Author Topic: advice on slide out rooms from Austrailia  (Read 4312 times)

Offline dooneb4

advice on slide out rooms from Austrailia
« on: August 20, 2006, 01:41:33 AM »
 ??? hi guys my name is Doone Barry from townsville in Austrailia I have just started my 4th bus a 1988 scania double deck
coach ,there are no slide out mechanisim manufactures in Austrailia and the commercail motor home builders dont want to help me.

do any of you have any leads on where to get the mechanisims and any advice on seals and room builing I would prefer electric slide
I have contacted HWH corp but they are not interested in helping me unless I do fitting training at there factory

on ya guys
doone

Offline Jeremy

• 1987 Bedford Plaxton
    • Magazine Exchange
Re: advice on slide out rooms from Austrailia
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2006, 03:24:44 AM »
Another company it might be worth trying is http://www.powergearus.com/, and there are various others if you do some googling. I am in a similar position to yourself, in that there are no domestic companies dealing with slide-outs in my country (UK). After doing a LOT of research into the subject I concluded that once you have decided on a mechanism design (and there are a lot of choices there), the actual engineering is fairly straightforward and could be handled by any competent fabrication company. There really aren't any 'proprietary' parts involved - those that may appear to proprietary (linear slides, sealing systems, motor mechanisms) are probably available off-the-shelf from any industrial supply company dealing with factory automation systems.

Hope that helps

Jeremy
A shameless plug for my business - visit www.magazineexchange.co.uk for back issue magazines - thousands of titles covering cars, motorbikes, aircraft, railways, boats, modelling etc. You'll find lots of interest, although not much covering American buses sadly.

Ncbob

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2006, 04:16:51 AM »
You might try www.barkermfg.com and inquire about their geared slideout mechanisms.  I worked for them years ago and always respected their products, some of which I use today.

Good Luck with your project.

NCbob

Offline Ray D

« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2006, 01:20:42 PM »
If you have the skills to build the slideout, you should have the skils to build your own mechanisms.  I would stay away from the gear types if possible.  I studied the big boys stuff and then built my own, I have the front on an X-slide (like HWH) and then my back one is just two rails that slide together and a hydraulic cylinder and neither one of them take up any bay stuff.  I got the cylinders and pumps at one of the surplus places and it was from HWH.  If you want to see what I did I can send you some pictures if you email me.

Thanks,
Ray D

Offline jazvedo

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2014, 09:29:09 PM »
Ray D, Can I get your email?
I would love frame pics
Jason@mosaic-sf.com

Offline wg4t50

« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2014, 03:32:16 AM »
Creating and building a slide out is just part of the deal, do not forget the issue of sealing up, both when in and in the out position.  Having had service  done at HWH in Moscow Iowa, never an issue with the slide, the leveling & air leaks was the reason for the visit.  There is more it than just moving in / out.
My setup uses the air seal, like a bicycle inner tube around the entire slide, uses air pressure to seal, works great, no snags, no leaks, just does nice.
Seems the seal type that uses the over lapping flange with a rubber gasket have issues with leaks etc.
Good luck
Dave M
MCI7 20+ Yrs
Foretravel w/ISM500
WG4T CW for ever.
Central Virginia

Offline Van

B&B CoachWorks
Bus Shop Mafia.

Offline Aussiecoach

« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2014, 04:43:33 AM »
Hi Doone

If you are interested, I have a couple of these
http://www.happijac.com/index.php/2011-08-15-13-57-08
I can sell you

Located in Sydney

Cheerz
Glen

Offline Tony LEE

• Photo Albums
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2014, 07:30:09 AM »
Your main problem might be to find a certifying engineer to sign off on the completed project unless he is fully-involved in the project design (at great cost of course)

Offline Aussiecoach

« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2014, 02:30:00 PM »
Just noticed original post was from 2006. He might be finished or given up by now

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal