Author Topic: Just gotta love EBay  (Read 3738 times)

Offline Brian Diehl

• www.brihil.com
Just gotta love EBay
« on: April 18, 2006, 07:34:09 AM »
I got lucky last night and scored and lightly used Blue Ox aluminum tow bar on Ebay for $275!  Man, I've been looking for the past 2 months and they always end up getting bid up to about $350 on the low end to over the price of the bar new!  So, in a little less than a week I'll have my towbar and can start working on the brackets!  SWEET!

Offline gumpy

• Some Assembly Required
  • Slightly modified 1982 MC9
    • bus.gumpydog.com
Re: Just gotta love EBay
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2006, 07:47:20 AM »
Brian,

I looked at the auction.  Decent looking towbar.

Couple of things...

You'll probably want to change the ends to tripple lugs.

Before you start working on the bracket, consider just buying one to fit whatever you're going to tow. Crystal Welding can order them for you. It's a heck of a lot easier to install one that's made for the application than it is to make one that fits the vehicle and towbar, and the warranty is a whole lot better if you have a problem (speaking from experience with Blue Ox warranty, and I can't speak highly enough about them). The time you'll save will be well worth the extra cost. BTDT, and very glad I did.

Also, if you're planning on towing your ranger, have you looked into what you have to do to tow it?  Let me know if you need a driveline disconnnect. I have one you can either modify for your truck, or if you need a new on, they used to take them back in on trade. It was a pretty good deal when I got mine. I don't think the ranger can be towed 4 down without modification and I don't think they have a neutral transfer option on the electronic shift transfer cases on them, like they do on the explorers.

Give me a call if you want to discuss any of this. You probably already know what my opinions are on towing setup, but I've been very happy with how mine has worked out.

Oh, and by the way, I think Scott at Crystal has a set of tripple lugs that will fit this towbar that he will let go pretty cheap. Give him a call. Ask him if he still has the one's he had last spring that I looked at.

craig
Craig Shepard
Located in Minnesquito

http://bus.gumpydog.com - "Some Assembly Required"

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal