Author Topic: Motor serial # info  (Read 14891 times)

Offline RickB

• 81 MCI 9 smooth side 8V71 Allison 754
Re: Motor serial # info
« Reply #30 on: October 21, 2010, 06:54:47 AM »
Geoff,

That was a good point, hwoever that would make my bus engine from the 40's or 50's.

Because of some of the issues the motor had before i bought it (3 times it sent coolant out of the head and into the crankcase I am starting to get the feeling that there was a mixup in the original rebuild and they put 71 heads on my 92 block. I'm checking with Curt at Cetral truck here in town and dan at C&J but my gut says someone screwed up big time. The two things that keep me from being sure about that conclusion (because serial #'s can't lie) is the aux drive pulley says 71 as well and I'm not sure a 92 would run as well as my motor does with 60 injectors in it

The bad news is if I ever want to sell my motor, as good a runner as it is, this is a potential parts problem for anyone looking to buy an 8v71.

Rick
I will drive my Detroit hard... I will drive my Detroit hard.

Offline luvrbus

« Reply #31 on: October 21, 2010, 07:08:13 AM »
Rick, pull one of the air box covers and measure the bore a 71 series will be 4.25 and a 92 series 5.00 (4.84) easy to check and will give you the answer

good luck
Life is short drink the good wine first

Offline RickB

« Reply #32 on: October 21, 2010, 07:30:03 AM »
Clifford,

In the words of Paul McCartney " I'd like to say on behalf of the band you've passed the audition". Great info. I have to say it will not be my happiest day if I found out some yahoo put the wrong heads on my motor. If that turns out to be the case let's pray the guy didn't go into airplane maintenance!

Rick

Offline luvrbus

« Reply #33 on: October 21, 2010, 07:49:50 AM »
Rick, the 5 inch measurement should be from the inside to the outside of the liner don't go through the port of the opposite side of the air box should read 5 inches for a 92 series wish you well on this one 

good luck
Life is short drink the good wine first

Offline RickB

« Reply #34 on: October 21, 2010, 08:04:14 AM »
Hey all,
I just got off the phone with Curt and he said that the bolt pattern is different and like you said clifford that the bolts themselves are larger for the 92 so we have concluded that my motor is indeed an 8v71.

He said that with the 7E60 injectors that I am producing around 270-280 HP and that the 65's would bump me to 318 and that 70's would bump me up to 330 or so. He has been and continues to be dead set against me adding a turbo to my existing setup. Timing issues, the heat resistance of the 71 rings when compared to the 92 rings, cost etc.

I think at the end of the day he really cares about Lea and I and he forsee's big problems if we do this without changing pistons, rings,  liners etc.

Heck it's around $1500 just to purchase and install bigger injectors.

A torch and no more tow hitch problem solved right?

Thanks,

rick

Offline Tenor

• Three Men and a Tenor
« Reply #35 on: October 21, 2010, 08:07:30 AM »
Keep the hitch and get a VW bug... ;D

Glenn
Glenn Williams
Lansing, MI
www.threemenandatenor.com
1968 MCI 7 Ser. No. 7476 Unit No. 10056
8v71
4 speed Spicer

Offline Geoff

• Geoff & Sherry's RTS Conversion Pics
« Reply #36 on: October 21, 2010, 08:08:26 AM »
Geoff,

That was a good point, hwoever that would make my bus engine from the 40's or 50's.

Rick

???????????  How do you figure?  I was stamping serial numbers on Detroit blocks in 1980 when I worked for the Detroit Distributor (Williams and Lane) in Berkeley, CA.  You probably have an 8V71.

--Geoff
Geoff
'82 RTS AZ

Offline RickB

« Reply #37 on: October 21, 2010, 08:31:15 AM »
Geoff,

Unless the person who got the letters 8VF wrong also got the 001622 wrong (which could happen I guess)

Because if this was the 1622nd 8v71 made that would make it very,very old. At least that was my thinking. I guess it is entirely possible that someone didn't just get a letter wrong (The A and the V) but that someone put the entire wrong set of numbers on my block.

Either way the serial number on my block will have to be disregarded when ordering any parts for this motor. I guess the old "when you take a part off, replace it with the the same part number" rule is in effect.

This was one of my less enjoyable tasks of my bus owning years...

Rick

Offline kyle4501

• NEWELL in South Carolina
« Reply #38 on: October 21, 2010, 08:59:10 AM »
Rick,
Keep your eyes & ears open for a good used 8V92TA. It may take a while, but there are some good ones out there still in trucks you can take for a drive. Then you could just swap motors & let her rip!  ;D

Of course, once the motor is out of the truck, you'd want to inspect it thoroughly & replace the necessary gaskets before installing it in the bus.
Life is all about finding people who are your kind of crazy

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please (Mark Twain)

Education costs money.  But then so does ignorance. (Sir Claus Moser)

Offline RickB

« Reply #39 on: October 21, 2010, 09:55:20 AM »
Kyle,

Man, I have learned the hard way this year that a truck 92 take alot of work and alot of money to switch over for bus use. Dual oil cooler, motor mounts, engine cradle, flex plate, bellhousing, water pump it is a long list. I would estimate at least 3k in intake and exhaust plumbing and all the peripherals and many hours of labor as well.

My mechanic has me relatively convinced to go with 70 injectors, run the rack,and call it a day.

It's funny because just doing injectors is gonna get me reasonably close to my desired 350 hp.

I took the long way around.

Geoff we are leaning on your explanation that the guy just put the wrong serial # on the new block that they told me was part of the rebuild they did in 2000.

Rick

Offline kyle4501

• NEWELL in South Carolina
« Reply #40 on: October 21, 2010, 10:10:50 AM »
Many paths to the destination.  ;D

I'm already looking at a lot of work since I'm converting a Scenicruiser  ::)
It is a bit different & I'm swapping over to an automatic anyways. . . . . So it won't matter much in the long run for me.

I hope your upgrade exceeds your expectations.
Life is all about finding people who are your kind of crazy

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please (Mark Twain)

Education costs money.  But then so does ignorance. (Sir Claus Moser)

Offline Van

« Reply #41 on: October 21, 2010, 10:35:26 AM »
Rick, hang in there kid, I too am wanting the infamous 8-92 but as per our conversation yesterday (always good to talk to ya by the way :)) I will be patiently waiting in the dark( like the NINJA man ;D) for the right one to pounce on ;D Our time will come ;)

Van :)
B&B CoachWorks
Bus Shop Mafia.

Offline bevans6

• 1980 MCI MC-5C
« Reply #42 on: October 21, 2010, 11:43:10 AM »
Won't you also have to change to advanced cam timing with 70 injectors?  Anyway, if you do that let us know how it runs.  I am on a plan to do some work to my engine this winter too, and I've enlisted the aid of Mr Fairchild  ;D to make sure I buy the right parts.  I have a phased approach in mind - rebuild it with kits and blower parts to let it run as a natural, but with the right parts to let me  do a low PSI turbo down the road if desired.  I have N65 injectors right now, and N70's might be a further step.

Brian
1980 MCI MC-5C, 8V-71T from a M-110 self propelled howitzer
Allison MT-647
Tatamagouche, Nova Scotia

Offline RickB

« Reply #43 on: October 21, 2010, 12:43:44 PM »
Brian

You do not have to change cam timing for the 70's.

He has guaranteed me that going from 60's to 70's will be a night and day change.

Rick

Offline Geoff

• Geoff & Sherry's RTS Conversion Pics
« Reply #44 on: October 21, 2010, 05:54:17 PM »
Brian

You do not have to change cam timing for the 70's.

He has guaranteed me that going from 60's to 70's will be a night and day change.

Rick

Yes, you will change day into night with all the black smoke you are going to have!

--Geoff
Geoff
'82 RTS AZ

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal