Author Topic: recaps opinion  (Read 13075 times)

Offline sweeney153

• Sweeney 153
recaps opinion
« on: August 23, 2010, 04:04:31 PM »
I need tires and am thinking of ways to save $$.
What are the opinions on recaps. Are they worth taking a chance on for drive tires?

Thanks

Kevin
Sweeney153
Warwick NY
1964 4106-2703 8V71 Spicer 4 speed

Offline Busted Knuckle

• 6 Setras, 2 MCIs, and 1 Dina. Just buses ;D
    • KY Lakeside Travel ... Just 4 the Fun of it!
Re: recaps opinion
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2010, 04:07:01 PM »
Kevin this is a loaded question.
Some think so, some don't. Put me in the don't list, but keep in mind my buses are used different than yours!
;D  BK  ;D
Busted Knuckle aka Bryce Gaston
KY Lakeside Travel's Busted Knuckle Garage
Huntingdon, TN 12 minutes N of I-40 @ exit 108
www.kylakesidetravel.net

;D Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! ;D (at least thats what momma always told me! ;D)

Offline sweeney153

• Sweeney 153
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2010, 04:09:16 PM »
Put me in the don't list

BK 

Why
Warwick NY
1964 4106-2703 8V71 Spicer 4 speed

Offline happycamperbrat

« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2010, 04:10:38 PM »
Im scared of retreads on a bus! However, awhile back I found this interesting article and might would consider them for drives:

The obvious question is “what should
someone look for in a retreading company in
order to get the highest quality retreads?”
Based on our research, we would recommend
that you select a company using the
Marangoni Ringtreads. If possible, that
retreading company should also have laser
shearography, an extruder instead of rolls of
cushion gum, inner and outer envelopes,
steam autoclaves for curing, and pressure testing
of retreaded tires. These state-of-the-art
improvements could mean that your retreads
will hold up better than your new tires. http://www.busmag.com/PDF/Retreads.pdf
The Little GTO is a 102" wide and 40' long 1983 GMC RTS II and my name is Teresa in case I forgot to sign my post

Offline Busted Knuckle

« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2010, 04:20:48 PM »
1st off we HAUL PASSENGERS!
Down time is something I can not and will not tolerate under any circumstances!

Second our buses sometimes run 700-1200 miles one-way with very few and short stops @ 70-75 mph.

I just never have liked CAPS, they maybe OK for some but not me!

If we blow a tire with a group of people on not only do we have to deal with getting it changed, the damage it can and does to a bus, but we have to deal with 25-56 PO'd passengers too!
Just not our way!

Now on a coach that sees more sitting time than road time, and limited high speed travel and limited distances it maybe OK. But keep in mind a cap will have a slightly harsher ride than the original casing did because the "treads" are made out of a harder compound.

(some charter companies are reporting good success in using CAPS on the tags only because of the "harder tread" compound lasting longer due to being able to resist scuffing" better!)
But also keep in mind if you have caps on the tag and blow a steer tire you can't chain a tag up and move the tire to the steer because it's a "CAP"
Just my honest opinion which along with $3 will buy you a cup of coffee!
;D  BK  ;D
www.kylakesidetravel.net

;D Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! ;D (at least thats what momma always told me! ;D)

Offline TomC

« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2010, 04:22:50 PM »
Why should you be afraid of recaps?  The big rubber tire pieces on the road you see-it has been proven that half are from new tires, and half from recap tires. I've had brand new tires fail in the first 150 miles, and have had recaps go 150,000 miles on my trailer.  On the drivers and tags, I wouldn't think twice about running caps.  The number cause of failure-low tire pressure.  So install a PressurePro to monitor all your tires-I have it and it works great!  Good Luck, TomC
Tom & Donna Christman. 1985 Kenworth 40ft Super C with garage. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.

Offline happycamperbrat

« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2010, 04:27:42 PM »
I was driving a corvette at about 80 mph and had retreads on the back. One cut loose and it sounded like my drivers side was being shot with a machine gun! The tire tore up my vette all the way from the front of the driver's door to the rear of the car. Not to mention, I was coming down a hill at the same time and had to maintain control of the car and it was SCARRY as *&%$
The Little GTO is a 102" wide and 40' long 1983 GMC RTS II and my name is Teresa in case I forgot to sign my post

Offline Busted Knuckle

« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2010, 04:31:02 PM »
I was driving a corvette at about 80 mph and had retreads on the back. One cut loose and it sounded like my drivers side was being shot with a machine gun! The tire tore up my vette all the way from the front of the driver's door to the rear of the car. Not to mention, I was coming down a hill at the same time and had to maintain control of the car and it was SCARRY as *&%$

Well 1st off I'd NEVER put caps on a vette, but then again I know how I drive! ;)
;D  BK  ;D
www.kylakesidetravel.net

Offline happycamperbrat

« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2010, 04:35:32 PM »
That was my first and only experience with recaps. But to answer Tom's question, that is the reason why. Ha!! Makin it down that hill under the conditions should qualify me for some sortofa driver's brownie point  ;)

Offline Busted Knuckle

« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2010, 04:38:52 PM »
That was my first and only experience with recaps. But to answer Tom's question, that is the reason why. Ha!! Makin it down that hill under the conditions should qualify me for some sortofa driver's brownie point  ;)

I'm sure there were some brownie "points" 'er I mean "stains" involved! ;)
;D  BK  ;D
www.kylakesidetravel.net

Offline Dreamscape

• Dreamscape
  • Global Moderator
  • 1968 Silver Eagle Model 01 8V92T Allison 740 #7443
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2010, 04:52:36 PM »
I'll jump in here as we just bought new 6 new. I had recaps on the tag and never had a problem in the 7 years we've had the coach. But we also don't drive a lot of miles. I chose new because I only want to do it once, they'll probably rot before we need to change them and by that time I'll be 71 or so.

I think it all depends on how much you drive your coach. If it sits most of the time you might be OK.

I know about trying to get the best deal, we shopped for a long time before I would let loose of the cash. We think we got a pretty good deal at just over $400 each for Firestone FS560 24.5. That was total out the door cost. The feeling of having new is a good one. 8)

If the price difference is not much, I would go with new. If you think of the cost of mounting, any down time if one fails and then you would have an oddball on the drives.

It a tough decision sometimes, just weigh the options and open your wallet! ;)

Our coach was originally owned by the Dixie Echoes.

Offline RJ

• Vantaré Conversion "Miss Vivian"
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2010, 04:54:54 PM »
Kevin -

OTOH, if recaps can survive this, they should hold up ok on an RV:

Best burnout ever! Bandag Bullet

FWIW & HTH. . .

;)
1992 Prevost XL Vantaré Conversion M1001907 8V92T/HT-755 (DDEC/ATEC)
2003 VW Jetta TDI Sportwagon "Towed"
Cheney WA (when home)

Offline Busted Knuckle

« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2010, 05:04:28 PM »
Yes RJ he does abuse those caps! But those are not the same caps they sell for HWY use! And he probably changes them after about 3-4 shows! (after all look who his sponsor is!)
;D  BK  ;D

And that's only a "6.7" liter Cummins according to what it say's below the video while it's showing! (just think how bad a DD 8V71 or 8V92 would abuse them! ;) )
www.kylakesidetravel.net

Offline RJ

• Vantaré Conversion "Miss Vivian"
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2010, 05:08:01 PM »
BK -

I've seen the Bullet, or one of the duplicates.

Two double-turbocharged (4!) 8V92TAs power them. . .

Point I'm making is that Bandag, especially, provides a good quality recap that should work fine in RV service on the drivers/tags.

FWIW & HTH. . .

;)
1992 Prevost XL Vantaré Conversion M1001907 8V92T/HT-755 (DDEC/ATEC)
2003 VW Jetta TDI Sportwagon "Towed"
Cheney WA (when home)

Offline busnut104

« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2010, 05:23:54 PM »
I have owned truck for over 40 years, I have run more recaps on the drives then new tires. I have never had a cap come off or give me trouble. Now this is since they developed the cold cap. The old hot cap was another story. Last week I just installed four new caps and I have four more being caped now. How ever I put all new tires on the bus, don't know why but that is what I did. Each is own.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal