Author Topic: 500 VAC coursing through chasse  (Read 6870 times)

Offline eagle19952

Re: 500 VAC coursing through chasse
« Reply #15 on: July 17, 2010, 02:07:59 PM »
Keep us Posted,interesting posts.
FWIW my flourescents are all of the 12 volt type with each a separate internal inverter,works well for me, I have changed all my 120v indirect lighting fluorescents (4 footers) to screw in's with pocelein bases,these each with a separate pull chain which hangs 3 "balls" inconspicuos, allows me to select the "mood",and conserve battery/inverter pwr.
Just a thought.
Donald PH
1978 Model 05 Eagle w/Torsilastic Suspension,8V71 N, DD, Allison on 24.5's 12kw Kubota.

Offline JohnEd

« Reply #16 on: July 17, 2010, 03:25:33 PM »
 speed shop owner asked me to explain a problem he was having with a electronic ignition a while back.  E had tested the unit, it was used, before he installed it.  Worked fine.  Installed it and it miss fired badly.  He checked the DC everywhere and found all normal.  I put the digital meter on AC and his 12 volt power read 50 volts.  HUMMMMMM.  I measured the bat for AC and got micro volts.  On the OTHER END of the 12 Volt feed to the device we got 1 volt AC.  Unit terminal....50 volts.  Replaced the wire and still 50.  Installed a small cap and all was well.  The unit had been replaced because the power input filter cap went bad and nobody could figure that out.  I got lucky, I guess.

So what?  A digital multimeter uses so very little power that it can measure "noise" on the line.  Use a mechanical meter and see what that stray voltage reads. 

Even though the light circuit  is verified to be the problem....NOW. Get your chassis ground sorted out and see if the problem doesn't go away with it.  If that is the case be advised that you are not finished with the repair.  No way the chassis should become lethal even if the chassis ground gets lifted.  Not preaching at you now.  Not talking down either....the kids are listening.

Good luck,

John
"An uneducated vote is a treasonous act more damaging than any treachery of the battlefield.
The price of apathy towards public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." Plato
“We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light.”
—Pla

Offline robertglines1

• steam nut
« Reply #17 on: July 17, 2010, 04:00:34 PM »
From years past when the rv industry was not regulated as far as quality...I developed a habit of first touching a camper with the back of my fingers to ck for electrical current..the reason your muscles contract when elect passes thru them..so if you touched with the inside of your fingers they would contract and you couldn't let go...this lesson was learned pre 70's when things were not so clear as to require earth grounding...still a habit and I have got tingled on ocassion on some sticks&staples..I do touch my bus like that but have never been shocked..
Bob@Judy  98 XLE prevost with 3 slides --Home done---last one! SW INdiana

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal