Author Topic: BEWARE OF THE JUNKYARD BUS!!!!  (Read 16271 times)

cody

Re: BEWARE OF THE JUNKYARD BUS!!!!
« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2010, 05:47:32 AM »
Snakes are part of my religion, the good lord put everything on the earth for a reason, he put snakes here to give me something to kill and to keep me from killing son in laws.

Offline Busted Knuckle

• 6 Setras, 2 MCIs, and 1 Dina. Just buses ;D
    • KY Lakeside Travel ... Just 4 the Fun of it!
« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2010, 05:48:19 AM »
I'm with Gumpy, I hate snakes. We had a very large rattler over by our laundry facilities, and it was pretty good size. I just hate em period!

We have a rattlesnake roundup up every year not too far from us. They gather them up and cook em! Yuck!

Now see there is something else they'd be good for! (and I believe that one in Jack's pic is a Diamond back rattler!)
;D  BK  ;D
Busted Knuckle aka Bryce Gaston
KY Lakeside Travel's Busted Knuckle Garage
Huntingdon, TN 12 minutes N of I-40 @ exit 108
www.kylakesidetravel.net

;D Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! ;D (at least thats what momma always told me! ;D)

Offline Busted Knuckle

« Reply #17 on: August 19, 2010, 05:50:13 AM »
Snakes are part of my religion, the good lord put everything on the earth for a reason, he put snakes here to give me something to kill and to keep me from killing son in laws.

Oh Cody I had to re-read this one at first I just scammed over it and thought you said snakes made good son in laws! ;)
;D  BK  ;D
www.kylakesidetravel.net

;D Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! ;D (at least thats what momma always told me! ;D)

Offline gumpy

• Some Assembly Required
  • Slightly modified 1982 MC9
    • bus.gumpydog.com
« Reply #18 on: August 19, 2010, 05:51:51 AM »
Well, I've been wanting to try rattlesnake meat for some time.

I grew up in Wyoming, so rattlesnakes are not uncommon. I nearly stepped on one as I was going into the station one day after pumping gas for a customer. I think he was coming in for a cold drink.
My mother said they've had two at the station this summer, and several within the town, which is highly unusual. We didn't see any while out there.

They've told us since we moved to Minnesota that they don't come up this far (supposedly have some in the southern part of the state).  However, a month ago a pastor from Teri's church was out golfing and there was a snake on the green. He asked his partner if he knew what kind of snake it was. His partner said, "Listen to it. What kind do you think it is?"  :D

Craig Shepard
Located in Minnesquito

http://bus.gumpydog.com - "Some Assembly Required"

cody

« Reply #19 on: August 19, 2010, 05:59:59 AM »
In this area we are supposed to have the massaugua rattler (timber rattler), I've never seen one but my grandfather said he killed one back during the depression and he had a small set of rattles in a tobacco tin, they don't get very big, only about 3 ft at the biggest unless they are directionally compromised by a good set of car tires lol.  Jack has a few of the huge Eastern Diamond back rattlers in his area, now thats a major snake along with other fun species, Jack told us about a horse with a major crater in it;s flank after being nailed by one of the big ones, any snake that looks at a horse as lunch is way too much snake for me. lol

Offline Mex-Busnut

« Reply #20 on: August 19, 2010, 06:33:42 AM »
The biggest snake I ever saw was when we were doing ministry in Nicaragua. We were driving back to Managua around midnight, after a crusade. I was at the helm of a Toyota 4X4, pulling a utility trailer with about a 1,000 pounds of medicine. I crossed what I thought was a huge fire hose stretched all the way across the highway. The people in the two vehicles behind ours said it was a boa! I wonder if he cold have cleaned up Washington!
Dr. Steve, San Juan del Río, Querétaro, Mexico, North America, Planet Earth, Milky Way.
1981 Dina Olímpico (Flxible Flxliner clone), 6V92TA Detroit Diesel
Rockwell model RM135A 9-speed manual tranny.
Jake brakes
100 miles North West of Mexico City, Mexico. 6,800 feet altitude.

cody

« Reply #21 on: August 19, 2010, 08:03:44 AM »
Problem with that idea is we have rules against cruel treatment of snakes, otherwise it's a great idea lol.  After the pythons in florida get their full growth, they'll be a major snake too.  Biggest snake we have up here is the pine snake, they get up to 6ft or so but we never see them, just garter snakes now and then, I think the mosquitos eat them.

Offline JackConrad

• Orange Blossom Special II
  • 73' MC-8 8V71/HT740 Southwest Florida
« Reply #22 on: August 19, 2010, 09:00:48 AM »
Now see there is something else they'd be good for! (and I believe that one in Jack's pic is a Diamond back rattler!)
;D  BK  ;D

Yes, it was an Eastern Diamondback. Over the last 15 years, we have kiled about 7 or 8 of them at our place. If they are out in the woods or palmettos, I leave them alone, but they are not tolerated around our buildings, family, and pets.
   A fellow busnuts had a python or boa about 8-9 foot get in the engine compartment of his Grand Cherokee down in the Everglades when he stopped because of the "large limb" laying on the road last winter. They think the snake was attracted to the warmth of the engine compartment.  Took Park Rangers, Animal Control, and Sheriffs Deputies several hours to get it out. They found out a taser only make the snake urinate.  Most South Florida LEOs are being taught how to capture boas and pythons. Jack
Growing Older Is Mandatory, Growing Up Is Optional
Arcadia, Florida, When we are home
http://s682.photobucket.com/albums/vv186/OBS-JC/

Offline Lin

• 1965 MC-5a
« Reply #23 on: August 19, 2010, 10:25:03 AM »
Here the snake to aware of is the Mojave Rattlesnake.  About a month back, we had a roadrunner hanging out on the property.  I liked that because they eat snakes.  Last week though, a 4 foot rattlesnake started shaking at me from about 20 feet away.  Even though I did appreciate his adequate warning, I started calling the roadrunner.  Needless to say, it did not show up.  Same old story--where are the roadrunners when you need them?
You don't have to believe everything you think.

Offline steve wardwell

• 73 MCI 7 8/71T combo just happy to be here
« Reply #24 on: August 19, 2010, 10:26:00 AM »
I think  that if I was tasered I would be glad if I only urinated. lol
Sometimes the more I think about something the less I think about something.    As soon as I save a little money my bus finds out.                                      Why grab a plane when you can take the bus ?                         If I'm wrong 10% of the time how can the "Queen" be right 100%

Offline happycamperbrat

« Reply #25 on: August 19, 2010, 11:04:16 AM »
Like Lin the scariest snake here is the Mojave Green Rattlesnake, though we also have King snakes (the good ones that eat other snakes), diamond backs and probably some others too. The Mojave greens are reported by many to be extremely aggressive and the poison is extremely lethal and quick acting. My dogs were vaccinated against snake bites, but there is no vaccination for the Mojave greens. I have read that snakes can only strike half of their body length, so a 6 foot snake can only strike 3 feet away from where it is coiled. I also have read that snakes cannot climb smooth surfaces. I am wanting to do a snake proof fence which would be buried 1 foot underground (so other rodents could not burrow thru and create holes the snakes would crawl through) and have the sides of the fence at least 3 feet high and maybe made of corrugated metal put in so that the runners are vertical. The snakes around here are supposed to go into hibernation in Sept. but my brothers went shooting out in the desert one year on Cmas day with new guns and they found a nest of Mojave greens that were very active....
The Little GTO is a 102" wide and 40' long 1983 GMC RTS II and my name is Teresa in case I forgot to sign my post

Offline gumpy

• Some Assembly Required
  • Slightly modified 1982 MC9
    • bus.gumpydog.com
« Reply #26 on: August 21, 2010, 07:33:17 PM »
Well, I just got his photo from a friend. Thought you'd like to see this...

I don't know the guy, but the story is he was looking for hogs in GA with a shotgun and heard a snake rattle. Turned and fired, and this is what he got!
Craig Shepard
Located in Minnesquito

http://bus.gumpydog.com - "Some Assembly Required"

Offline Busted Knuckle

« Reply #27 on: August 21, 2010, 08:03:19 PM »
Craig,
I ain't to sure about the way he dresses for hunt'n hogs or snakes but I will say looks like he has a nice couple pairs of boots or maybe even a jacket right there! ;D  BK  ;D
www.kylakesidetravel.net

Offline bergdoll

« Reply #28 on: May 07, 2011, 07:24:15 AM »
my dog, a Dogo Argentino got bit by a small rattlesnake out in Acton, California. she then bit it into 3 pieces & we never did find the head... her head got pretty swollen up, but we were too far from any vet, so we washed the wound(s) with soap & water & peroxide, kept her quiet & she is still with us today! a neighbor saw the leftovers of the snake & said that he had a horse that got killed by a rattler!
1982 Prevost Champion/Marathon under construction...

Offline Cary and Don

« Reply #29 on: May 07, 2011, 07:39:56 AM »
I'll be that bus didn't have any mice.

Don and Cary
1973 Eagle 05
GMC 4107
Neoplan AN340
1973 05 Eagle
Neoplan AN340

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal