Author Topic: How we get a bad reputation!  (Read 10287 times)

Offline Dave5Cs

• BCM Subscriber
Re: How we get a bad reputation!
« Reply #15 on: September 23, 2010, 07:50:31 AM »
Rampeyboy is probably correct. Development always comes first, because it pays big tax dollars and fees to City Councils. And Oh Gee it is an Election year too. Funny how these stories come out so close to November? Yes sanitation is always a problem with people who can't afford to go to the "Camping resorts and time shares".
Wouldn't it be better for all, for them to put port-A- potties out there for them and charge a fee to the people and businesses who need them for their cheap labor, Win Win

These people are humans beings and were born and will die like we all will someday and choose their life style and some don't but just end up there and still need a place to live. Affordable housing really is political and doesn't work so what is the answer?
Maye we could spray them with bug killer and they will just go away???????????????? This kind of thing hs gone on for centuries SOLUTIONS would be better than complaints. Is it always because I pay taxes and they don't gee wake up folks.

Dave
"Perfect Frequency"1979 MCI MC5Cs 6V-71,644MT Allison.
2001 Jeep Cherokee Sport 60th Anniversary edition.
1998 Jeep TJ ,(Gone)
 Somewhere in the USA fulltiming.

Offline happycamperbrat

« Reply #16 on: September 23, 2010, 08:07:41 AM »
Maybe I am just prejudiced. Sometime ago my children and I were forced into being "homeless", because we were escaping a bad situation that we were forced into. My children were 10 and 12 years old at the time. Fortunately I had a motorhome, so although we were "homeless" according to the state we had it much better then many people. We parked in the driveway of someone's house but their neighbor complained to the police (who had his house up for sale at the time) and although we were clean we had to leave. We went from parking lot to parking lot, etc. I learned where to park and for how long without getting woke up at 3am and told to leave. We didnt party or have bar-b-ques in parking lots or otherwise draw attention to ourselves. I found a dump station with a place to fill up water for free. My kids were at the time kinda upset about all the moving around we had to do and eventually I was able to find more permanent parking in another friend's driveway where the neighbors didnt mind a bit. Today my kids talk about that period in our life very fondly and thought it was fun. I do agree these people need to clean up their act, if nothing else then for the example they are setting for thier kids (though I didnt notice any kids in the pictures and may have just missed that) But I would have given my right arm for a place to park back then for $140 a month!! It would have made schooling sooooo much easier and given the kids more stability.
The Little GTO is a 102" wide and 40' long 1983 GMC RTS II and my name is Teresa in case I forgot to sign my post

artvonne

« Reply #17 on: September 23, 2010, 08:09:27 AM »
  By the looks of it, its how they are living and for how long they have been living there that has gotten the councils attention. I know there are many having a difficult time, in a situation they didnt plan. But it appears these people are not there from circumstance as much as choice. They choose to work hit and miss jobs, and coast the rest of the time. I dont have a problem with that. What I would have aproblem with is people parking semi permanently, and not moving when asked. I dont think people as a whole really mind Gypsys, they come, they go, they leave no trace. These people arent gypsys, and they dont appear to be leaving no trace. Spray painting the sides of the Bus doesnt help either, what if everyone started painting protest statements on their house?

If they left for a while, picked a new spot up the road, and waited for everything to cool down, the problem would disappear and they could come back again. But they dont want to do that, they are being obstinate, and in this case the Council will probably enact legislation that will wreck it for everyone else. You and me both.

They stayed too long.

Offline luvrbus

« Reply #18 on: September 23, 2010, 08:17:34 AM »
There will never be a development on that river in a flood plain and besides no telling who owns the water rights to the river it probably belongs to some city in CA.

good luck
Life is short drink the good wine first

Offline kyle4501

• NEWELL in South Carolina
« Reply #19 on: September 23, 2010, 08:47:30 AM »
Don't get me wrong, I'm not against the homeless - I am against free loaders & those that 'work the system' so they don't have to work a full time job.

Ever hear the expression "beggars can't be choosers" ?
In a democratic republic, the more $$ you have, the more options become available. That provides the incentive to improve things.
If 'they' ain't paying, 'they' shouldn't get the same options as those that do pay. Otherwise, why can't I use the next nice conversion I see?

I think it is a good thing to offer assistance to those in need. I'm not too thrilled about entitlements or enabling though it is often impossible to tell the difference at the time.

During her time of homelessness, Happycamperbrat was looking to abide by the rules & worked within them - even tho it added to her burden. She worked within the established rules to get along with society as a whole. One of the results is a family with fond memories free from the bitterness of being perceived as victims.

The 'transient bus people' don't seem to grasp the concept of working with society. They seem to be of a mindset that they have the right to do wherever they want regardless of the impact on others.

From what I gathered, the 'city' hasn't told them they can't live in their buses, but just that the city doesn't want them in that location.

It seems the 'transient bus people' want to choose where they park without the obligation of paying for it.

I sincerely hope that we all see the negative ramifications of letting that be allowed to become a legal precedent.
Life is all about finding people who are your kind of crazy

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please (Mark Twain)

Education costs money.  But then so does ignorance. (Sir Claus Moser)

cody

« Reply #20 on: September 23, 2010, 09:25:07 AM »
Without knowing more about the specifics of the case it's hard to tell what exactly is going on, we all know that news accounts are entirely unbiased at all times don't we lol, we can sit here and second guess the situation all day and still not know what is happening there, but we do see it happening all over the country, again, we don't exactly know why, but we do know that this may be a growing trend and the more facts we can find will help us to better understand the trend if that is what it turns out to be.  With the economy slipping further into the dumpster we'll probably find more people thrust into dire situations, some will go that route anyway, others may not have a choice, I remember my grandfather telling me about the shanty towns that sprung up all over the country during the depression, I hope and pray that we don't see economic conditions like that again but it could happen again and could happen to some of us.

Offline Ed Hackenbruch

« Reply #21 on: September 23, 2010, 10:06:07 AM »
Ummm, Lin?  Moab is located in Grand County.....That is why the County Council is called the Grand County Council.   ;D
Used to own a 1968 MCI 5A and a 1977 5C.

Offline pabusnut

• P8M4905A-333 former MK&O lines #731
« Reply #22 on: September 23, 2010, 10:42:05 AM »
OK,  I am probably way off base here, but here goes.

We live in a prosperous country where few really go hungry.  We enjoy probably the highest standard of living (for our populus) in the free world.  We have all sorts of freedoms.  Other countries view us as rich even if we are at the bottom of the middle class. 

I dislike when we are mandated by our government to maintain a certain standard of living.  Try building a new home and tell them you will not install indoor plumbing or electric. Public utilities are almost inevitably mandated. Even if you have an acceptable, and legal solution you most likely will not get a building permit.  Home school families frequently have trouble with school districts who believe it is their job to assure that your children receive the appropriate level of social interaction and adequate education.  It is nearly mandated that you have a high speed internet to access all the information now that is web-only in many cases.  Soon health insurance will be mandatory for all people, and its likely that the folks who can least afford to get ripped off--will!  We have occupation taxes most everywhere, which are funny because they are not for "occupation" as in employment, but occupation-occupying space in their municipality. The cost of existing alone in this country is probably well above the average annual incomes of people in most third world countries. 

So, when some people try to simplify their life styles, and do it in a responsible manner, they should be commended. 

Others are just plain lazy, looking for any handout they can get so they don't have to do anything. 

A group that I have sympathy for, are the mentally ill.  Because they are not a threat to themselves or others, they do not qualify or choose treatment, whatever is the case.  These people are often homeless, even if family members try to help them.  They often live on the streets, and in the margins, but are still human beings, like us, who have an illness that is little understood and even less cared about. 

The whole Gist I am getting at is we need to remember our "right to Pursue happiness", but temper it with compassion and respect for all of us in this race together--the Human Race!

Steve Toomey
PAbusnut

Steve Toomey
PAbusnut

Offline Lin

• 1965 MC-5a
« Reply #23 on: September 23, 2010, 12:05:11 PM »
Ed, Thanks for the info.  Definitely my mistake there.

Clifford, I meant what I said.  If you had put a new set of tires on it, I would have taken it.  It was gassed up, right?

Obviously, there are lots of different scenarios for people being homeless.  However, from the information given in the report, the only complaints were that they were on a flood plain and it violated zoning.  Since they did not bring it up, it did not seem sanitation, other hazards, crime, or neighbors were a problem.  If they could park on gov't land for $140/year, it would seem to cover the needs of several of those people. 
You don't have to believe everything you think.

Offline kyle4501

• NEWELL in South Carolina
« Reply #24 on: September 23, 2010, 12:14:20 PM »
. . . So, when some people try to simplify their life styles, and do it in a responsible manner, they should be commended. 

Others are just plain lazy, looking for any handout they can get so they don't have to do anything. . . .
Steve Toomey
PAbusnut

There in lies the problem - who is to determine the difference between responsible & lazy?

Concerning zoning & codes -
I have had the pleasure of working behind those who followed the zoning code & those that did not. While the code is far from perfect, it is usually better than nothing.

Concerning building a residence without indoor plumbing -
I don't know about you, but I know what an outdoor privy smells like, & I sure as hell don't want ANYONE in my neighborhood having one of those!  :o

Concerning the points brought up in the news article-
I'd be very surprised if there weren't plenty of other objections, those were the easiest for the reporter to understand.  ::)

I got the impression the campers wanted to park there, not just anywhere. . . . Like has been said, we don't have all the information. . . .
Life is all about finding people who are your kind of crazy

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please (Mark Twain)

Education costs money.  But then so does ignorance. (Sir Claus Moser)

Offline boxcarOkie

« Reply #25 on: September 23, 2010, 01:58:23 PM »
If any of you guys have been in that area like we were this summer you would see why the city wants it gone 5 years ago that was a nice family parking area we always stayed there,we saw one guy dumping his toilet in the river (a 5 gal can) nasty people there now people.
Lots of people  can not afford money for campgrounds like the ones in Quartzsite but they are clean you never see that in Quartzsite from the people living there 6 months a year.
Moab is a nice area it shouldn't have that JMO.
I guess taking pride is not high on the list for those people living in that spot you can be poor with no money and still be neat and clean there is no law against that

good luck

I agree Moab is a neat little place, spent three days there waiting on a tire back in 2006.  What is JMO?  Just my opinion?

BCO

Offline JackConrad

• Orange Blossom Special II
  • 73' MC-8 8V71/HT740 Southwest Florida
« Reply #26 on: September 23, 2010, 02:26:40 PM »

Concerning building a residence without indoor plumbing -
I don't know about you, but I know what an outdoor privy smells like, & I sure as hell don't want ANYONE in my neighborhood having one of those!

While visiting friends near Grand Rapids, MI, we were shown a new house that was just completed. It was built by an Amish family and they had a go-round with the county over installing plumbing and electrical. They were finally allowed to build without the plumbing or electrical. Of course, this will limit their market, should they decide to sell.  Jack
Growing Older Is Mandatory, Growing Up Is Optional
Arcadia, Florida, When we are home
http://s682.photobucket.com/albums/vv186/OBS-JC/

Offline Paladin

• Dave Knight
« Reply #27 on: September 23, 2010, 07:20:42 PM »
No offense to the skoolie crowds because they aren't alone yet whenever I tell someone I own a bus the very first question they ask is if it's a converted old school bus and the second is what does it look like?
Those pictures bother me because while they have a right to do as they please I don't want anyone confusing them with me (or us as a group I would hope) though right now I'm probably the poor cousin to some of them, especially according to my neighbor. I'm a workin' on it :D

I don't care what you have but at least try not to look like hillbillies or hippies! Have some pride in your rig.
(Crap...another apology required, no offense to hillbillies or hippies either, you know what I mean.)
'75 MC-8   'Event Horizon'
8V71  HT740
Salt Lake City, Utah

"Have bus will travel read the card of the man, a Knight without armor in a savage land...."

Offline Christyhicks

• 1991 Beaver Prevost LeMirage XL
« Reply #28 on: September 24, 2010, 03:59:37 AM »
Well, there is a simple solution to help these guys.  I would suggest that if you truly feel these are great guys who are doing no harm to the area, I'm sure if you contact the county authorities and let them know you have property where these guys can put their buses and live in them, I'm sure they would pass that info along to them.  Christy Hicks
If chased by a bear, you don't need to run faster than the bear, just faster than your companion!

Offline boxcarOkie

« Reply #29 on: September 24, 2010, 04:25:43 AM »
I have been following this for a couple of days now.  My first bus was a schoolie, my second an old hound, and now I have an Eagle, it is my last bus.  I have lived and been a member of the bus community for awhile.  I live in Oklahoma which has the proud reputation of having 9 times the national average on trash picked up on the interstate highways. 

We have our fair share of people who litter or trash hogs.

I have actually met some folks who brag about "never having to use a dump station" and claim that side roads are okay or just fine.  We have picked up trash in Walmart lots after bus owners or RV Campers drove off and left it there. 

Some folks I know have a small Mom and Pop Cafe and they decided to expand their parking lot next door.  So they hauled in some gravel and leveled it all off.  Really nice, cost them dearly to set it all up.  It immediately started attracting traffic of all sorts.

Immediately people starting using it and of course, abusing it.  The one gallon jugs of urine started showing up, then there was the constant pile of trash and pet problems.  So not to be deterred they put out three 50 gallon drums clearly marked "trash."  Of course you know the rest, they did NOT get used.  Now in the end it had to be closed.  They hauled off the gravel, re-sodded the lot, put in some RR Ties to discourage traffic and it was closed.

Bus, truck, car it don't matter ... We are the enemy.  We do it to ourselves.

BCO

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal