Author Topic: I need help  (Read 9298 times)

Offline rip

I need help
« on: September 07, 2010, 09:04:54 AM »
I am westbound on 90 north of Alexandria,Mn when my 8v92 started to run hot.I checked my coolant level and it was low.I putnin 5 gallons and it was still ow.I didn't see any leaks so I check my oil dip stick and I found where all my coolant went.I bet I have 4-6 gallons of water in my oil.Now what can I drive it any distance or do I need a tow.Any suggestions to where I couls have it towed to.

Offline Jriddle

Re: I need help
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2010, 09:13:23 AM »
You should get a tow. Antifreeze in the oil will and probably have ruined your bearings. You don't want to run it till it seizes up. The cost of repair will go way up if that happens.

John
John Riddle
Townsend MT
1984 MC9

HighTechRedneck

« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2010, 09:27:40 AM »
I agree with John, no more driving it till repaired. 

To help clarify your location for folks that might be able to recommend a shop to tow it to, Do you mean  I-94 north of Alexandria, MN?  I-90 runs along the southern edge of Minnisota.

The help assist list has several great bus nuts in the Minneapolis area that may know of some shops along I-94.  http://www.cruiser-magazine.com/page3a.html#Minnesota

Offline rip

« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2010, 10:03:27 AM »
Sorry,I am on I-94 and I have a tow truck in route. I talked to C.J.'s in Mpls.and he recommended Stussey's diesel in Alexeranda.I hope tey are good.
   Don

Offline RickB

• 81 MCI 9 smooth side 8V71 Allison 754
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2010, 10:38:07 AM »
Hey Don,

Wow that's heart breaking... If you can get it down here there is a really reasonable shop here in Mpls where C&J has alot of their stuff R&R'd it's called central diesel in east bethel. But the tow bill might negate the savings. That is right up by our cabin but I have never met a good 2 stroke person up there. Call us if you need help at six one two three eight five seven three nine seven. I sold my 8V92 to curt at central diesel so I know he has a new turbo and blower if the part #'s match up

Keep in touch,

Rick
I will drive my Detroit hard... I will drive my Detroit hard.

Offline RickB

« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2010, 10:43:29 AM »
I'm checking with wifey to see if it would be alright to have you guys stay at our cabin while your motor get's rebuilt. It's about 20-25 minutes from alexandria.

RB

Offline Busted Knuckle

• 6 Setras, 2 MCIs, and 1 Dina. Just buses ;D
    • KY Lakeside Travel ... Just 4 the Fun of it!
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2010, 01:03:18 PM »
If C & J recommended them they are probably AOK! JD and the bunch @ C & J are not going to jeopardize their good reputation by recommending a bad shop!
But on the other hand sometimes it pays to bite the tow bill (or let your road side assistance pay it) and take it to the "known good location"
FWIW
;D  BK  ;D
Busted Knuckle aka Bryce Gaston
KY Lakeside Travel's Busted Knuckle Garage
Huntingdon, TN 12 minutes N of I-40 @ exit 108
www.kylakesidetravel.net

;D Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! ;D (at least thats what momma always told me! ;D)

Offline gumpy

• Some Assembly Required
  • Slightly modified 1982 MC9
    • bus.gumpydog.com
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2010, 02:47:47 PM »
Sorry,I am on I-94 and I have a tow truck in route. I talked to C.J.'s in Mpls.and he recommended Stussey's diesel in Alexeranda.I hope tey are good.
   Don

Don,

I'm about 100 miles away from you, back towards the twin cities.  Call me if you need anything.  7 6 3 - 5-2-8  3.5.7.3.

Craig
Craig Shepard
Located in Minnesquito

http://bus.gumpydog.com - "Some Assembly Required"

Offline uncle ned

• Visit: Busconversionstuff.com
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2010, 04:15:46 PM »

A short story about my first long trip in my first bus. A older converted 4104 that i drug out of the woods and got running.

A group group of us about 10 s&s and myself were on a our way to Daytona bike week. Along about the SC- GA line mine started to run hot and i had to stop and put water in it often. A friend of mine with a new american eagle s&s stayed with me. along about jacksonville he came across the cb and said to slow down he was having trouble.

After a few mile I finally stopped and waited on him. He came along in a big cloud of smoke. We took it to cummings dealer in Jacksonville and left it and on to daytona with his bikes in my trailer.

Caught up with the rest of our group at the west parking lot of the speedway.

The next morning I pulled the dip stick our and out came water. Drained the crankcase all week and refilled it on sunday. Started it up an back to carolina we went. just adding water ever now and then.

New head and bearings later it still runs good. Tough 6/71.

uncle ned

ps it was four months later before the American Eagle made it home
4104's forever
6v92 v730
Huggy Bear

artvonne

« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2010, 07:59:46 PM »
  This is a sad situation, and my heart goes out to you. I would be in serious trouble if something like that happened out on the road far from home, because I simply wouldnt have $10 or $20K to throw at it to get it going. Plus, I would probably want to try fixing it myself if at all possible, mainly because im really cheap. Heck, im looking for a really cheap Bus, a motor would surpass its value. Heres to praying yours is a simple or inexpensive fix and your back on the road soon.

Ned, those inline 71's do sound awfully tough. While no one can ever guarantee against the unexpected, are the 92 series engines more trouble prone than the 71 series? Are the inlines less likely to spin out bearings if the engine springs a leak? I am curious about your problem and how you got it home.

And while we are talking about it, is there any quick fixes or bandaids to get this Bus on the road so he can get it home???

Offline zubzub

• '53 4104. Roadworthy but rough around the edges.
    • pics of my bus etc....
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2010, 01:20:10 AM »
I'm guessing with the higher compression this won't work on a diesel, but it has worked on gassers so I'll throw it out there. 
`Re torque the head, basically follow the loosening/tightening pattern and loosen all the head bolts a half turn, then follow the pattern and torque to spec.,  I'm thinking this works when the wasn't torque properly in the first place, I have had it work for me twice ( 2 different 4 bangers). Probably a big PITA on a 6V 92 stuffed into a bus, but would be easier on a 6-71 inline in a  Vdrive. 

Offline bevans6

• 1980 MCI MC-5C
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2010, 05:18:00 AM »
The simplistic difference between the 71 series engines and the 92 series engines is that the 71 series cylinder liners are fitted dry, they do not touch coolant, while the 92 series are wet with o-rings and seals to keep the coolant where it belongs.  This makes them more susceptible to damage from overheating, where the liners can lose the seal and coolant can get to where it shouldn't be, and also to corrosion from incorrect coolant, which I know little about.  There is a feeling that a 71 series might be able to withstand more abuse than a 92 series could, and limp home.

Brian
1980 MCI MC-5C, 8V-71T from a M-110 self propelled howitzer
Allison MT-647
Tatamagouche, Nova Scotia

Offline luvrbus

« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2010, 06:09:16 AM »
He didn't get that much water in the oil from the liner seals or a cracked head he blew a head gasket or lost a after cooler same thing could happen on a 71 series

good luck
Life is short drink the good wine first

Offline RickB

« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2010, 09:19:41 AM »
My bet is on the after cooler Clifford. When we pulled mine those seals were brittle. Amazing that a $3 part can completely incapacitate a motor and cause 5-15k in damage.

Rick

Offline rip

« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2010, 06:51:24 PM »
Here's an update;After getting it apart today,I found I need a new head.I think they call it a stud guide which is pressed into the head came out.I am heading out tomorrow to Mpls. to pick up a rebuilt.We are going to check with C & J to see if he has a used one along with a few other parts. Everething else looks good so we will see how it goes back together.They thing they will be done by Friday if all goes good.
   Don

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal