Author Topic: Hot Rod 2 stroke Detroit  (Read 16488 times)

Offline phil4501

Hot Rod 2 stroke Detroit
« on: August 24, 2006, 08:36:48 AM »
I'm not selling my bus and I'm not going to repower with $eries 60 or any other 4-stroke.

I'm not trying to be practical, thrifty or build an engine that lasts 850,000 miles. If you think this is stupid, start your own post and talk about what an idiot I am, not here...

Please post what you have experience with or what you are planning on doing.

Offline TomC

Re: Hot Rod 2 stroke Detroit
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2006, 08:44:12 AM »
Talk to Don Fairchild in Bakersfield on what he has done with his 8V-71TA to get something like 500hp from it reliably.  His business is called CCT or Clean Cam Technology.  I can give you his phone number if you'd like.
I am taking my bus in a couple of weeks up to have a soft turbo (only 7-9psi compared to around 28psi boost) mainly to eliminate smoke at altitude and to have a bit more power-increase the injectors from N65 to 7G70-or 300hp to 345hp- 800lb/ft torque to 1,050lb/ft torque.  You can get 100hp a cylinder out of a 71 series-it just boils down to how well you can cool it.  Good Luck, TomC
Tom & Donna Christman. 1985 Kenworth 40ft Super C with garage. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.

Offline Bosshosssport96

« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2006, 09:13:47 AM »
Tom,you mention that Don Fairchild  is able to get 500 horsepower out of his 8V71TA,what kind of cooling system does he have, is his coach a GMC?? Has he ever mention as to what he is able to get out of a 8V92??......Frank

Offline TomC

« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2006, 04:58:15 PM »
Don has an Eagle (although not converted yet).  He has said he prefers 71 series as you can't really get more out of the 92 because of its' short comings.  If you'd like to talk to Don direct his number is 661-391-4520. Good Luck, TomC
Tom & Donna Christman. 1985 Kenworth 40ft Super C with garage. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.

Offline Happycampersrus

« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2006, 06:28:33 PM »
Phil,

A 71 series engine is alot better engine to try and "Hot Rod". The 71 is a dry sleeve versus the 92's that have a weak link in the O rings that seal the liners to the block. The O rings can't take running on the bubble of 200 to 210 degrees. The 92's can make some great power, BUT they are easier to overheat.

On a 71 series you can advance the cam timing, use the high compression kits, add the fuel to her (larger injectors), and play with the blower. Then you can add a turbo and really start to make some power. ;D

We have a Ford 9000 with a 8V71T and it will put all the Cummins down easy. I don't know how long she will last, But I have fun laughing at the kids at work that brag on their new computer controlled crap. I am old school and will die believing in the old Detroits.  8)

Dale

Offline phil4501

« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2006, 06:48:57 PM »
Don Fairchild is my going to be my next call, Tom turned me on to him in a similar post about 2 months ago. I am trying to cram some more Detroit info iin my brain so he doesn't have to spoon feed me the common knowledge. He is close to me and I heard his bus is a real screamer.

I know is would be wiser to use a 8v92 for what I want to do, I don't think I can afford 800 horsepower right now. I want to build the 8v71 just cuz. I was thinkin that the 400 hp range would really be pushen the envelope. How much do you think 100 hp per cylinder costs?
aybe if I drove the coach in primer instead of paint and left off all that heavy, expensive conversion stuff...hmmm now you got me thinking.

Offline phil4501

« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2006, 07:10:08 PM »
so...let's here about this 100 horsepower per cylinder. What would be the configuration. Twin Turbo aftercooled, intercooled, double radiiator cooled, high compresseion. super advance timing, diesel chugging fire breathing, 2 stroke double throw down...Ok, Ok, I'll take one.

How come I don't have one now? There is furniture and stuff everywhere I look. Yet my bus is slow. How did this happen to me. The fact that I have a computer and  a television yet my Scenicruiser is probably less than 278 hp is now embarassing.

I have seen the error of my ways and will correct this situation right away. I spent $11.00 on Scenicruiser salt and pepper shakers and still have N60's, I am so ashamed.

Edit: I am more ashamed that I mispelled "Detroit" in the title. How do I Edit the title?

Offline TomC

« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2006, 10:26:58 PM »
Phil- Detroit made an 8V-71TA with 400hp and 1,200lb/ft of torque at the close of the 2 stroke run.  Converting your engine over would involve adding the turbo, installing the big bearing blower (I'm not doing that since my boost is low), lower compression ratio pistons, and (I suggest) using an air to air intercooler.  400hp will be 80 injectors.  You can go with 90's and get 450hp.  Good Luck, TomC

Dallas

« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2006, 01:33:39 AM »
so...let's here about this 100 horsepower per cylinder. What would be the configuration. Twin Turbo aftercooled, intercooled, double radiiator cooled, high compresseion. super advance timing, diesel chugging fire breathing, 2 stroke double throw down...Ok, Ok, I'll take one.

How come I don't have one now? There is furniture and stuff everywhere I look. Yet my bus is slow. How did this happen to me. The fact that I have a computer and  a television yet my Scenicruiser is probably less than 278 hp is now embarassing.

I have seen the error of my ways and will correct this situation right away. I spent $11.00 on Scenicruiser salt and pepper shakers and still have N60's, I am so ashamed.

Edit: I am more ashamed that I mispelled "Detroit" in the title. How do I Edit the title?

Phil, I fixed it for you.
And I fixed a few more. LOL

Offline Jerry Liebler

« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2006, 06:25:40 AM »
Mostly Tom C above has it right.  BUT there is no need to go to low compression pistons.  This is per the mechanic and shop that rebuilt my engine, Hillsboro Diesel, in Hillsboro Or.  They have,during their 35+ years working on 2 strokes, rebuilt hundreds of turbo 8V71s with the high compression pistons.  They started using the high compression pistons  to cure very hard startiing   So what you need is, the turbo and plumbing, a large bearing blower, larger injectors and cooling, cooling and more cooling.  The air to air intercooler is a very good idea for both performance and longevity. 
Regards
Jerry 4107 1120

Offline uncle ned

• Visit: Busconversionstuff.com
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2006, 07:22:49 AM »

Would love to figure out how to put an air to air intercooler on my 04  with 6v92. think it would make it run cooler with cool air going into the intake.

uncle ned
"huggy bear"
4104's forever
6v92 v730
Huggy Bear

Offline RJ

• Vantaré Conversion "Miss Vivian"
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2006, 07:23:51 AM »
Me thinks Phil's been watching too many "Home Improvement" re-runs - sounds like he's got a bad case of

MORE POWER - Argh, Argh, Argh  ;D   ;D   ;D   ;D

Sorry, Phil, couldn't help but tease you a little. . .   ;)
1992 Prevost XL Vantaré Conversion M1001907 8V92T/HT-755 (DDEC/ATEC)
2003 VW Jetta TDI Sportwagon "Towed"
Cheney WA (when home)

Offline TomC

« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2006, 07:39:19 AM »
Uncle Ned- saw exactly what you want on an 04, except he still had the original powerplant.  If you already have the 6V-92TA you have the aftercooler under the blower-but powered by the radiator, so the air will only get down to maybe 220 degrees.  Whereas an air to air will take it down to 150.  The way to do is would be to take out the aftercooler (have to block off the water lines) and convert the right side transmission access door to a swing out intercooler with electric fans.  Good Luck, TomC

Offline mdainsd

« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2006, 07:50:54 AM »
Or with some more tinkering:

No substitue for cubic inches.
"The difference between stupidity and genius, is that genius has it's limits" - Albert Einstein

Offline kyle4501

• NEWELL in South Carolina
« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2006, 09:58:07 AM »
Phil, I have toyed with the idea of flipping the engine to the front (mid engine) & using a truck drivetrain & driving both rear axles.
I would re-configure the rear for storage & the what ever's needed for properly pullin a big heavy trailer. I'd have some storage beside the transmission.

Oh, and my fantasy engine is the 12V71 (the 16V71 would be a bit much  ::) ). Fuel prices won't matter cause it ain't likely I'll have time for this project since I keep dragging more 4501's home  ;D.

Marine applications get tons of power out of 8V71's, BUT they are able to dump the excess heat in that huge radiator they are floating in. So make sure you can get enough radiator in for the power you want.
Life is all about finding people who are your kind of crazy

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please (Mark Twain)

Education costs money.  But then so does ignorance. (Sir Claus Moser)

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal