Author Topic: Looking at a Prevost...Need Help!!!  (Read 19741 times)

Offline muddog16

• Example is more powerful than reproach. ~Aesop
    • Prevost LeMirage Conversion
Re: Looking at a Prevost...Need Help!!!
« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2010, 02:32:21 PM »
Outside looks pretty good!  I would say its the Church's responsibility to fire this bus up to make sure it runs and to check it out, manual shift is a bummer! Two new battery's would only run about 250 bucks!  They are trying to sell it.........why spend your time making it run.......?  I'd have to agree with Bob, 6 to maybe 9K at the most if it runs and shifts and the clutch is good! Cracks in the air bags are normal for this age of bus........you would be surprised how thick these bags are!  Best thing to do would be run for the door.........no just kidding!   Crank this baby up, let it air up and test drive it before making an offer. Good luck!
Pat

1982 Prevost LeMirage
8V92TA/HT754

http://prevostlemirage.blogspot.com/

Offline Highway Yacht

• *****Jimmy*****
  • Locust, North Carolina
    • WWW.MciBusTalk.Com
« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2010, 02:46:06 PM »
Outside looks pretty good!  I would say its the Church's responsibility to fire this bus up to make sure it runs and to check it out, manual shift is a bummer! Two new battery's would only run about 250 bucks!  They are trying to sell it.........why spend your time making it run.......?  I'd have to agree with Bob, 6 to maybe 9K at the most if it runs and shifts and the clutch is good! Cracks in the air bags are normal for this age of bus........you would be surprised how thick these bags are!  Best thing to do would be run for the door.........no just kidding!   Crank this baby up, let it air up and test drive it before making an offer. Good luck!

Well my intentions are to make a low offer like it sits with the understanding that I will ONLY buy it after I crank the bus, let it air up, and then drive it. I feel like I might have more bargaining power with it having dead batteries than I would after they sent someone from the Church out to purchase batteries and install them. The batteries are not a big deal to me since I have 2 good batteries in my RTS that I could use. Maybe I could save $1000 by going this route. Even if the bus ran lousy or won't start, I'm only out a couple hours of my time and $10 in gas.  If they won't accept my lower offer under the conditions that I can walk away if not satisfied after I do crank it, then I'll drop it where it is and forget about it.
1979 MC-9  8V71-Turbo / HT740             * www.MciBusTalk.com *
Locust, North Carolina                           A Site Dedicated To MCI's

Offline ccbmster

« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2010, 03:00:25 PM »
??????

That doesn't look anything at all like the 8v71 in my 82 MC9
86 MCI 102A3  Travel MI, IN, OH, VA, KY, GA, FL, and OK with most time spent in GA and FL 6V92 with Allison 740 Automatic

Offline muddog16

• Example is more powerful than reproach. ~Aesop
    • Prevost LeMirage Conversion
« Reply #18 on: July 23, 2010, 03:04:05 PM »
Yep that is a 8V71 non turbo charged engine...........270 to 300 hp
Pat

1982 Prevost LeMirage
8V92TA/HT754

http://prevostlemirage.blogspot.com/

Offline Busted Knuckle

• 6 Setras, 2 MCIs, and 1 Dina. Just buses ;D
    • KY Lakeside Travel ... Just 4 the Fun of it!
« Reply #19 on: July 23, 2010, 03:42:15 PM »
Good eye Bob, I missed that aux A/C compressor the first time. Had to go back and look again.
;D  BK  ;D
Busted Knuckle aka Bryce Gaston
KY Lakeside Travel's Busted Knuckle Garage
Huntingdon, TN 12 minutes N of I-40 @ exit 108
www.kylakesidetravel.net

;D Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! ;D (at least thats what momma always told me! ;D)

Offline Highway Yacht

• *****Jimmy*****
  • Locust, North Carolina
    • WWW.MciBusTalk.Com
« Reply #20 on: July 23, 2010, 08:18:40 PM »
Is the Aux Air in anyway connected with the stock OTR coach air?.. They did mention that the OTR A/C was not cooling due to needing recharging. I was wondering if the OTR A/C was not cooling did that mean the Aux A/C wouldn't cool either.

Offline Lin

• 1965 MC-5a
« Reply #21 on: July 23, 2010, 09:01:52 PM »
Whenever someone sells a vehicle in which the AC does not work they say it needs a recharge.  It is seldom the case that that is the only problem.  Assume the the OTR AC does not work and is likely not worth fixing.  That alone is not a huge deal.  Most conversions just use their house air while traveling.
You don't have to believe everything you think.

Offline BUR

« Reply #22 on: July 23, 2010, 11:02:40 PM »
   The OTR air won't work very good until you put a drive belt to the compressor.  I had to replace all of the metal above the drives. I have the 6 speed and I like it, but an Allison would be nice if I could get the wife behind the wheel. Good looking straight bus.    Good Busin'     Wilbur
1980 Prevost   8V92 HT754CR
Homebase   Yuma AZ

Offline JackConrad

• Orange Blossom Special II
  • 73' MC-8 8V71/HT740 Southwest Florida
« Reply #23 on: July 24, 2010, 05:14:33 AM »
If the AC "just needs recharging", at the least it has a leak.  Could be anything from a loose fitting to a bad compressor, condensor, or evaporator.  When we purchased our bus, we were told "AC needs recharging". Since I had already planned to remove the OEM AC, it made no difference.  Jack
Growing Older Is Mandatory, Growing Up Is Optional
Arcadia, Florida, When we are home
http://s682.photobucket.com/albums/vv186/OBS-JC/

Offline desi arnaz

« Reply #24 on: July 24, 2010, 05:23:15 AM »
you really should be ashamed of yourself ,trying to get a better deal from a church,  you could burn in hell for that.    remember god is watching.
thomas f  Bethlehem n.h

Offline belfert

« Reply #25 on: July 24, 2010, 05:58:17 AM »
The OTR air did not work on my bus when purchased.  I was able to determine before I bought the bus that all of the R134A was gone because a plug had blown out.  I decided not to fix the OTR air and I removed it all.  It was a good thing because I determined that the the condenser fans were almost all siezed up.  If it had been refilled the same thing would have happened again.
Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN

Offline Busted Knuckle

• 6 Setras, 2 MCIs, and 1 Dina. Just buses ;D
    • KY Lakeside Travel ... Just 4 the Fun of it!
« Reply #26 on: July 24, 2010, 06:38:31 AM »
The OTR air did not work on my bus when purchased.  I was able to determine before I bought the bus that all of the R134A was gone because a plug had blown out.  I decided not to fix the OTR air and I removed it all.  It was a good thing because I determined that the the condenser fans were almost all siezed up.  If it had been refilled the same thing would have happened again.

Brian those fans are easy to replace! I still think you screwed up removing yours, Dina's are known for having an awesome A/C system! (why ya think so many companies that run into Mexico love them? Well the ground clearance also!)
FWIW ;D  BK  ;D
Busted Knuckle aka Bryce Gaston
KY Lakeside Travel's Busted Knuckle Garage
Huntingdon, TN 12 minutes N of I-40 @ exit 108
www.kylakesidetravel.net

;D Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! ;D (at least thats what momma always told me! ;D)

Offline robertglines1

• steam nut
« Reply #27 on: July 24, 2010, 11:30:04 AM »
the aux air is a seperate system...if you moved it to the front(evaporator) it is 2 ton of ac THATS 24,000 BTU...GOOD FOR GOING DOWN ROAD sorry about caps keep hitting wrong key...the run to the front would require a additional 6oz of oil...to lube lines....Detroit keeps good records by s eral # of work they do. They can give you a print out of how the engine was originaly configured..for some reason I think the prevost spec was 318 hp..
Bob@Judy  98 XLE prevost with 3 slides --Home done---last one! SW INdiana

Offline Highway Yacht

• *****Jimmy*****
  • Locust, North Carolina
    • WWW.MciBusTalk.Com
« Reply #28 on: July 24, 2010, 12:20:29 PM »
Well...it makes no difference now.. The Bus has been SOLD!!!!!  Thanks for everyone's help and suggestions... Maybe I can locate one that has already had a partial conversion that I can just finish.. Thanks Again.

Offline Lin

• 1965 MC-5a
« Reply #29 on: July 24, 2010, 12:22:32 PM »
The way things are now, there are a lot of great deals on converted coaches.
You don't have to believe everything you think.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal