Author Topic: A strange encounter  (Read 4909 times)

Offline RickB

• 81 MCI 9 smooth side 8V71 Allison 754
A strange encounter
« on: October 02, 2010, 04:07:04 PM »
I have to admit I am a bit reluctant to bring this up. Alright, you all know that I am keeping my eyes open for a repower 8v92 and that I'm not happy with my 754 and would rather have a 740. And we have all heard the saying "If it sounds to good to be true, then it probably is.

So, this last week I found the dream combo on Craigslist. A completely rebuilt 8v92 and a 740 along with it with an asking price of $7500. I spoke to the guy in California and he gave me the scoop on the motor/tranny and the first thing I noticed was his return email was his name followed by the words: next level coaches. So, I wanted to see if he did good conversions and I find myself at , you guessed it, Sam Walker ent. I have heard enough about the guy and how his dealings with folks here on the board had ended him up in prison. So, when I received the documents of the rebuild the guy, his name was Brian, the pedco receipt had his address as California. Unfortunately this guy said he had it rebuilt in PA. That means there is a possibility they forged the bills they sent me as proof that the motor ans tranny had been gone through and then, and here's the kicker, he reneges on the price we had agreed upon 7K and says he can't let it go for under 8K. I would never list a price for something and then raise it after someone has expressed interest in it. And the he said the words I had been hoping I wouldn't hear "Me and my partner thought we would change the price after the fact". I have a name in mind when I start to wondering who his partner is.

All in all the whole thing felt slimy to say the least.

So, I am most definitely not going to buy this combo and I would appreciate it if we would all look at this as an opportunity to learn and a near miss rather than a forum on how good or bad a guy Sam is. We have all read about his past and in truth most us have things in our past we'd rather forget.

Ask good questions, be diligent and you can catch a master of magic's slight of hand.

Thanks,
Rick
I will drive my Detroit hard... I will drive my Detroit hard.

Offline busdriver58

• Eagles Fan
Re: A strange encounter
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2010, 04:40:06 PM »
Why you're not happy with your 754?

Chihuahua, MX
1969 Eagle 05 8V92/Auto &
1964 Eagle 01 8V71/Std

Offline John316

• MCI 1995 DL3, DD S60, Allison B500.
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2010, 05:19:45 PM »
I have said that Sam is a crook from day one. We even met him after he was in prison, and he was on parole when we met him, and he was still the same.

Steer clear of him, folks. Rick has good advice. Heed it.

God bless,

John
Sold - MCI 1995 DL3. DD S60 with a Allison B500.

Offline RickB

« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2010, 05:44:29 PM »
The 754 came in two models the 1rst gear start and the 2nd gear start and mine is the 2nd gear start. Obviously taking off in 2nd gear makes an underpowered motor seem even more underpowered. I have considered getting all the stuff to change it over to a 1rst gear start but I haven't made it happen yet. I'm thinking I would probably really like the 1rst gear start because I have ridden in some 740 equipped buses and they have alot more get up and go from a dead stop.

Thanks,

rick

Offline happycamperbrat

« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2010, 08:57:07 PM »
Okay, I just searched "Sam Walker" and didn't come up with anything relevant. I'm kinda new here,  I'm also nosey and sometimes gossipy.......... who is he? what did he do? who did he do it to?
The Little GTO is a 102" wide and 40' long 1983 GMC RTS II and my name is Teresa in case I forgot to sign my post

Offline TomC

« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2010, 09:06:56 PM »
RickB-Instead of going through all the rig a ma ro to change out your transmission to first gear start-just pull your shifter down to first when you want more ooomph at start.  I do alot of manual shifting on my Allison-just like I imagine many others do to.  Try manually shifting it-I think you'll like the results.  Good Luck, TomC
Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.

Offline ruthi

« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2010, 09:50:35 PM »
Happycamperbrat, you dont want to go there. You didnt search deep enough. I too wanted to find out about him, and found plenty. Dig a little deeper and google and you will find plenty to gossip about. It has been discussed plenty on here in the past, maybe do a search on here for him. Have fun, lol.
Mixed up Dina, ready for the road as of 12/25/2010
Home in middle Georgia, located somewhere in the
southeast most of the time.
FIRST RALLY ATTENDED: BUSSIN 2011!

Offline happycamperbrat

« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2010, 07:21:04 AM »
I just put in "Sam Walker" it seems that "sam" is in a bunch of irrelevant threads and so is "walker"...... but someone pm'd me and got me up to date showing me a thread even with different opinions. Thanks!
The Little GTO is a 102" wide and 40' long 1983 GMC RTS II and my name is Teresa in case I forgot to sign my post

Offline RickB

« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2010, 11:08:26 AM »
Tom C,

The problem is some of the 2nd gear starts are not supposed to be shifted out of 1rst while the bus is moving. Although I have shifted out of 1rst manually it dosn't feel good at all. Big hesitation etc. so I am assuming I have one of the do not manually shift out of 1rst while moving transmission's.
If not for that I would totally agree that it would be easier to just shift manually.

Rick

Offline JackConrad

• Orange Blossom Special II
  • Global Moderator
  • 73' MC-8 8V71/HT740 Southwest Florida
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2010, 03:14:19 PM »
I just put in "Sam Walker" it seems that "sam" is in a bunch of irrelevant threads and so is "walker"...... but someone pm'd me and got me up to date showing me a thread even with different opinions. Thanks!

Teresa,
    Chech your PMs  Jack
Growing Older Is Mandatory, Growing Up Is Optional
Arcadia, Florida, When we are home
http://s682.photobucket.com/albums/vv186/OBS-JC/

Offline Rick59-4104

« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2010, 03:32:08 PM »
 Wow, Just Google Sam Walker Bus and there is plenty to read on the guy.
Rick
NW Arkansas
1959 GM 4104  No. 4115
1972 Grumman Kurbmaster Stepvan Conversion
1957 Airstream 13 panel Overlander

Offline TomC

« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2010, 04:04:10 PM »
RickB-sounds like you have the HT750DR which have these ratios- 1)- 7.97; 2)- 3.19; 3)- 2.02; 4)- 1.40; 5)- Direct.  As compared to the HT754CR which are- 1)- 3.692; 2)- 2.02; 3)- 1.51; 4)- 1.25; 5)- Direct. So your 5spd DR has almost the same top 4 gears as the HT740.  For the amount of money it would take to switch over-I'm not sure it would be worth it.  Good Luck, TomC
Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.

Offline happycamperbrat

« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2010, 10:46:47 PM »
Thanks Jack! I guess I should have put in "Sam Walker Bus" instead of just "Sam Walker" on the home page search?

Offline kyle4501

• NEWELL in South Carolina
« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2010, 06:03:32 AM »
Rick,
Would a different torque converter help? There are several to choose from for different torque multiplication factors, maybe there is one that could work for you.

Good luck in your quest, the more options you have to choose from, the more fun the quest is.

Good post to remind us all of "buyer beware" & the advantages of critical thinking.
Glad sam wasn't able to set the hook & reel you in.
Life is all about finding people who are your kind of crazy

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please (Mark Twain)

Education costs money.  But then so does ignorance. (Sir Claus Moser)

Offline RickB

« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2010, 02:04:16 PM »
Tom I have the 754 CRD and all I can say is shifting out of 1rst manually really doesn't feel good. The bus tends to lurch and hesitate and it just feels like I shouldn't be doing it.
That statement coming from a guy who also has trouble running up to the governor and holding it there.  ;D It must be all those small block chevrolet instincts of my youth.
Redline was something you never felt comfortable spending any extended time at.
Tom you are a wealth of knowledge to this board and I appreciate your advice.
Thanks
Rick
Also, I went back and looked at the receipts that the guy with the 8v92 sent and the address for the mitor rebuild was PA. I am still gonna pass but I wanted to set the record straight