Author Topic: Yanmar engine question on Martin Gen Set  (Read 3308 times)

Offline Bill in KS

Yanmar engine question on Martin Gen Set
« on: October 03, 2010, 03:59:54 PM »
I have a 650-DS generator , engine is 3TNA72E-S.  3 Cyl. engine.  When I bought the coach from the widow and son the stop solenoid had burnt up when the son was testing all of the equipment ( almost dead generator starter battery) so I never heard it run.  I feel it is a good unit but it has sat for 3 years or more. Only has 300 hours on the clock.

According to the manual the shut down solenoid pulls in and allows the high pressure pump to feed the injectors.  I pulled the shut down solenoid off of the high pressure pump.  Then cranked and cranked, no start. 

I pulled the outlet line off of the low pressure pump that feeds the injector pump and plenty of flow.   I cracked all three lines at the injector and got a few bubbles on two of the three.  I cranked the engine and  cracked the lines coming out of the high pressure pump and don't see anything. 

I have a feeling the shut down piston in the high pressure pump is stuck from sitting for so long.   Please let me know if anyone one has battled this and what to look for.

thanks
Bill in KS
PD4104-4797 in SE Kansas

Offline niles500

• Niles500
  • ROSIE
Re: Yanmar engine question on Martin Gen Set
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2010, 04:12:05 PM »
Bill - Do yourself a favor, when your sitting in fornt of the genset, call Paul @ Martin 866-868-9911 - He'll have you straightened in 2 minutes or less- Save the number it's priceless - If your ever thru Defiance (Independence) Ohio stop and let him service your genset - Remember he recommends a new bearing at about 7k hours - HTH
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")  

- Niles

Offline Bill in KS

« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2010, 05:00:24 PM »
niles500:

Thanks. I'll give'm a call.

Bill

PD4104-4797 in SE Kansas

Offline luvrbus

« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2010, 05:01:24 PM »
Bill, here is a bleeder screw on the side of the injection pump open that screw pump some fuel till it runs solid from the filters and that valve then it should go

good luck
Life is short drink the good wine first

Offline Bill in KS

« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2010, 06:32:46 PM »
luvrbus:
Thanks for the info.

I bled it at the banjo bolt at the high pressure pump ( there is a 10mm headed bolt in the center of that banjo fitting).  I'll give it another round with Martin on the phone tomorrow.

Bill in KS
PD4104-4797 in SE Kansas

Offline Paladin

• Dave Knight
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2010, 08:12:29 PM »
Not to hijack the thread but I'm unfamiliar with Yanmar although I've seen quite of bit of the name recently. Are they good? Parts available etc?
'75 MC-8   'Event Horizon'
8V71  HT740
Salt Lake City, Utah

"Have bus will travel read the card of the man, a Knight without armor in a savage land...."

Offline justin25taylor

• 1974 05 Eagle and 1986 10 Eagle
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2010, 09:02:37 PM »
Not to hijack the thread but I'm unfamiliar with Yanmar although I've seen quite of bit of the name recently. Are they good? Parts available etc?

Absolutely! I have 2 Yanmar/Martin sets and one Kubota/Powertech. One of the Martin 15KW's has just under 20,000 hours. Nothing but fresh oil and air,fuel, and oil filters.
Would not hesitate for a second about recommending ether of them.

Good Luck,
Justin

Offline luvrbus

« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2010, 09:12:02 PM »
Two other engines you will find on generators are the Shibaura and the Isuzu good engines the Shibaura is used on some PowerTech under the CAT name.
The Isuzu is the best engine they cost a little more than the others so you don't see as many

good luck
Life is short drink the good wine first

Offline roadrunnertex

« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2010, 06:54:54 AM »
I also have a Martin 17.5KW Yanmar  4 cylinder diesel that is turbo charged nice unit runs fine and will power the coach plus some of the items inside our house when we have a power failure.
The fuel injection pump will gum up if the engine is not ran for any long period of time this happend to my Yanmar so I make it a point to crank and run it every week or two.
jlv 

Offline JLL

« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2010, 09:23:10 AM »
How good are Yanmar's?   John Deere uses them in tractors and they are used a lot in marine use. 
I've had a Martin Generator, with a 3 cyl. eng,  20 years in my bus with out a bit of trouble. 
JLL

Offline niles500

• Niles500
  • ROSIE
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2010, 12:10:18 PM »
Sailboats have been using Yanmars as auxiliary motors for years in conditions far worse than our uses - FWIW
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")  

- Niles

Offline Bill in KS

« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2010, 09:17:25 PM »
Update:

rack is stuck in the closed position.  After a few hours or spray'n penatrate oil and messing with it through the inspection port hole I figured out that the racking being stuck in the fully closed position won't let it slide out of the housing.  Got creative with some smaller heal bars and I got the rack to slide a bit towards the open position and get the pump pulled out.  Gonna let the pro's tear it down and fix it. 

Bill in KS
PD4104-4797 in SE Kansas

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal