Author Topic: Inverter problems  (Read 3136 times)

Offline rip

Inverter problems
« on: September 21, 2010, 04:57:26 PM »
After leaving Mn.on my way to Idaho,I started having inverter problems.I have a Trace 4024 and now when I hook it up to a power source,either gen set or shower power the inverter shuts off.It will run 1 to 20 minutes then the power shuts off and the red error light blinks. When I had the inverter wired I had a a switch box wired in so I can switch off the inverter while in a campground so I can at least have power.I am headed towards Portland Or.where I found someone to look at it. The inverter is 7 years old and has not been off much. I don't know if its getting fixed or buying a new one.
     Don

Offline Lin

• 1965 MC-5a
Re: Inverter problems
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2010, 05:36:42 PM »
So are you saying that it works as an inverter supplying 120 from your bat bank when you are not connected but shuts off when you connect to power and it is supposed to go into charging mode?
You don't have to believe everything you think.

Offline Nick Badame Refrig/ACC

• 1989, MCI 102C3, 8V92T, HT740, 06' conversion FMCA# F-27317-S "Wife- 1969 Italian/German Style"
  • Global Moderator
  • Nick & Michelle Badame
    • Nick Badame Refrigeration LLC
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2010, 05:49:54 PM »
Hi Don,

Just a thought but, have you checked for loose nutral or ground connections?

I just had this problem today on a 45' Travel Supreme running duel Freedom 2500's. One would

shut down after 10 mins with errors.. I found a corroded nutral post with very loose connections

in his transfer switch.

Good Luck
Nick-

Whatever it takes!-GITIT DONE! 
Commercial Refrigeration- Ice machines- Heating & Air/ Atlantic Custom Coach Inc.
Master Mason- Cannon Lodge #104
https://www.facebook.com/atlanticcustomcoach
www.atlanticcustomcoach.com

Offline Geoff

• Geoff & Sherry's RTS Conversion Pics
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2010, 06:01:51 PM »
When the red error light comes on you need to push the buttons and get to the "error" readings on your Trace inverter-- it will tell you why the red light came on.
Geoff
'82 RTS AZ

Offline rip

« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2010, 10:01:46 AM »
I  removed the inverter and took it to a shop in Portland for them to say they could not find the problem.I am stumped.I check all my wires and connections and found nothing wrong.I disconnected my remote panel and battery sensor and still the same problem.This shop says they work on more Trace inverters then anyone in the U.S. and they said my inverter looks new inside.
I also looked in my book and could not which buttons to push to show the problem. Any suggestions?
          Don

Offline Geoff

• Geoff & Sherry's RTS Conversion Pics
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2010, 10:53:08 AM »
You said you have a Trace "4024"-- I assumed you have an SW4024, if not, it probably does not have the digital display and menu options to show errors.  If it helps any, the only time the red light comes on and shuts down my Trace SW2512 inverter is when the generator is overloaded and the hertz and voltage drop too far to be "acceptable" to the inverter.
Geoff
'82 RTS AZ

Offline rip

« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2010, 10:59:04 AM »
Yes it is a SW4024 and the error light goes on with very little load on it.I am very puzzled to what is going on. It may be time for a new one.

Offline luvrbus

« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2010, 01:00:27 PM »
You have a short somewhere in electric circuity flip the breakers one at a time and try to locate it,my sw2512 will only flash a red lite for over heating

good luck
Life is short drink the good wine first

Offline Sean

• Geek.
  • '85 Neoplan Spaceliner "Odyssey"
    • Our Odyssey
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2010, 03:02:57 PM »
Yes it is a SW4024 and the error light goes on with very little load on it.I am very puzzled to what is going on. It may be time for a new one.

As suggested earlier, it would help if you told us what the error is.

When the red light goes on, and before doing anything else, go to the control panel and select Menu 5, "Error Causes."  Then scroll down through all the items; most will say "NO" but at least one will say "YES."  tell us which one is "YES."

-Sean
http://OurOdyssey.BlogSpot.com
Full-timing in a 1985 Neoplan Spaceliner since 2004.
Our blog: http://OurOdyssey.BlogSpot.com

Offline rip

« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2010, 07:50:38 PM »
Thank's for all your help.I forgot about the error menu.It came up with high battery voltage.I got my manual out and it stated it should be set at 32 and it was set at 28.I set it at 32 and now it seems to be working fine.Again thanks.What really gets me mad is when I called the so called pros they never suggested about checking the error menu.Not only that when I brought it to the shop the tech. said he checked all the settings and that they were fine. I will be calling them Monday morning.
   Don

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal