Author Topic: Is a gasoline generator good enough for limited use?  (Read 21972 times)

Offline gus

Re: Is a gasoline generator good enough for limited use?
« Reply #30 on: August 31, 2006, 06:15:34 PM »
JimC,

I like your setup. Timimg is perfect since I'm about to install a new Honda EV6010 liquid cooled gas gen I would like to use the wheels idea. I have a couple of questions;

It appears that the wheels run fore and aft instead of across the bus?  Why is this, it would appear that having the wheels across would make it easy to roll the gen out if needed?

I can't find the hold down strap, is it in the center and is there only one?

I don't see the logic in all the worries about gas generators. I see no reason mine won't last the life of the bus and gas has to be quieter than a diesel. This thing is not going to be used 24/7 and must be half the weight of diesels.
PD4107-152
PD4104-1274
Ash Flat, AR

Offline gus

« Reply #31 on: August 31, 2006, 06:25:20 PM »
JimC,

I found the straps, you said clearly they are on the tires, I just didn't read carefully.

Another thing that amuses me is posts saying gasoline is dangerous?? Of course gasoline is dangerous but I don't often read of any gas vehicles exploding. Do all these people drive only diesel cars?
PD4107-152
PD4104-1274
Ash Flat, AR

Offline NJT5047

« Reply #32 on: August 31, 2006, 06:37:26 PM »
The problem with gasoline genset is not necessarily the life of the engine...it's more a maintenance item.   The most tedious thing is that every time they sit for 4 or 5 months, you'll have to clean the carb, throw in a spark plug (maybe) and just futz with it.  Gas genset run a good bit hotter than diesel generators...the heat buildup and potential  fire hazard is a negative.   Some gas gensets are quiet, but smaller ones will buzz with all sorts of harmonics.  The heat will damage the gen head and electronics.   Gas generators, with exception of Onan and other specific RV generators, are not designed to be installed inside an enclosure.   RV gas gensets are almost as expensive as a diesel.   Separate fuel tanks add to the dual fuel thing.
LP generators are low maintenance, but may be hard to start in cold weather.  Right now, fuel costs for LP are moot...but typically, LP gensets are hungry.   More complex plumbing than gasoline.  
Properly installing a gasoline fuel tank is a PITA in itself.   Don't want any errors in that.  
Otherwise, gasoline generators work fine.  I've got a Coleman Vanguard gas genset that I use to run my wells when the power fails and it has worked witout issue for almost 8 years.  Goes way back.   All I've done is clean the carb almost every year...only because it isn't exercised, and charge the battery.  
When you figure the cost of a proper fuel tank, fillers, vents, plumbing, the genset, etc, a diesel may look a little better.
One things for sure...a gas genset will work.  
BTW, the anchoring strap is over the rear (?) wheels...the ones in front of the gen head.  The front wheels don't have a hold down strap that I can see.  Looks like a swing out arrangement is incorporated.  
BTW, from some negative experiences, I'd strongly avoid Onan Microlight series gensets.  They are not large enough anyway at 4K, but resist this if it crosses your mind.   The old Emerald units were good solid generators that are not expensive, and work...but, no 220VAC in the event you want that.
My dos centavos...JR
JR Lynch , Charlotte, NC
87 MC9, 6V92TA DDEC, HT748R ATEC

"Every government interference in the economy consists of giving an unearned benefit, extorted by force, to some men at the expense of others.”

Ayn Rand

belfert

« Reply #33 on: August 31, 2006, 06:48:12 PM »
I had a onan gen set, it was a twin cyl deisel, nothing but trouble , vibration , finally caught on fire due to a fuel leak and i pulled it out and replaced it with a 7 kw gasoline markee, its a really nice quiet little unit and vibration free, i like it so well its going to stay put, onan says its the quietest one out there and i think they are right. i installed a fuel tank in the front bay and it has worked well for me.

My Onan has a three cylinder Kubota motor so it probably isn't the same one as you had.  I don't think there is anything inherently wrong with the Onan.  Properly isolated and soundproofed it would likely be just fine.  I just don't really have the time to get it isolated and such before my trip in just over three weeks.  The Powertech also uses a Kubota, but it has all the isolation and soundproofing done.

I forgot that the Onan Marquis has an enclosure.  I will have to look into that.  I was thinking the big Onan gassers for RVs were open frame.

Brian Elfert

Offline TomCat

• It's 4:20 somewhere...
    • Jay's Conversion Pics
« Reply #34 on: August 31, 2006, 08:49:22 PM »
An LP Onan works fine for me, even where I live at 7000' MSL. You can hardly hear it run from inside the coach, or feel any vibration when standing over the spot where it's mounted. Pretty damn quiet outside too.
http://jsbird69.zoto.com/user/image_detail/IMG.88.e44cc42febbd8f2b0b27d092ec832ae2-_CAT.0/date_uploaded-desc/0-90

Jay
87 SaftLiner
On The High Plains of Colorado

Offline gus

« Reply #35 on: September 01, 2006, 06:47:15 PM »
NJT,

You probably are not aware of the Honda EV series, 4 and 6KW. These are liquid cooler gas RV gen made to be enclosed. Some pther users have told me that they are exceptionally quiet even though they are high rpm. If Honda makes it that is half the battle, everything they make is excellent.

This 6KW gen is half the price of a diesel.

The gas tank is not an issue for us older bus owners with original gasoline tanks installed.

Stale gas is a real pain but, as you said, the gen should be exercised regularly anyway. Even diesel gen should be exercised, none like disuse.

My old Onan runs well but it is too noisy, shaky and gets too hot. I know it is going to fail eventually and it is too old to spend any money repairing. (1978) I'm going to use it for the house standby, perfect for that. Also I've read numerous times on this board that Onan support by Cummins is a disgrace, too bad because they are good sets.
PD4107-152
PD4104-1274
Ash Flat, AR

Offline NJT5047

« Reply #36 on: September 01, 2006, 07:11:30 PM »
Gus, if I had a fuel tank already installed, and a nice RV liquid cooled genset like a Honda EV (or PoweTech, or Onan), I'd be happy with it.   
As you say, gotta exercise the units.   I have absolutely no problem with gasoline gensets designed for RV installs. 
Most S&Ss have exactly that installed, and they don't cause much trouble.   Some are extremely quiet. 
It's the units designed to sit on the ground that I don't believe belong in a conversion.   I've seen several installed in RVs and they are dangerous.   
A 4kw doesn't seem large enough for a bus conversion, but the 6kw would work.   I've been using a Yamaha EDL6500 for several years and it works fine..however, I make use of LP for appliances.  An all electric coach would be strained on 6kw.
My Yamaha diesel was only $4K.   How does that compare to a Honda EV?    It was a PITA to install...unlike an RV ready unit.   I stripped it out of it's soundproof box so that it would fit into an MC9 condenser compartment.   I really don't recommend this either.  My genset is crammed into too small a compartment.    It's easy to do routine service, but if it broke...some things are just not going to get fixed with the unit mounted...like the water pump is on the backside of the engine.   
Best, JR

JR Lynch , Charlotte, NC
87 MC9, 6V92TA DDEC, HT748R ATEC

"Every government interference in the economy consists of giving an unearned benefit, extorted by force, to some men at the expense of others.”

Ayn Rand

Offline gus

« Reply #37 on: September 02, 2006, 08:08:56 PM »
JR,

6KW is plenty for me, my 4104 is a modest conversion and I have LP for most things except AC.

Mine is giong into the compartment that contained a 4 cy Contintntal Industrial gasoline engine for the 4104 AC so it is plenty large. Thus the already installed gas tank.

The condenser compartment is forward of that and is smaller.

I know the box construction is going to be a pain but the quiteness is worth it. I also want to make it easily removable and would like to use that pneumatic wheel setup shown earlier. The box must be constructed to very specific dimensions to provide cooling air flow, it cannot be used outside a box.

I'm going to line the box with EHP rollboard for heat and sound protection, this is great stuff.

The Hondas are EV4010 and EV6010, 4KW and 6KW, mine is the 6KW which should be plenty for me. They are rated for full output full time. These are especially made for RVs. My current Onan is an outside standby unit, works well but not good for RVs.
PD4107-152
PD4104-1274
Ash Flat, AR

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal