Author Topic: Found two MCI's  (Read 3417 times)

Offline waynemcd

Found two MCI's
« on: October 04, 2010, 11:04:55 AM »
Need a little advice here.  Looking to convert a bus for fulltime RVing and found 2 MCI's here in Anchorage, Alaska.  1975 and 1979.  The 75 has an 8v92 and the 79 a 8v71.  He is asking $12,000 and $10,000 respectively.  Price seems a little high.  They were used by a tour company in Fairbanks, Ak for several years and having lived there, I know they do not salt the roads in the winter time but will have to do thorough inspection for rust.  Buses are clean in appearance and the insides look almost new.  What is a fair price for each?  Not independently wealthy so am not able to purchase a 102c3 at this point.  Any advice would be helpful.  Thanks

Offline bevans6

• 1980 MCI MC-5C
Re: Found two MCI's
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2010, 01:34:03 PM »
Wayne, if those buses were in the south, the prices might be high, but the market where you are may be completely different.  I think that price for a bus is far more related to condition and maintenance for what it's actual value is, but scarcity and availability set the market rate for what you could or should pay.  You don't say what models they are, but presuming the earlier one is an MC-8, then the 8V-92 is a pretty useful upgrade in power, but could mean trouble if the cooling system is stock.  All else being totally equal, the later one, if it's an MC-9, could be better since the construction changed to more stainless steel in the frame structure with that model.  But it has the 8V71 and potentially a lot less HP.  Transmission also matters - manual or auto?  Tires? Recent brake job?  Up to date on maintenance of all the little air valves and hoses?  Integral steering upgrade on either of them?

Hope this helps a bit.  Probably doesn't, since it just adds questions!

Brian
1980 MCI MC-5C, 8V-71T from a M-110 self propelled howitzer
Allison MT-647
Tatamagouche, Nova Scotia

Offline waynemcd

« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2010, 09:37:08 PM »
Brian,
Does help quite a bit.  They are both MC9's.  The tires look good but I don't know their ages.  Both buses have automatics.  The steel on the sides is straight, no damaged to front or rear bumpers.  Have the appearance of have been well cared for but I do not have any maintance records.  I assumed that since the one was an 1975 that it probably was an MCI 8 but from your comment sounds as if it could be a 9 as well.  They are advertized as MCI 9s. Thanks for your  response. Gives me somewhere to go in the search process.

Offline bevans6

• 1980 MCI MC-5C
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2010, 03:37:51 AM »
The transition to MC-9 happened in 1979, so the one with the question mark is the later one.  The other one is a MC-8 if it's a 1975.  Per all the documentation anyway.

Brian
1980 MCI MC-5C, 8V-71T from a M-110 self propelled howitzer
Allison MT-647
Tatamagouche, Nova Scotia

Offline robertglines1

• steam nut
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2010, 05:43:17 AM »
is first side window slanted=8  if rectangular = 9   were a few minor exceptions as mci used up left over parts in 79..I had a 8 and had no problems with it ,good coach and solid..make for sure in 8 it is a 8v92 not a 8v71..bigger motor =more torque=as a general rule more fuel consumption.Tires a a great expense ck them out mainly dates..rule of thumb no matter how they look replace at 10 yrs..welcome to the hobby   Bob
Bob@Judy  98 XLE prevost with 3 slides --Home done---last one! SW INdiana

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal