Author Topic: from sleeping 5 to sleeping 8 in 30 min for under $200  (Read 1772 times)

Offline txjeff

from sleeping 5 to sleeping 8 in 30 min for under $200
« on: August 09, 2010, 04:15:57 PM »
The wife and I were planning a camping trip for our family of five, when I asked who was going she replied "the girls dont want to go because they cant take a friend along"(teenagers ;D). Being the creator that I am I started looking at the bus trying to find extra sleeping spaces. With a bed, a couch that folds out, and the kitchen table that converts in to a bed we can sleep 5.

The way the PO installed the oversized kitchen and the toilet and shower on opposite sides really limited the space available unless I totally redesigned the bedroom and storage space. I thought about tearing everything out and starting new then a thought hit me.......bunk bed conversions. Im not sure if any of you have seen the couch that converts to bunk beds, but for $6000.00 that wasnt a option for me. So my mind goes into creator mode and as Im looking I think why not build your own bunk beds.

I didnt want anything permanent, so I designed the beds with square tubing, plywood, and air mattresses. I put a double bed mattress in the bedroom and a twin size over the the kitchen table.

I designed it to bolt together and when its taken down it will all fit in the closet and one person can put it up in 30 min or less. All the materials cost under $200.00.

I realize that this doesnt work for everyone but those with children or grandchildren who like to bring friends along it beats sleeping on the floor.

jeff

73 MC-7combo
Brenham, Texas

Offline Chopper Scott

• MCI 7
Re: from sleeping 5 to sleeping 8 in 30 min for under $200
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2010, 05:22:07 PM »
Pretty good idea Jeff. I'm sure others will want more pics!
Seven Heaven.... I pray a lot every time I head down the road!!
Bad decisions make good stories.

Offline kwood

« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2010, 05:58:37 PM »
Nice idea!  With four kids of my own we built in double bunks in our bus.

Offline MattC

• Recycled DART Bus 8284
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2010, 06:26:41 PM »
Jeff,

IMHO that is a great field expedient solution.  Something that would be great to have handy when the kid and her kid drop by for a ride.  Well done!

Matt
MCI 102A3 / 6V92 / HT740
Camping in our House LOL
WL7CQH

Offline NewbeeMC9

• NewbeeMC9
  • 1981 MC9 8V71, HT 740
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2010, 03:17:50 AM »
Interesting Idea,

Good thing about having boys is there is a tent in the bay they can use. :D

I had also thought about putting hooks above the windows and below the cabinets so hammocks could be hung at an angle across the bus
It's all fun and games til someone gets hurt. ;)

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal