Author Topic: Off the wall electrical question  (Read 2234 times)

Offline wal1809

Off the wall electrical question
« on: September 28, 2010, 04:50:41 PM »
I don't know if they make it but i am looking for a relay.  The one I am looking for will operated by 12v on off switch allowing or not allowing 110v to a pump.  If you know they make them or well them please let me know.  I'll thank you in advance.
1984 Silver Eagle Model 10 6V92 Allison auto tranny
www.snakebreaker.com

Offline Sean

• Geek.
  • '85 Neoplan Spaceliner "Odyssey"
    • Our Odyssey
Re: Off the wall electrical question
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2010, 05:32:47 PM »
Thousands of them.

Need to know how many amps or watts the pump draws on start-up to give you a more exact reference.

-Sean
http://OurOdyssey.BlogSpot.com
Full-timing in a 1985 Neoplan Spaceliner since 2004.
Our blog: http://OurOdyssey.BlogSpot.com

Offline WEC4104

« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2010, 05:40:07 PM »
Sounds like something similar to a project I installed years ago.   I have a 12 VDC switch on my dash. It is wired to a solid state relay at the rear of the bus that controls the engine block heater (110 VAC).   I used a Crydom TD1225 solid state relay.   The input side accepts 3 - 32 V Dc to close the circuit on the output side (maximum of 25 amps.)   Works like a champ.  I mounted the relay inside a standard sized electrical outlet box.

On cold mornings I used to have to go outside, walk to the back of the bus, open the tailgate and plug in a cord.  Now, from the warmth and comfort of the bus, I just flip the dash switch.
If you're going to be dumb, you gotta be tough.

Offline wal1809

« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2010, 07:46:42 PM »
Thousands of them.

Need to know how many amps or watts the pump draws on start-up to give you a more exact reference.

-Sean
http://OurOdyssey.BlogSpot.com

Thank you Sean!  I will get the info on the pump tomorrow.  It is a small half horse
power blue 1 inch clear water pump from harbor freight.  I intend to use a 12 volt switch on the dash to a relay to give 110 volt power to the pump.  The pump will be used maybe 4 minutes per hour of drive time as it will transfer oil from the 100 gallon oil tank to the 22 gallon heated tank at the rear of the bus.
www.snakebreaker.com

Offline wal1809

« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2010, 06:17:21 PM »
Thank you Sean, I went by Granger today and ordered the part.  I beleive this is going to work.
www.snakebreaker.com

Offline wal1809

« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2010, 06:21:31 PM »
Sounds like something similar to a project I installed years ago.   I have a 12 VDC switch on my dash. It is wired to a solid state relay at the rear of the bus that controls the engine block heater (110 VAC).   I used a Crydom TD1225 solid state relay.   The input side accepts 3 - 32 V Dc to close the circuit on the output side (maximum of 25 amps.)   Works like a champ.  I mounted the relay inside a standard sized electrical outlet box.

On cold mornings I used to have to go outside, walk to the back of the bus, open the tailgate and plug in a cord.  Now, from the warmth and comfort of the bus, I just flip the dash switch.

Now this post was a piece of shear genius.  I do hope you don't mind me copying your engineering!
www.snakebreaker.com

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal