June 24, 2018, 12:36:34 PM

Author Topic: Email being harvested...  (Read 5108 times)

Offline gumpy

• Some Assembly Required
  • Slightly modified 1982 MC9
    • bus.gumpydog.com
Email being harvested...
« on: April 14, 2006, 04:26:57 AM »
Well, my email address was harvested from the MAK bulletin board by spammers and phishers. 

I'm not sure if it came from this board, or the old one. I set it up when I registered for this one, but I think I may have used it once or twice on the old board.

I've changed it now. Will see if it happens again.

craig
Craig Shepard
Located in Minnesquito

http://bus.gumpydog.com - "Some Assembly Required"

Offline Nick Badame Refrig/ACC

• 1989, MCI 102C3, 8V92T, HT740, 06' conversion FMCA# F-27317-S "Wife- 1969 Italian/German Style"
  • Global Moderator
  • Nick & Michelle Badame
    • Nick Badame Refrigeration LLC
Re: Email being harvested...
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2006, 05:24:39 AM »
Craig,

I am checking into it, I'll let you know!!

And Sorry If it came from the old board!

Nick-
Whatever it takes!-GITIT DONE! 
Commercial Refrigeration- Ice machines- Heating & Air/ Atlantic Custom Coach Inc.
Master Mason- Cannon Lodge #104
https://www.facebook.com/atlanticcustomcoach
www.atlanticcustomcoach.com

Offline gumpy

• Some Assembly Required
    • bus.gumpydog.com
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2006, 05:39:52 AM »
Nick,

I just sent phil an email. You guys need to get rid of that old board. The posts are screwed up again, and some of the legit posts are actually poker links.

It's time for the old board to die.

Long live the new board!
Craig Shepard
Located in Minnesquito

Offline plyonsMC9

• Global Moderator
  • Big Wheels Turnin'
    • PhilLyons.com
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2006, 06:41:37 AM »
Hi Craig,

I'm registered in a couple of places on the new board.  I've yet to receive any spam from this.  If you would like to forward me the email/spam, I can look into blocking the IP.   Last night night, we had a suspect email address, which I blocked.   I may need to change the registration process - for FUTURE folk looking to join - to add an extra verification process.

Thanks for the close watch on things Nick.  You are doing a A #1 job!!!!

Best Regards,

Northern Arizona / 1983 - MC9

Offline gumpy

• Some Assembly Required
    • bus.gumpydog.com
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2006, 06:56:41 AM »
It got dumped in my spam bucket, and I already deleted it. Can't recover it.

I changed the email address. If I get any more, I'll forward it to you. This one will only be used on this board.

I've started setting up separate email aliases for various places on the net which I have email listed. That allows me to tell which sites are being harvested from. They all get routed to one account, but if it's recognized spam, it gets nabbed by my email provider and placed in a separate directory for my later review. Works pretty well.

Craig Shepard
Located in Minnesquito

Offline plyonsMC9

• Global Moderator
  • Big Wheels Turnin'
    • PhilLyons.com
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2006, 07:27:13 AM »

I changed the email address. If I get any more, I'll forward it to you. This one will only be used on this board.

I've started setting up separate email aliases for various places on the net which I have email listed. That allows me to tell which sites are being harvested from. They all get routed to one account, but if it's recognized spam, it gets nabbed by my email provider and placed in a separate directory for my later review. Works pretty well.

Sounds pretty close to how I handle my email.   - Now -  if I could just remember all the different accounts  ???  :'(  ::)
Northern Arizona / 1983 - MC9

Offline gumpy

• Some Assembly Required
    • bus.gumpydog.com
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2006, 08:11:33 AM »

Sounds pretty close to how I handle my email.   - Now -  if I could just remember all the different accounts  ???  :'(  ::)

Yeah, it sucks. I have to go log into my registrar account to figure out what I used.
Craig Shepard
Located in Minnesquito

Dallas

« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2006, 09:00:05 AM »

Phil and Craig,
Why not make the email alias something like: PLYONSMAK@***.com and the one at BNO, PLYONSBNO@***.com. Then, make your password simple to remember for that particular website: MAKDOTCOM or BNODAUGHTKOM. something that is going to remind you when you see the email header?
As Fred said, KISS
Dallas

Offline JimC

« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2006, 07:56:04 PM »
Guys
How about placing XXX in front of your email address, I'm not sure what board got me started doing that but they can't do the automatic attachment thing if you do that.
If there were instructions at the profile log in to do that everyone would know to drop the XXX when they wanted to send you a private email.
JimC 4106
4106 - 8-71/730
Oconomowoc, Wisconsin
between Milwaukee & Madison