Author Topic: Insulated Generator Box  (Read 10349 times)

Offline gus

Insulated Generator Box
« on: August 19, 2006, 03:20:18 PM »
Has anyone built an Insulated Generator Box with sides and top of plywood and EHP insulation? This box will enclose the gen but be removable with the gen.

I plan to do this for a Honda EV6010 but sure would like to hear from some who have actually done this. All this box does is direct the cooling air to the proper places and then out the bottom of the box.

The exhaust exits the bottom plate also which will be steel.

This EHP stuff is great, I've used it to wrap my Onan air cooled exhaust and it just about does away with exhaust heat.

The reason I want to use plywood is for sound dampening and ease of construction. I would like to avoid a big metal sound amplifying box!!
PD4107-152
PD4104-1274
Ash Flat, AR

Offline ceieio

• MCI 7 DD 8V71, HT740
  • 1973 MCI 7
Re: Insulated Generator Box
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2006, 03:39:37 PM »
Gus - that sounds like a good idea.  I need to build a box for my 6010 as well.  I want to use plywood and was thinking of a foil backed rigid foam or some such to line it with.  Before I get too serious about it, I will probably call Dick Wright ar Wrico and see what he recommends for sound killer...

Right now I need to finish putting my interior back together after my skin the windows and remodel the inside project got our of control.  Having the wife involved is a blessing right??? :)

Craig - MC7 Oregon
Craig MC7 - Oregon USA

Offline jjrbus

• MCI5C/N Ft Myers FL
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2006, 07:25:21 PM »
 I had built a sound box for diesel genset, got rid the diesel, so fabricated a aluminum box for the Honda inside the original sound box. The original box was built from 3/4 inch plywood, with the foil faced foam/vynal. I have seen many sound boxes for diesels built from plywood.
 That said, Jack in Arcadia FL is putting sound deading foam down then a sheet of lead, then plywood and mounting the generator to the plywood. If I had seen this befor installing the genset I would have went that route. My genset is very quiet, but I am sure that would have made it even quieter!!
Remember, even at a Mensa convention someone is the dumbest person in the room!

http://photobucket.com/buspictures

Offline gus

« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2006, 08:26:20 PM »
Craig,

Where did you get your 6010?

I don't have mine yet but found one on ebay for a pretty good price.

I've pretty much decided to line my box with two layers of Rollboard from EHP, http://www.engineheatprotection.com/products.html,
with maybe a foil  backing.

Will you ask Dick Wright what he thinks of EHP products?

Thanks
PD4107-152
PD4104-1274
Ash Flat, AR

Offline jjrbus

• MCI5C/N Ft Myers FL
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2006, 04:43:46 AM »
 Some retailers do not include the muffler in the price they advertise, some do. The muffler is approx. $200

Offline gus

« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2006, 11:21:27 AM »
jjr,

Yes, this is without the muffler and remote control. That is a steep price for a muffler and the remote is $99, not quite so bad.

I could probably make my own muffler and exhaust but the flange may be metric so don't know about fitting a pipe to it. A Honda bike or auto exhaust might fit.

PD4107-152
PD4104-1274
Ash Flat, AR

Offline jjrbus

• MCI5C/N Ft Myers FL
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2006, 01:10:40 PM »
I bought a refurbished unit from Hinklin power, it came with the muffler. Actually when I bought the genset I was not going to use the muffler, so I told them not to send it. 3 months later I called and said I needed it, they sent it, all I had to pay was the freight!!!!   I had to chop it up a bit and weld it back together but it works. You do not need to use the Honda remote, most universal ones will work. I checked the Honda bike mufflers, they are pricey.

Offline gus

« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2006, 05:49:37 PM »
jjr,

The Honda remote is $99, are the others cheaper?

What brand is yours?

I'll give Hinklin a try and see if they have any refurbished ones.

Did you use the side or bottom muffler and why?

Just trying to get some ideas.

Thanks
PD4107-152
PD4104-1274
Ash Flat, AR

Offline NJT5047

« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2006, 06:49:08 PM »
I bought a refurbished unit from Hinklin power, it came with the muffler. Actually when I bought the genset I was not going to use the muffler, so I told them not to send it. 3 months later I called and said I needed it, they sent it, all I had to pay was the freight!!!! I had to chop it up a bit and weld it back together but it works. You do not need to use the Honda remote, most universal ones will work. I checked the Honda bike mufflers, they are pricey.

Don't have any Gold Wing mufflers (I believe this concept originated with Brian Brown) but I have several sets of slightly used or new Kaw 1500 mufflers.  These things would require considerable mods to use on a genset.  They are about the same length and diameter as Gold Wing muffles.  Pay the shipping and you can have one.  If interested, let me know and I'll post some dimensions.   They are heavy and round...use quite a bit of space under a coach.   Look at a Kawasaki VN1500 Classic motorcycle and that's what I have.  Have some VN800s too...although they are oddly shaped on the exhaust end.  Both have approx 1.5" inlets.   They have no value to me. 
I've put the mufflers on Ebay at $25 bucks and received totally zero interest. 
Early Gold Wing mufflers had an advantage of terminating in a 10" section of pipe...these mufflers terminate in baloney cuts.  Don't think any extensions would be necessary with planning. 
I'll be at Timmonsville and would bring a couple if anyone wants one.  The cost would be about...one adult beverage?  Milwaukee's Cheapest is OK.  Or stop by in North Carolina and get one.  I'm going to throw them away one of these days. 
As jjr sez, new ones are expensive...about $650 each...more for the cat converter mufflers...but these big single pin V-Twins sound cool with Vance or Cobra drag pipes.   No one wants OEM muffs.   Got some Yamaha mufflers...and probably some VL1500 Suzuki pipes too.   Also have a couple of Hayabusa mufflers with "light" damage...these would all be very quiet on a genset.   My thoughts is that a small oval automotive muffler  would be the best bet...I'm going to try that one of these days...but my muffler isn't really that bad.
Let me know. 
Cheerio, JR
JR Lynch , Charlotte, NC
87 MC9, 6V92TA DDEC, HT748R ATEC

"Every government interference in the economy consists of giving an unearned benefit, extorted by force, to some men at the expense of others.”

Ayn Rand

Offline brojcol

• Jimmy
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2006, 06:33:27 AM »
If the EV 6010 is properly muffled, soundproofing should not be a big problem.  Trust me, I had a 6010 in my bus and once parked next to a very expensive stick and staple with a high dollar Onan.  My generator was not as loud as theirs...

my .02 worth.

Jimmy

"Ask yourself this question...Are you funky enough to be a globetrotter?  Well are you???  ARE YOU?!?!

deal with it."            Professor Bubblegum Tate

Offline gus

« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2006, 03:22:10 PM »
JR,

Thanks for the offer. After I get the gen then I can figure out just what I need.

Jimmy,

Thanks, convinces me even more that this is the right gen for me.
PD4107-152
PD4104-1274
Ash Flat, AR

Offline jjrbus

• MCI5C/N Ft Myers FL
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2006, 06:53:09 PM »
I used the bottom mount, I had no room for the side mount so it was not a consideration. I would not want to mount the muffler in the genny compartment becuse of heat. Also the side mount muffler exhausts out the bottom of genset anyway. You have to plan carefully when putting muffler under bus, it is going to be pretty close to ground. People like to mount them in front of rear tire.I put mine behind front tire.
 I ordered the  Honda remote then after saw generic's (don't remember where) for $50/60 dollars.  I'm not 100% sure, but if it will start an Onan it will run a Honda. Read the instalation manual carefully!
                                                                                                 Work?/Play safely Jim

Offline gus

« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2006, 09:06:18 PM »
Jim,

Since the EV6010 is so low I plan to elevate it and put the muffler at the bottom if possible. My generator compartment is completely open at the bottom.

Muffler heat on my Onan is not much of a problem now because I wrapped it with EHP wet blanket material. Before that it was so hot it set off my propane tank safety valve when I ran it while stopped!! It is still under the tank but is no longer a heat problem.

My exhaust is behind the front tire also.

I got the Honda Installation Manual off the net and have been absorbing it. It is going to make a much neater and quieter setup than my Onan, it is a noisy, shaky, hot machine.
PD4107-152
PD4104-1274
Ash Flat, AR

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal