Author Topic: Window replacements for MC9 - Sliders WITH screens  (Read 9023 times)

Offline arl

Window replacements for MC9 - Sliders WITH screens
« on: October 24, 2010, 06:30:37 PM »
While I'm posting this is another thing that's been bothering me.

We have virtually no circulation in our coach since the windows have no screens and open as awnings. I've only found one source for replacements and they want $450 each. Are there any other options? I'm reasonably handy.

Thanks again, y'all.

cody

Re: Window replacements for MC9 - Sliders WITH screens
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2010, 06:38:33 PM »
Have you concidered any of the RV surplus places for your sliders with screens? there are several, Bontragers is one and RV Surplus is another.  Those are the places I normally buy mine from.

Offline york bus

« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2010, 06:56:50 PM »
Hi Art

I have kept all my original windows and also my original pillar moldings on my 102C3 and have just completed making screens for some of the windows.  I also have kept all my overhead cabinets even adding some when I took out the bathroom.  I have played around with quite a few options and today I made a prototype that allows the original window to open and close and have the screen slide down about an inch to cover the latch part of the window.  Rather than explain here, give me a call at 207-361-4131 (Maine).

Ralph

Offline arl

« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2010, 07:05:56 PM »
Ralph,
   My windows open out like awnings from the top.  so I don't see how to keep them original.  I don't want windows fanned out when I'm going down the road.

Cody,
   I've looked at some RV Surplus places, but they don't cater to coach conversions.  This is an ex-Greyhound motorcoach and not built in any way like an RV.

Thanks!
Alan

Offline luvrbus

« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2010, 07:29:31 PM »
Alan, I bought a few windows from this outfit for replacement of the SE-GI windows in a RV  talking to him he said he could make any window size or shape window with screens maybe worth a try   www.segiwindows.com  I don't like Jeff's price or attitude 

good luck
Life is short drink the good wine first

cody

« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2010, 07:56:30 PM »
I've bought many windows from Bontragers and a few from RV Surplus and they seem to fit just fine, mine are insulated glass, tinted sliders with screens and not only are perfect fits but are made by Hehr and the cost varied between 20 and 40 bucks each new, depending on who the salesperson was. I've put them in my eagle, a few in MCI's and several in GM's without any problems, just need the height and width and thickness of the wall so you can get the proper clamp ring.

Offline arl

« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2010, 08:18:56 PM »
Cody,
   Now you've got me curious.  Are you saying I can get a sliding insulated glass window with screen for $40 that will direct-replace my existing windows in my MCI-9 bus?  Can you give me more specifics on the sources?  Maybe I've been talking to the wrong people.  Thanks!

Alan

cody

« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2010, 08:35:59 PM »
Thats exactly what I'm saying, I've replaced several not only in my iggle but in others buses as well, the last bunch I sent on a cross country adventure while they were on their way to paul lawry in texas (dreamscape), you need to call Bontragers in White Pigeon Michigan or trina at RV Surplus in elkhart. The information they will need is the height of the rough opening and the width of the RO.

Offline Dreamscape

• Dreamscape
  • Global Moderator
  • 1968 Silver Eagle Model 01 8V92T Allison 740 #7443
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2010, 09:06:29 PM »
We are very happy with our Hehr, dual pane sliders that Cody got for us at Bontragers. The width was perfect, the height was 1/2" shorter, but we made it work.

If you look around and give the RO, you might surprised what you can find. Colaws in MO also had a bunch of windows in their yard.

Cody's purchase saved us a bunch of  bucks, enough for 4 tanks of fuel! ;)

It all depends on how deep of a wallet you have, ours is pretty shallow. ::)

Our coach was originally owned by the Dixie Echoes.

Offline bevans6

• 1980 MCI MC-5C
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2010, 05:06:31 AM »
MC-9 windows are basically square and flat, which means you can hope to find inexpensive RV window replacements.  You can decide to basically replace the window complete, and get something that fits into the frame that the original window fits into and becomes fixed in place, or you can get windows that fit into the original hinged window frames with a flange (basically just replacing the glass in the window) and retain the swinging emergency exit feature. 

With my MC-5C windows the front and rear windows on each side are not square at all, so I went with the expensive Peninsula windows.  You can probably get away with the RV windows or custom made from a local place, maybe.

Brian
1980 MCI MC-5C, 8V-71T from a M-110 self propelled howitzer
Allison MT-647
Tatamagouche, Nova Scotia

Offline Red Rider

• God put me here to accomplish certain things--- I'm so far behind I'll never die.
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2010, 07:39:43 AM »
I was fortunate to be given a full set of OEM windows for my 4106. I took four frames apart and made them to fit the opening of my sash. A local screening shop made the screens fit the frame. the task of installing was time consuming but not difficult. I removed the stops so I have two front and two rear screened windows that fully open so DW can have freash air.
Mike AKA; Red Rider 4106-1885

Offline arl

« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2010, 09:58:56 AM »
Howdy everyone - and again, thanks for all your time.  You people are wonderful.  Seriously.  And I hope we get to meet sometime down the road.

Now, back to windows...  I'm getting all excited thinking about inexpensive options and then reading Brian's post he says
MC-9 windows are basically square and flat, ...  With my MC-5C windows the front and rear windows on each side are not square at all, so I went with the expensive Peninsula windows. 
Mine aren't square corners, they're rounded with about a four inch radius.  They hinge at the top and two clips at the bottom hold them shut.  I've always assumed this was stock MCI window design, but maybe there are other kinds.

As for the rough openings, they do have square corners, though I've never taken a window out to examine it closely.

Does that change things or is it consistent with what you've been telling me?  I.e., do my windows allow for this inexpensive option or do I need to  buy the "expensive Peninsula windows" like Brian is talking about?

Thanks so much y'all.  - Alan

PS.   We'll be in Rio Grande Valley in TX during the month of February - check out www.lindsey-family.com for details, in case you'll be in the area.

cody

« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2010, 10:01:34 AM »
Dreamscape is in texas, his windows are representative of what is available, if you're going thru his area, you might find a cup of coffee and a window checkover.

Offline Dreamscape

• Dreamscape
  • Global Moderator
  • 1968 Silver Eagle Model 01 8V92T Allison 740 #7443
« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2010, 01:41:27 PM »
Here is a photo of the Hehr windows we installed to give you an idea of what Cody and I are talking about.

If you guys ever pass through Abilene, TX on your way to one of your events, please stop by. You can PM me and I'll give you directions. We live in a nice RV park with 100' pull thoughs just off I-20.

Our coach was originally owned by the Dixie Echoes.

Offline Cecil The Diesel

• Vagabond Dreamer, Rhymer And Singer Of Songs
    • Peewee Moore
« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2013, 10:45:04 AM »
I love the look of those Hehr windows and would like to get some for my MC9. Do you know what I would ask for when calling Bontragers? Or... should I just give them a measurement? Also what is RO?
1982 MCI MC-9 8V71 5 Speed

Support Independent Outlaw Country
www.peeweemoore.com

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal