Author Topic: Clogged injectors?  (Read 11155 times)

Offline 06 Bill

Re: Clogged injectors?
« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2010, 11:59:49 AM »
Check out your air filters carefully. On my 06 with the 8 cylinder engine it had 4 filter canisters. Also the plenum chamber itself
that connects them all together was almost completely plugged with nearly 40 years of crap. Usually have to take it down to get it cleaned out.    06 Bill

Offline scotty_vince

« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2010, 02:54:58 PM »
So I took the plenum out. And it was completely clogged with greasy sand and dirt (felt and looked like clay). So I disassembled it, cleaned it, put back in. Started it up and took off down the road. Same symptoms, no power. Checked the intake pAssage ways, nothing found. I left and bought a can of "Sea FoAm". Put it in, lots of white smoke, took it for a ride....and it seams to be fixed. I'm not Quite sure whAt the problem was, but I guess it doesn't matter. Comments welcome. Thanks for the help.

Offline luvrbus

« Reply #17 on: July 15, 2010, 03:10:36 PM »
You have a fuel supply problem your filters may look good but it does not take much to slow the flow get the fuel flowing the black smoke will go away and the power will increase. 

good luck
Life is short drink the good wine first

Offline scotty_vince

« Reply #18 on: July 15, 2010, 03:29:12 PM »
Cool. I'm going to change them out tommorrow. Thanks.

Offline bevans6

• 1980 MCI MC-5C
« Reply #19 on: July 16, 2010, 05:46:35 AM »
Where did you put the Seafoam?  I always though you put that into the carburetor?   

Brian
1980 MCI MC-5C, 8V-71T from a M-110 self propelled howitzer
Allison MT-647
Tatamagouche, Nova Scotia

Offline scotty_vince

« Reply #20 on: July 16, 2010, 09:12:22 AM »
I put it in the fuel tank.

Offline Chopper Scott

• MCI 7
« Reply #21 on: July 16, 2010, 10:38:36 AM »
Sea Foam is actually one of those snake oil products that really works.
Seven Heaven.... I pray a lot every time I head down the road!!
Bad decisions make good stories.

Offline jaypullen

« Reply #22 on: July 16, 2010, 05:38:48 PM »
What is seafoam and were can I get some Im having the same problem Black smoke loss of power and I checked the air intake (clear) and brand new air filters  I put this up a few weeks ago but still cant figure it out 1977 mci5 6v71 Any help is great Thanks JASON P

Offline ccbmster

« Reply #23 on: July 16, 2010, 06:04:48 PM »
Here is a link to the sea foam home page.  Tells you what it is, how it works, and has a link to find where you can buy it.

http://www.seafoamsales.com/

google is our friend you know

Mike

86 MCI 102A3  Travel MI, IN, OH, VA, KY, GA, FL, and OK with most time spent in GA and FL 6V92 with Allison 740 Automatic

Offline Len Silva

• Angle Parked in a Parallel Universe
    • Leonard Studio
« Reply #24 on: July 16, 2010, 06:05:51 PM »
Pardon my skepticism, but I truly do not believe that anything you put in your tank fixed the problem.

Hand Made Gifts

Ignorance is only bliss to the ignorant.

Offline gus

« Reply #25 on: July 16, 2010, 06:25:16 PM »
I have to agree with Len, that stuff is like all the rest of the snake oil treatments, it does no harm, probably but it also does no good. Solvents mostly, which may knock loose some crud, something almost any diesel fuel treatment will do.

I looked at the web page, not a word about how it actually works. Many words about what it does though!!

If it is original you have three oil bath air filters above the engine. These can have varmint nests or be overfilled with oil.

The nature of the oil bath system involves the incoming air pulling oil from the bottom reservoirs up onto the side of the inner metal mesh filter. Too much oil will cut off the air.

PD4107-152
PD4104-1274
Ash Flat, AR

Offline Chopper Scott

• MCI 7
« Reply #26 on: July 16, 2010, 07:20:35 PM »
I really have to disagree. I have had great success with Seafoam in many different things and it seems to be a pretty good product. Granted it may have not magically cured this problem but then again it just did. I've had similar results with it. It's cheap, doesn't do any damage and I've read about it on many other forums from bikes to car buffs. Take my opinion for what it's worth.... 2 cents! Later
Seven Heaven.... I pray a lot every time I head down the road!!
Bad decisions make good stories.

Offline robertglines1

• steam nut
« Reply #27 on: July 16, 2010, 07:33:14 PM »
John Deer  dealer here told us to use it in  one of our mowers to help solve valve train problem...said try before tearing it down....very skeptical but about 40 hrs later that unit is running OK....don't think it will last but got more production out of it at a busy time of year...Sea Foam?snake oil?  positive outcome this time...still don't trust or understand
Bob@Judy  98 XLE prevost with 3 slides --Home done---last one! SW INdiana

Offline OneLapper

• www.markdavia.com
« Reply #28 on: July 16, 2010, 08:00:23 PM »
At my Deere dealership my Parts Manager swore by Seafoam, and he sold a ton of it to customers!  I have a TDI Jetta with almost 300k on it.  One of the lifters was a little noisy on start up for about a minute.  He dumped half a can in the engine oil, I ran it for 5k miles, and the noise went away. It's been gone for 50k miles now.  I used it only that one time.  

Now, I've never tried it in diesel fuel, but if cleaned up that lifter, I would think it could clean up an injector, even if just a little bit!
OneLapper
1964 PD4106-2853
www.markdavia.com

Offline James77MCI8

« Reply #29 on: July 17, 2010, 08:51:39 AM »
Old DD mechanic here swears by it. I have used it in many problem engines and it works.
77 MCI 8
8V-71 4 spd

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal