found a part time retirement job driving a charter bus for a local company and purchased my final bus a 74 MCI and converted it to my finest conversion with everything I learned from the past conversions.  Owning a home is a new experience and I do not travel as much as I have but I have my motorcoach is the desire strikes...So I guess you could say I have had 4 conversions and loved everyone of them...

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal