Author Topic: Finding a paint color - Air Force One Light Blue  (Read 17953 times)

Offline Runcutter

• Runcutter.com
Finding a paint color - Air Force One Light Blue
« on: August 24, 2010, 06:14:23 PM »
It looks like I can finally commit to getting the 4107 painted (a job for a new client will fund most of the projected cost).  First, soda blasting, then body work to deal with any rust areas, finally paint.

My plan is to go with light blue, single color, but then add dark blue reflective tape (scotchlite equivalent).  I've been trying to find a paint number reference, as a starting point, for the light blue on Air Force One.  I've done several internet searches, but no luck.  I don't know the brand paint that the painter will use, but I suspect anyone could match a DuPont color.  Photos don't match the color, lighting, printing, etc. generate a wide range of appearances.  I've tried to attach a picture, it's the light blue on the engine nacelles and underside of the fuselage.

Any suggestions on how to find a paint match?

Thanks.

Arthur

Arthur Gaudet    Carrollton (Dallas area) Texas 
Former owner of a 1968 PD-4107

Working in the bus industry provides us a great opportunity - to be of service to others

Offline Dreamscape

• Dreamscape
  • Global Moderator
  • 1968 Silver Eagle Model 01 8V92T Allison 740 #7443
Re: Finding a paint color - Air Force One Light Blue
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2010, 07:25:11 PM »
Arthur, The color is close to RGB 40, 150, 220. See if they can come up with the equivalent. Or just take them a photo, they will be able to match it with their spectrometer.

Paul

Our coach was originally owned by the Dixie Echoes.

Offline stevet903

« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2010, 07:43:02 PM »
I don't know the exact answer, but the paint is sure to be a Federal Specification color.  Here's a link to a site that explains it and has a color palette.  There is a forum as well - maybe someone there has the answer.

http://www.colorserver.net/history/history-specification-tt-c-595-1950.htm

Steve

Offline Sean

• Geek.
  • '85 Neoplan Spaceliner "Odyssey"
    • Our Odyssey
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2010, 08:07:02 PM »
First off, "Air Force One" is not a specific plane but a call sign assigned to any plane carrying POTUS.  That included a scheduled United Airlines flight when Nixon (as POTUS) was on it.

You will have better luck looking for color schemes for the Boeing VC-25A, which is the Air Force aircraft that I assume you are trying to emulate.  AFAIK, the paint colors are the same as the original VC-137 (similar to the civilian 707) for which Raymond Loewy designed the livery at the request of President Kennedy.  It is possible Loewy's office can give you the Pantones.

I don't think anyone at Boeing will give you the BAC codes.  But my understanding is you can find the chips reproduced in Dana Bell's "USAF Colors & Markings of the 1990s", a book now out of print.

The lower color is a pretty generic "powder blue," as opposed to the dark blue above which is the official US color (and easy to find).

Don't forget to polish the lower unpainted sections to a fine mirror finish :)

BTW, I don't think you will find it in TT-C-595, linked earlier.  It's not ready-mixed; Boeing paints the aircraft and they are delivered in livery.

-Sean
http://OurOdyssey.BlogSpot.com
Full-timing in a 1985 Neoplan Spaceliner since 2004.
Our blog: http://OurOdyssey.BlogSpot.com

Offline luvrbus

« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2010, 08:12:06 PM »
Arthur, it is called Federal Blue on the Eagles Buses the Air Force owned that was the spec from GSA, Eagle used Imron one step not much difference in color between that and the old Greyhound blue on the Eagles

good luck
Life is short drink the good wine first

Offline Sean

• Geek.
  • '85 Neoplan Spaceliner "Odyssey"
    • Our Odyssey
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2010, 08:19:45 PM »
... The color is close to RGB 40, 150, 220. ...

Paul, I think that's the top (darker) blue color.  He wants the bottom, powder blue color, which is much closer to 136 221 224 in RGB.

Arthur, it is called Federal Blue on the Eagles Buses the Air Force owned that was the spec from GSA, ...

Again, Clifford, I think that's the top color.  He wants the bottom color, like on the engine nacelles.  Much, much lighter.

-Sean
http://OurOdyssey.BlogSpot.com
Full-timing in a 1985 Neoplan Spaceliner since 2004.
Our blog: http://OurOdyssey.BlogSpot.com

Offline luvrbus

« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2010, 08:29:17 PM »
Arthur, call Mike Wlison @ 541 915-3866 I saw him and his bother painting a plane with those colors

good luck
Life is short drink the good wine first

Offline Dreamscape

• Dreamscape
  • Global Moderator
  • 1968 Silver Eagle Model 01 8V92T Allison 740 #7443
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2010, 09:04:35 PM »
Sean, You are correct. I didn't see it until I blew it up!

Mike can probably match anything you want to do, that guy has talent.

Paul

Our coach was originally owned by the Dixie Echoes.

cody

« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2010, 07:37:54 AM »
I guess taking a set of tin snips to the area you want to duplicate and then taking the small piece of metal to Lowes to be color matched would be out of the question lol.  ;D ;D ;D

Offline BG6

« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2010, 08:52:12 AM »
Okay, first off, the blue that you see is NOT the blue that they painted it.

The color you see on the bottom of AF29000 is a combination of the paint color and the light reflected from the ground. 

If you check with hobby shops, you may find a book with the paint scheme and color specs.  The underside color is given as "somewhere between sky and robin egg blue" by the guy who designed the scheme.

I would suggest a trip to a paint store.

Offline FloridaCliff

• "The Mighty GMC"
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2010, 09:19:04 AM »
First off, "Air Force One" is not a specific plane but a call sign assigned to any plane carrying POTUS.  That included a scheduled United Airlines flight when Nixon (as POTUS) was on it.

Actually, when on United's aircraft or any other private aircraft, it is "Executive One".

For grins I called the 89th Air Readiness Wing (they maintain the Presidential fleet) and am awaiting a return call (maybe) on the paint numbers.

Cliff
1975 GMC  P8M4905A-1160    North Central Florida

"There are basically two types of people. People who accomplish things, and people who claim to have accomplished things. The first group is less crowded."
Mark Twain

Offline JackConrad

• Orange Blossom Special II
  • 73' MC-8 8V71/HT740 Southwest Florida
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2010, 10:40:37 AM »
Since your coach will probably never be parked close to AF1, any light blue that you picked from a color palette that you liked would probably work.  Jack
Growing Older Is Mandatory, Growing Up Is Optional
Arcadia, Florida, When we are home
http://s682.photobucket.com/albums/vv186/OBS-JC/

Offline FloridaCliff

• "The Mighty GMC"
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2010, 10:55:39 AM »
Got me thinking.....remember this coach?

"There are basically two types of people. People who accomplish things, and people who claim to have accomplished things. The first group is less crowded."
Mark Twain

Offline FloridaCliff

• "The Mighty GMC"
« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2010, 10:57:30 AM »
Another angle.

Mark Twain

Offline Runcutter

• Runcutter.com
« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2010, 07:06:42 AM »
Thanks for the direction on the paint color.  Being male, I do red, blue, yellow, green - not chartreuse, mauve, and aqua.  I needed something to bring to the paint store to match, or the ability to give them a paint number to cross-reference and get as close as possible.  I like the color on the aircraft commonly known as Air Force One (boy, didn't expect to have to go through that issue - I suspect a thread that asked for the paint chip of a VC-137 or VC-25 wouldn't have received many responses.) 

I know from experience that looking at paint chips at the store doesn't translate to the larger canvas.  We're painting the house, the first color looked good at the paint store, but when I did a large panel it was too dark.  We had to modify, and ended up using the darker for the trim, and going a couple of shades lighter for the field.

If I could, I'd also do something with the white and dark blue, with a large American flag on the fiberglas that replaced the rear window -- but a single color is much more reasonably priced.  I have some reflective tape samples, and my plan is to add a darker blue -- looks like about Royal Blue.  If that's not conspicuous enough, I may add gold reflective tape.  I want the coach to say "please don't hit me again." 

Arthur
Arthur Gaudet    Carrollton (Dallas area) Texas 
Former owner of a 1968 PD-4107

Working in the bus industry provides us a great opportunity - to be of service to others

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal