Poll

How long should someone be allowed to change or delete one of their post?

15 minutes
1 (1.9%)
1 hour
1 (1.9%)
24 hours
18 (34.6%)
1 week
7 (13.5%)
1 month
7 (13.5%)
no limit
18 (34.6%)

Total Members Voted: 51

Author Topic: How Long Before A Post Cannot Be Deleted  (Read 15105 times)

Offline JackConrad

• Orange Blossom Special II
  • 73' MC-8 8V71/HT740 Southwest Florida
How Long Before A Post Cannot Be Deleted
« on: July 25, 2010, 08:50:48 AM »
    OK everyone, Y'all have been voicing your opinions on how long a person should have to change or delete their post. Here is your chance to vote. The moderators will certainly take this into consideration when changing the existing policy (if change is needed).          
    Remember everyone has their own opinion and just because someone else does not agree with your opinion does not make them stupid,  arrogant, a moron, a fool, etc.  Jack
Growing Older Is Mandatory, Growing Up Is Optional
Arcadia, Florida, When we are home
http://s682.photobucket.com/albums/vv186/OBS-JC/

Offline belfert

Re: How Long Before A Post Cannot Be Deleted
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2010, 09:19:08 AM »
I don't see why it is such a big deal if someone deletes their posts?  I personally get a lot more value from current posts than from the vast archive.

The search function is so bad that I can't even find my own posts at times when I know the exact words I used.  Trying to ever find a an old thread is frustrating.
Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN

Offline RJ

• Vantaré Conversion "Miss Vivian"
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2010, 09:21:44 AM »
Jack -

. . . stupid,  arrogant, a moron, a fool, etc. 

Hey, I resemble that remark!!

;D
1992 Prevost XL Vantaré Conversion M1001907 8V92T/HT-755 (DDEC/ATEC)
2003 VW Jetta TDI Sportwagon "Towed"
Cheney WA (when home)

HighTechRedneck

« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2010, 09:31:24 AM »
The search function is so bad that I can't even find my own posts at times when I know the exact words I used.  Trying to ever find a an old thread is frustrating.

Have you tried it lately?  The new server's capacity and speed enabled some improvements to the search function.  In tests I did on it, it looks like the built in search is performing much better now.  I do recommend using the Search function from the menu bar rather than the quick search at the top of the page.

That said, Google also provides a useful site search method as well.  Type in the keywords and then site:busconversions.com

I wouldn't discount the importance of the archived information.  A lot of people are accessing it and Google has it all indexed and updates the indexes every day.  And our "improved" search function now uses indexes and maintains them in real time.

Offline buddydawg

« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2010, 09:41:34 AM »
The search functin started working again for me and I use it often.  The discussions here contain tons of useful knowledge and I hate to see it lost. (unless it is from kyle or the likes....   ;) )
1972 GMC T6H-5308A #024

Brandon Stewart - Martinez, GA

Offline belfert

« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2010, 09:44:19 AM »
I had not tried the search in quite a while.  I tried it just now and it seems to be better, but time will tell.
Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN

Offline kyle4501

• NEWELL in South Carolina
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2010, 10:23:14 AM »
. . . I hate to see it lost. (unless it is from kyle or the likes....   ;) )
Yeah, some things should be forgotten  :o

stupid,  arrogant, a moron, a fool, etc. 
Was someone looking for me?  ;D  ;D  ;D

As to how long, I'd vote for the 48 hours time limit to change text. However, if something comes to light afterwards, an addendum can be added (old text remains unchanged) to explain things as required.

As for searching the archives : With all the questions I have, if not for that feature, I would probably be one of the top 10 message starters!  ;D
(all it takes is practice to learn what words work best & how to narrow down the field)  8)

Peaceful moderating - y'all   8)  ;D
Life is all about finding people who are your kind of crazy

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please (Mark Twain)

Education costs money.  But then so does ignorance. (Sir Claus Moser)

cody

« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2010, 10:26:15 AM »
I thought a maroon was a cocoanut kind of cookie.

Offline kyle4501

« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2010, 10:34:27 AM »
One of the problems with removing posts is that some of the subsequent posts loose their meaning.

Also, if a curmudgeon's posts are deleted on a regular basis, a newbie (who has done their homework & read all the archives) won't know & may take a belligerent sounding post personally.

Anyone remember 2dogs? He sure could rub people the wrong way, but once you got to see those posts, you'd know you were in good company & not alone when you got the "2dog special".

History is important for future success - we don't have time to make all the mistakes ourselves . . .

Offline belfert

« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2010, 11:10:31 AM »
I guess the real question is who owns the posts?  Do all posts become property of Bus Conversions Enterprises to do what they wish with once I hit the post button?  Is there a terms of service that defines who owns posts?

Unless the posts are property of Bus Conversions Enterprises a user should be able to delete their posts at any time.  I personally would never see a reason to delete/edit my really old posts.  I wouldn't have the time to delete them all manually and no skill to create a script to do it.

Offline Hi yo silver

« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2010, 11:25:22 AM »
I agree with Brian.  Besides, our moderators have enough work to do.  If we keep expecting more out of 'em, first thing ya know, they'll want a pay raise! 

Dennis
Blue Ridge Mountains of VA   Hi Yo Silver! MC9 Gone, not forgotten

Offline sweeney153

• Sweeney 153
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2010, 11:36:33 AM »
In all the time this board has existed has this ever happened before? If this is a once every 10 year issue, then I say leave it alone. "Don't fix sumthin that ain't broke."

Now back to buses.
Warwick NY
1964 4106-2703 8V71 Spicer 4 speed

Offline kyle4501

« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2010, 11:42:36 AM »
I guess it is also point of view -
Is this a place to archive all things bus conversion related?
Is this a place to hang out & chew the fat on bus related topics?
Is this a dry erase public access board that the old stuff is pushed off by the new stuff?

Seems one of the reasons to change to this format from the old one was to have a archive to retain the good answers to the questions that seem to come up frequently. (The new security features put a stop to the spam  ;D )

Your ability to delete a post does not remove it from history. Someone somewhere can retrieve it because they saved it. Once you post something on a public bulletin board without copyrighting it first, aren't you giving it away?
Some are over thinking this-

To ease the burden on the moderators:
Freeze editing options after 48 hours.
If you want to clarify your post after 48 hours, add a new reply.
If the thread is locked, either tough beans, or you have to beg a moderator to add your addendum.
If you don't like the fact that people can read what you wrote after you have changed your mind, stop writing things down.  ;)
See, simple  8)

Offline Barn Owl

• Roanoke, VA
  • PD4106-1063 "Wheezy Bus"
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2010, 12:31:49 PM »
Is there not an option for weeks? Months? It is the history that goes back several years that should not be lost. 48hrs is not enough time so I had to place a vote for no limit. It probably was a once in several year occurrence. Just don't need any copycats to follow.
L. Christley - W3EYE Amateur Extra
Blue Ridge Mountains, S.W. Virginia
It’s the education gained, and the ability to apply, and share, what we learn.
Have fun, be great, that way you have Great Fun!

Offline JackConrad

• Orange Blossom Special II
  • 73' MC-8 8V71/HT740 Southwest Florida
« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2010, 03:50:12 PM »
OK,  I changed the options and removed all the votes. You will have to vote again, but I added a couple more options.  Jack
Growing Older Is Mandatory, Growing Up Is Optional
Arcadia, Florida, When we are home
http://s682.photobucket.com/albums/vv186/OBS-JC/

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal