Author Topic: recaps opinion  (Read 13084 times)

Offline Sam 4106

Re: recaps opinion
« Reply #30 on: August 24, 2010, 11:09:17 AM »
The company I bought my recaps from gave the Midwest Bus Nuts group a tour of their recapping plant a few years ago while the employees were working. As we came to each station in the inspection and capping process the person at that station stopped working and explained their step in the process and answered any questions. I , at least, got a very good understanding of the process. After seeing the complex procedure that the tires go through I felt that any fault had been caught and repaired or that casing was rejected. I don't think they will recap a tire that is very old but I don't know what the age limit is. Remember that you can also get new tires that have been laying in a warehouse too long, especially if your size tires are low in demand. We all do the things that we are comfortable with. I am probably willing to accept a higher degree of risk than some others. The original poster asked for opinions and I'm glad that so many have offered theirs.
Good luck, Sam MC8
1976 MCI-8TA with 8V92 DDEC II and Allison HT740

Offline Mex-Busnut

« Reply #31 on: August 24, 2010, 11:37:42 AM »
In the past, on my truck, I had very good service from Bandag recaps, as RJ said.  They ARE a little harder ride than some others.

I also had to replace on another truck, five BRAND NEW Firestones (bought as a set) which blew out at highway speeds during the first year on the road. Yes, I was meticulous about air pressure and keeping them balanced and rotated. I dragged the blown Firestone carcases all the way from central Mexico up to Texas where I had bought them for exchange or refund. The dealer blamed me, and wouldn't settle.  A few months later Firestone had a whole bunch of lawsuits.  I have steered clear of Firestones ever since. I use Michelin or Goodyear.

Dr. Steve, San Juan del Río, Querétaro, Mexico, North America, Planet Earth, Milky Way.
1981 Dina Olímpico (Flxible Flxliner clone), 6V92TA Detroit Diesel
Rockwell model RM135A 9-speed manual tranny.
Jake brakes
100 miles North West of Mexico City, Mexico. 6,800 feet altitude.

Offline kyle4501

• NEWELL in South Carolina
« Reply #32 on: August 24, 2010, 12:13:01 PM »
. . . . Remember that you can also get new tires that have been laying in a warehouse too long,. . . .

Exactly the point I was trying to make - available casing life is more important to me than if it is new or recapped.
Life is all about finding people who are your kind of crazy

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please (Mark Twain)

Education costs money.  But then so does ignorance. (Sir Claus Moser)

Offline Ed Hackenbruch

« Reply #33 on: August 24, 2010, 12:47:34 PM »
One thing that i noticed here is that nobody that bought recaps said they put them on the steers. Why is that? 
Used to own a 1968 MCI 5A and a 1977 5C.

Offline happycamperbrat

« Reply #34 on: August 24, 2010, 12:50:05 PM »
I may be mistaken Ed, but I believe it is illegal to run recaps on steers.
The Little GTO is a 102" wide and 40' long 1983 GMC RTS II and my name is Teresa in case I forgot to sign my post

Offline TomC

« Reply #35 on: August 24, 2010, 02:17:25 PM »
You can run recaps on the steers if it is for regional use only (limited freeway use).  I know UPS brown delivery vans use recaps on the steers that I've seen in L.A. But for over the road and continuous high speed use, no they are not legal.  Good Luck, TomC
Tom & Donna Christman. 1985 Kenworth 40ft Super C with garage. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.

Offline Busted Knuckle

• 6 Setras, 2 MCIs, and 1 Dina. Just buses ;D
    • KY Lakeside Travel ... Just 4 the Fun of it!
« Reply #36 on: August 24, 2010, 02:41:18 PM »
You can run recaps on the steers if it is for regional use only (limited freeway use).  I know UPS brown delivery vans use recaps on the steers that I've seen in L.A. But for over the road and continuous high speed use, no they are not legal.  Good Luck, TomC

Tom thank you for that insight!
I know they aren't legal at all on the steer axle of a bus! I had no clue about trucks, RV's cars etc!
;D  BK  ;D
Busted Knuckle aka Bryce Gaston
KY Lakeside Travel's Busted Knuckle Garage
Huntingdon, TN 12 minutes N of I-40 @ exit 108
www.kylakesidetravel.net

;D Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! ;D (at least thats what momma always told me! ;D)

Offline robertglines1

• steam nut
« Reply #37 on: August 24, 2010, 03:03:54 PM »
I have two friends that are in the recap business..Phil Raben and Reis tires...in the midwest..my area..they put me in recaps for drivers..and for now they were rite..the two new tires I had fail were less than 3 yrs old with 90% tread.with monitored air /temp monitoring with alarm..Reis said they don"t do over 5 yr old casings and inspect all very close..actually rejected a 3yr old casing I provided..so I run recaps on drivers.and would run on tags if needed..I do run new tires under 5yrs old on steers..then to tags they go...11,100 total weight on front axle.315 80 r 22.5 tires..90 lbs air per manufacturer..do I trust new tires???good question!will not be Goodyear..both that failed were..My experience only....and my formed opinion    Bob
Bob@Judy  98 XLE prevost with 3 slides --Home done---last one! SW INdiana

Offline Dave5Cs

• BCM Subscriber
« Reply #38 on: August 24, 2010, 04:04:51 PM »
Ok wise ones can you put on regular tires on the inside that are new because I have them but not installed yet and caps on the outside in the rear? or not good idea?

Dave
"Perfect Frequency"1979 MCI MC5Cs 6V-71,644MT Allison.
2001 Jeep Cherokee Sport 60th Anniversary edition.
1998 Jeep TJ ,(Gone)
 Somewhere in the USA fulltiming.

Offline busnut104

« Reply #39 on: August 24, 2010, 05:03:04 PM »
If it where me I would run the caps with caps. and if you chose to mix make sure the height is the same.

Offline DMoedave

« Reply #40 on: August 24, 2010, 05:12:40 PM »
In NY you cannot run recaps at steering axle on commercial buses. Thats all that is prohibited. Most people wont ever on the steers. Have you got any prices on the retreads Kevin?
we love our buses!!! NE Pa or LI NY, or somewhere in between!

Offline sweeney153

• Sweeney 153
« Reply #41 on: August 24, 2010, 06:16:36 PM »
i have a line on 4 for $250.00 from a friend.
Warwick NY
1964 4106-2703 8V71 Spicer 4 speed

Offline Ed Hackenbruch

« Reply #42 on: August 24, 2010, 07:48:51 PM »
Thought maybe that it wasn't legal to run them on steers but wasn't sure about that.  So what does that tell you about recaps???...... I have never run recaps on anything i have owned, and I never will.   :)

Offline kyle4501

• NEWELL in South Carolina
« Reply #43 on: August 24, 2010, 08:17:23 PM »
Thought maybe that it wasn't legal to run them on steers but wasn't sure about that.  So what does that tell you about recaps???......

Nothing, since some laws are based on lobbyist influence instead of facts. Just imagine the money manufacturers spend to sell more of their product?

If recaps were so bad, you'd see more trouble out of 'em. As it is, a quality recap is as good as a new tire (as long as the age isn't an issue).

Most of the recap failures were from the old days & most of the negative stories date way back . . . . My grandad had lots of horror stories about caps coming off. . . .

I'd still say for our use, the unit cost of the tire is price divided by useable time left, not miles. . . .
Life is all about finding people who are your kind of crazy

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please (Mark Twain)

Education costs money.  But then so does ignorance. (Sir Claus Moser)

Offline Ed Hackenbruch

« Reply #44 on: August 24, 2010, 08:23:40 PM »
And tires are one place i am not going to scrimp on. ;D

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal