Author Topic: Standard to Auto trans conversion  (Read 6989 times)

Offline scanzel

Standard to Auto trans conversion
« on: April 14, 2006, 06:20:50 AM »
I have an 89 Prevost with 6 speed standard, just purchased drove cross country was fun to drive. Standard seems fun to drive most of the time but other times a beast to shift. Has a Spicer trans. Would like to convert to an automatic so wife can learn to drive. Any suggestions on trans type to go to and basic cost and any suggestions on convertor on east coast to do work. Would like to keep cost in $10,000.00 range. Is this possible or am I dreaming. Thank you.
Steve Canzellarini
Myrtle Beach, SC
1989 Prevost XL

Offline TomC

Re: Standard to Auto trans conversion
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2006, 07:39:01 AM »
Go to [email]www.nimcobus.com and pull up auto trans with conversion kit.  Looked there and going to the HT740 is about $4100.  It should be a good fit since (I believe) the spicer trans you have is a direct drive final gear like the Allison.  While the world transmission (like the HT4060, 4000HS, B500) would be nice, the HT740 has been around a long time and is very reliable.  I assume you have a 8V-71N in your Prevost?  Then the two overdrives of the World transmission would be useless since it would just lug the engine (the first four gears are almost identical to the HT740 gearing). Nimce is in Newark, NJ.  Good Luck, TomC
Tom & Donna Christman. 1985 Kenworth 40ft Super C with garage. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.

Offline DrivingMissLazy

« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2006, 08:22:44 AM »
I have an 89 Prevost with 6 speed standard, just purchased drove cross country was fun to drive. Standard seems fun to drive most of the time but other times a beast to shift. Has a Spicer trans. Would like to convert to an automatic so wife can learn to drive. Any suggestions on trans type to go to and basic cost and any suggestions on convertor on east coast to do work. Would like to keep cost in $10,000.00 range. Is this possible or am I dreaming. Thank you.
Why not teach her to drive a stick. I can be done. Really.
Richard
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body. But rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, a good Reisling in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming:  WOO HOO, what a ride

Offline Casper4104

• My site - no bus pics yet.
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2006, 08:53:18 AM »
I'm with Richard on this one, teach her to drive what you've got first - she might like it.

My wife already drives a BMW Z3 stickshift car, has for years and loves it.  She picked up double clutching our 4104 with 4 speed spicer with no problems and she enjoys it.  She's not wild about the size of the beast in town, but holding the wheel banging easy miles down the highway is no problem for her.

Start her out in a stickshift car, let her get the hang of that, and the bus isn't that different (at least not the drivetrain part).  If there's a problem, bring her to Ohio and we'll put her in my diesel Mercedes sedan with 4 speed stick, and I'll have her doing fine in 1 hour, guaranteed.

Some people, especially women I think, have a phobia about "I'm gonna kill the clutch" (no you won't - at least not in 1 afternoon), "I'm gonna stall it" (what if you do?), "Dad-Hubby-Bro will yell at me" (he'd better not).  I've taught dozens of people to drive stick.  Any reasonably intelligent person can do it.

Step 1; draw a simple diagram with a motor, a clutch, a gearbox, and a couple of wheels - then explain just what the clutch is, what it does, and why she has to push the pedal.  That solves half the problem right there.  Without that simple little bit of understanding, the clutch is just some magic pedal that you have to push for some reason.  Then go to a big parking lot and practice - offering calm, patient instruction and encouragement.  Piece of cake.

It's your bus, and if you want to put a "slushpump" in it, that's your business.  I'd really love to see you let her try it first though.  Spend that money on a nice diesel genny instead.

Let us know what you decide, good luck, thanks.

Casper4104
(now where's FF to weigh in on this?).
If a half a hen lays a half an egg in a half a day - how long would it take a monkey with a wooden leg to kick the seeds out of a dill pickle?

Offline Sammy

« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2006, 01:53:03 PM »
Steve, I have a good friend that has his own shop here on Long Island.
He's got over 25 yrs experience with coaches.
We used to work together before he went out on his own.
I'll ask him if he would be interested in doing the conversion.
I'll let you know as soon as I speak with him - holiday weekend,etc.
Sammy  8)

Offline JohnEd

« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2006, 02:25:52 AM »
scanzel,

Have you identified you mpg with the new auto.  I have only heard one guy say he would not have done it if he had known.  On the other hand I have heard a hundred guys say that "everyone" should get an auto.  My other half and I both do stick exclusively and your other poster is right.  It is the size of the thing in town that bothers them.  Good luck with your project

John
"An uneducated vote is a treasonous act more damaging than any treachery of the battlefield.
The price of apathy towards public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." Plato
“We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light.”
—Pla

Offline kingfa39

« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2006, 06:53:18 AM »
i put automatic in my 06 so my wife would drive it, but to date she still has not, i wouldnt cahnge it for that reason. just an opinion
Frank Allen

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal